The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-01-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 HOG View Post
As a regular acquirer and purveyor of used acoustic guitars, I am curious if others out there stalk the Reverb, EBay, craigslist, and forum listings looking for the proverbial "good deal.".....
Nope. I only peruse the classifieds, here or elsewhere, when I need something. To me, looking to purchase unneeded items is a formula to be property poor and end up accumulating things one doesn't need.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:28 PM

eBay and Facebook Marketplace, I purchased a very nice Taylor 110 and Martin DX1AE for $550 total. I could never buy those new.

Taylor GS Mini
Martin 000-15M
Old 03-01-2019, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
My best was $125 for a 1974 Guild F-50 at a yard sale. The lady was selling all her ex-husband's gear. He must've been very naughty.
scott
Now, that's funny.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
It isn't nearly as important to me to get a good deal as it is to get an excellent guitar.

Bob
Well said. I love a good deal, but if it's not what I want, it does me no good.

I have a friend who buys low, fixes up if needed, sells high, rinse, repeat, ad nauseum. He has fun and has started with inexpensive guitars and worked up to some amazing guitars by the time he's done. Those he keeps.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 HOG View Post
As a regular acquirer and purveyor of used acoustic guitars, I am curious if others out there stalk the Reverb, EBay, craigslist, and forum listings looking for the proverbial "good deal."

I always buy used for this reason, and I seem to love the nice guitars I obtained at a discount even more than the ones I paid full price for. Sometimes I tell fellow player, "Yeah it sounds great, can you believe I only paid $____ for it?"

Do you tend to fork over the full price for a guitar you fall in love with in the store, or are you a deal hunter? If so, what is your best score?
I am a deal hunter for sure. For me, guitars are to an extent a currency hedge. Nobody needs as many guitars as I own. But they'll always be worth something, more often than not, more than I paid.

My best score? 1981 MIJ Epiphone PR-755s... $150, including HSC and a Shure SM58 mic. Below is a photo of it next to my '72 Martin D35.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Epi_Martin_MedRes.jpg (42.6 KB, 67 views)
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 03-01-2019, 09:25 PM

When I am interested in a certain guitar ,I research everything I can about it and see what is out there on the various forums.
I check the years, condition and price.
If I run up on what I consider to be a bargain I sometimes go ahead and pick it up.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:59 AM

I read the OP to mean that you enjoy getting a bargain and are on the lookout for them. It seems like a lot of people read that to mean they love haggling and lowballing.

I am an awful negotiator and haggling takes me far outside of my comfort zone. That leads me to look for interesting items that are already being offered for bargain prices. I won't be enticed to buy something I can't use or won't love just because the price is low. I wasn't looking for a Lowden when I found it listed on Craigslist for $100 from the original owner. It needed some work but I never would have ventured into Lowdens otherwise. I wasn't looking for a Supertone terz when I saw it on Craigslist for $5. The guy wouldn't even take my money because he saw how much I loved that little guitar and wanted his grandmother's guitar in caring hands.

To those of you who have said that you never look for deals and only purchase well-researched guitars that you already knew you needed at around market value, I just want to say a great big "thank you" from the rest of us!

(Not guitar-related, but my main violin was purchased for $40 at a thrift store. It's a 1928 E.H. Roth and is more violin than I would have had any business buying at the time.)

[The only time I'm at all comfortable haggling is in a pawn shop and that's because I understand the model to be that they benefit most from high turn over. I've offered, and had accepted, what I feel like are stupidly low prices on instruments I purchase for my students who need assistance with an instrument.]
Recording King RD-328
Epiphone 1934 Olympic
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Recording King ROS-11-FE3-TBR
Alvarez AJ-417/12
Silvertone 1958/9 620 Jumbo
Supertone 1941 3/4 Scale (Terz?)
Oscar Schmidt 3/4 Scale
Kepler Biscuit Reso
Old 03-02-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkepler View Post
The only time I'm at all comfortable haggling is in a pawn shop and that's because I understand the model to be that they benefit most from high turn over. I've offered, and had accepted, what I feel like are stupidly low prices on instruments I purchase for my students who need assistance with an instrument.
The last time I bought something in a pawnshop I payed half the asking price.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 03-02-2019, 12:39 PM

There is something intrepid about buying a used item where so many others have already taken a pass. One thinks, “What am I not seeing here?”

With used acoustic guitars, I am now to the point where I’m fairly confident in sizing up the instrument.

But I happily paid top dollar for my Wurlitzer 206A, from a reputable dealer.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
If I had more money I would have more guitars 😏
Not me - however, if I had a lot more living space, that would be a different matter...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-02-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
The last time I bought something in a pawnshop I payed half the asking price.

That's where I usually come in at too. Then again, some things are priced so ridiculously that half price still isn't worth it.

I also agree with the thought that you have to know enough about guitars, repairs, and the pitfalls in order to feel more comfortable.
Recording King RD-328
Epiphone 1934 Olympic
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Recording King ROS-11-FE3-TBR
Alvarez AJ-417/12
Silvertone 1958/9 620 Jumbo
Supertone 1941 3/4 Scale (Terz?)
Oscar Schmidt 3/4 Scale
Kepler Biscuit Reso
Old 03-02-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkepler View Post
That's where I usually come in at too. Then again, some things are priced so ridiculously that half price still isn't worth it.

I also agree with the thought that you have to know enough about guitars, repairs, and the pitfalls in order to feel more comfortable.
I agree with both of your statements. I was fortunate when I bought my HD-28V (it was in excellent condition), but by all rights I should have had it checked out by a luthier. When you see something you really like, it's easy to miss flaws you should have seen.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 03-03-2019, 12:10 AM
In between waves

I love getting a good deal however I love being satisfied with my purchase even more. I have no issue shopping used, as a matter of fact I just purchased a used CEO-7 off this forum last week and couldn't be happier. So I guess what I am saying is new or used I don't care as long as I feel good about the deal.
G&L S-500
Old 03-03-2019, 08:50 AM

Back when GAS first hit me it was all about the deal. These days I can tell you about the ones I let get away for $100 or so that I should have bought, because the deal was more important than the guitar. How foolish!
Regarding the Guild at the yard sale mentioned earlier, I would have paid the seller far more than the $150 - they get more and I get a discount on market value.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion