The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-01-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm1580 View Post
Any thoughts on the Martin Authentic 1931 OM?
That was going to be my suggestion, but it is an 1 3/4" nut, which I prefer, and no electronics. It also has 2 ⅜" spacing at the bridge, ideal for finger style, but if you are primarily using a pick, that may not be of interest. Don't know, I never use a pick.

Interestingly, I upgraded from a Blueridge BR-243A. The Authentic was the only guitar I played that sounded like a significant improvement to me, but that was Koa, and I ordered the OM-18A and waited 6 months for delivery on brand new.

Have since tried, Santa Cruz, Bourgeois, and a number of other custom builders. Some had gorgeous appearance, but I don't think I've found anything that sounded better. Wasn't impressed with Eastman, and hate to say was disappointed with Lariveé. The Somogyi was out of my price range, so I did not play that one, but I did play some well known custom built luthier's guitars.

I all fairness, I wasn't that impressed with the OM-18 A initially either, but over time have grown to appreciate it. Has allowed me to expand my repertoire and become a better player as well. Something of a classic. If you purchase used, you can always get your money back out, because it is a known quantity, but I think you will keep it.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:12 PM

I have just put my Martin OM18 Authentic VTS down after playing it for an hour or so. What a wonderful fingerpicking guitar! If you fingerpick, grab a used one - quite a few end for sale after people play them for a while and then cry “Murder!” about the wonderful large V neck. Anyway, I have had mine since the VTS first came out and now the tone is just delightful, unforgiving maybe, but delightful. I am also a bit surprised how many OM players responded to the thread - I thought everyone except me played dreads!

BluesKing777.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm1580 View Post
Unfortunately, there are no Santa Cruz or Collings dealers anywhere near me. Maybe it's just me and my lack of experience in purchasing guitars but wouldn't it be very poor form to order 2 or 3 guitars for the sake of trying them out and then return two or all?
Not at all. That's why the businesses that have 30 day, or more, evaluation and return policies. It is the preferred way to shop for violins and other high-end instruments - to include guitars.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

You've gotten so many great replies already.

I'll +1 on Wade's advice about the arm rest. It definitely helps with overall volume.

But then hey whoa hey, $4500 is quite a picnic and party.

My $$ would be on an Adirondack/Brazilian or EIR Bourgeois Vintage OM preowned.

My next choice would probably be a signature Martin OM of my preference - a Laurence Juber perhaps.

But lots of great options in that price range for sure. For something completely different, its well worth strumming a Goodall or a Lowden - totally different sound from the Martin but amazing guitars.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 03-01-2019, 08:29 PM

Without getting into specific brands, my biggest recommendation is to buy used. You'll get far more bang out of your buck and depending on what your budget is, you may even be able to nab a boutique build.

I would also say that you don't have to buy a boutique guitar to get an amazing axe. But I would say on average, you're far more likely to get a really nice geetar if you purchase from a small shop as opposed to a factory.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of great deals on the AGF classifieds. If you know what you're looking for, that's an absolute great source. If my stable wasn't complete, I'd be all over a number of the guitars there...

Enjoy the thrill of the hunt! And make sure you post pics once you bag that guitar!
Old 03-01-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithon View Post
+1
Yes, if you can stretch your budget, either Bashkin in the Classifieds will be well worth it. I second everything chippygreen said about Michael's guitars, except I don't hear quite as much bass as he does. But then, my Bashkin is an OM--a different model, though very close, to the GC.
It *may* be that one factor is both my 00 and GC are 12 frets to the body.

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin 0M-MS Swiss Moon/PRW(build thread)
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Carter-Poulsen J-Model German Select Spruce/MacEb
Fender MIJ Strat ('90) and 50s RW Tele ('19)
Martin 00-28c Spruce/BRW('67)
Martin M-36 (R) Sitka/EIR
Michaud O-R Cedar/Koa - New Build
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
K. Yairi RF-120 Spruce/EIR
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Yamaha G-231 Cedar/Hog ('71)
Old 03-01-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post

I have a Bob Thompson OM and a Razo OM. Obviously, the BT OM is more traditional sounding and the Razo is more modern. They're both still versatile for flat picking and fingerstyle with good response and adequate volume.
That Razo is a beauty! I love the clean and modern lines.

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin 0M-MS Swiss Moon/PRW(build thread)
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Carter-Poulsen J-Model German Select Spruce/MacEb
Fender MIJ Strat ('90) and 50s RW Tele ('19)
Martin 00-28c Spruce/BRW('67)
Martin M-36 (R) Sitka/EIR
Michaud O-R Cedar/Koa - New Build
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
K. Yairi RF-120 Spruce/EIR
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Yamaha G-231 Cedar/Hog ('71)
Old 03-01-2019, 10:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

So many great choices in this area, most of which I've never played. I'm pretty traditional, so would probably get a standard Martin OM-28. I realize this is well below your budget.

I've heard nothing but fab things about SC, both the company and the products. Doubt you can go wrong there.

Please let us know, and post pics once she comes in for a landing.

sm
Old 03-01-2019, 10:12 PM

There isn’t a universal ‘best,’ but there is probably a ‘best for you.’ I’m fond of Santa Cruz; they work for me That said, just about every builder of an OM size makes some pretty stellar kit. Like the Pokemon fans say, “Gotta [try] ‘em all!”
Old 03-02-2019, 03:43 AM

You could also consider carbon fiber. My Blackbird Super OM is in the same tonal palate as my OM-21 and OM-28v but with more volume and more sustain. Thanks to it being built of car fender material humidity and the dogs can't hurt it. It's on the stand in the kitchen 24/7 all year so I can grab and play when the mood strikes. The wood guitars don't come out much in the winter anymore.

Blackbird has put the Super OM on hold but their current offerings are sweet and Emerald has a couple of models that might fit your needs. I really want one of Emerald's harp guitars.

Use Super OM's pop up with some regular frequency and there are none of the issues there are with wood buying used. At this point they have depreciated so you could buy, try, and flip without taking a hit. I use the Retro MLJ13's on the Blackbird. Sounds like angels. I play with a pick and it holds up to whatever I can throw at it and begs for more. The Super OM is louder than most dreads.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:49 AM

One more suggestion. If you are going to stick with wood give the Santa Cruz H13 a look. That 00 body with dread depth is a magic combination. Nothing else sounds like it or sits as comfortable in the lap. I have a lower end 13 fret 00 deep body like it and it's one of my favorite sounding and playing guitars. Deep resonance with a fast attack and super comfortable to sit and play for hours. Even capo'd on the 4th fret I have no problem getting the octave at 16 with the 13 frets to the body. Entire board is usable on the three high strings.

I played a used H13 once. It still haunts me.

Last edited by Wuchak; 03-02-2019 at 03:55 AM.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenpalms View Post
IMHO pound for pound Bourgeois makes as good a OM as any I’ve ever played or owned....miss my old Bourgeois OMC all the time! Not the loudest, but good bottom end with the sweetest most musical tone out there. I’m sure lots of other opinions out there too!

I 100% Agee
Martin Jeff Daniels custom OM #33
Martin Eric Clapton Custom Signature
Martin CEO-7
Martin 0-18
Guild F65ce
Waterloo WL12 MH
Fender Stratocaster 1980 (American

My biggest fear is when i die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost
Old 03-02-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippygreen View Post
That Razo is a beauty! I love the clean and modern lines.
Thanks! It's a fun one to play. I currently have it strung with custom Curt Mangan strings and dedicated to DADGAD tuning.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:37 AM

Default Merrill cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post
Can a new or used Merrill OM-18 be had for the OP's budget of $4500?

I'd second the idea of a Martin OM-28 Authentic, or even a Sinker 0000. Mine has a fair amount of bass and plays easily.
I paid $4200 for mine 6 mos ago from Lowe Vintage
Old 03-02-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Not at all. That's why the businesses that have 30 day, or more, evaluation and return policies. It is the preferred way to shop for violins and other high-end instruments - to include guitars.
I agree that this could be a solid approach, but paying shipping both ways for theee guitars would be about the cost of a plane ticket for a day to somewhere (say Nashville) where you could have a whirlwind tour trying a lot more than theee instruments, including some older ones and broader selections of used inventory. I’d rather spend that money on a great experience than fedex, but that’s me.

So, you’ve received a lot of good suggestions. And it’s super subjective - these are all just peoples’ opinions, mine included.

I’ve owned one and played several more Bashkins - and agree that both the man and his instruments are great. That one on the forum right now seems a very cost effective entry point if you’re going for that kind of sound. (And “how you intend to use it” is more important than a target tone - the question is really: what guitar will allow you to coax your desired tone?)

So, to expose my biases, right now, for OMs, I have a 1933 OM-18, a 1941 OOO-18, a Borges OM-28 (Adirondack/Madagascar), a Collings OM-1A JL, and two Wilborn Ellie Belles (Sitka/mahogany and cedar/cocobolo).

So, I lean vintage in tone (Wilborns excepted, although his voice is less fingerstyle focused than many of the handbuilt guys - he’s a great player, plays with a pick (as do I), and his work for me. Before his recent price increase, he would have been a perfect choice for this price ceiling.).

Some have suggested the SGGC OM PW. I’ve played many and think they’re pretty good. They have been aggressive with their price increases, but you can often find them used for $2,500. For that, I think they’re a good value, but you might reasonably conclude that it’s not that much different or better than your OM-21 (a shining star in Martin’s standard lineup!).

Bourgeois has always enticed me, but I have yet to play one (and I’ve played a lot) that left me thinking - I need to own this. So, I put them in the category of “I must be missing something” because a lot of people whose opinions I respect love them, but I don’t get it. Still, I’d fully suggest trying one out (as I will continue to do).

So, I’m admittedly a Collings fan boy. I own a lot of them and I love them, including the precise and unforgiving tone. I’m a better player as a result of playing guitars that highlight my mistakes. That said, I have caught and released two Collings OMs over the years without regret. That sonic signature that characterized Collings, to me, accentuated the worst of the OM and the Collings sound. What makes their dreadnoughts and many other models so intoxicating is what made their OMs sound shrill and thin.

But then Jim Baggett and Julian Lage started chatting with Bill and those conversations led to the development of the Traditional line with some different appointments, construction techniques, voicing targets, and gloriously sexy handmade cases.

I still really like the original Collings sound on just about everything but the OMs, but the Traditional tone is a great twist on that theme. It’s warmer, a little darker, a little bassist, in short, it sounds a bit more vintage. Still, super articulate and clear, but it’s a nice twist.

Well, Julian wanted to take this even farther and the result is the OM-1A JL. I just got mine a week ago and I’m obsessed. It’s the best Collings OM that I have ever played. It captures the warmth of my old Martins and the depth that comes from aging, but it’s still really articulate and plays like a Collings (read: perfectly). Honeymoon period for sure, but I’ve been getting lost in this one.

So, yet another “buy what I like” suggestion, but you’ve got rosewood covered, and I’d at least consider mahogany. It’s not bassier per se, but there is a warmth to mahogany guitars that’s not there in the rosewood ones. Ears are different and tone is notoriously tough to describe, but if you haven’t spent some time with mahogany, I’d give it a listen - you may find that you like having chocolate and vanilla rather than French vanilla and Madagascar vanilla.

The OM-1A JL is out of your price range new, but you should be able to find a used example at or near that point. If you get the chance to play one, I’d highly recommend it - very special stuff!

Otherwise, others have suggested the Authentic or golden era OM-18s and OOO-18s, many of which would come in way south of the target. There are some good examples there of what I think would be a complementary and enjoyable flavor.

Good luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion