The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-28-2019, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

I am very happy with my regular old Martin OM-28 2018. Beautiful, easy to play, and sounds fantastic. I can't image better.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:09 PM

I like the Eastman in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwSRVRB0bd4

No idea what the model is though.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:11 PM

I recently played a Martin OM-28, the standard series one. It has more bass than my OM-21, but it seemed to be lacking a little of the high sparkle that my -21 has.... I guess there’s always a trade-off somewhere. I am comparing a new guitar to a 12 year old, well love guitar of course.

These new re-imagined Martins seem to be bassier than their predecessors, I’ve also played the 000 and 00-28’s, both had surprising amounts of bass for their size. Not a bad thing, just different.
Makes it easier for me to justify another 000-28....

Cheers, Scott.

Last edited by ScottDownSouth; 02-28-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm1580 View Post
Any thoughts on the Martin Authentic 1931 OM?
I had a Martin OMJM that I loved but couldn't get used to the skinny neck. Looking to replace it, I played a Santa Cruz OM that was disappointing and I own and love a couple SC guitars. At the next dealer I played an Authentic and was blown away. It made that OMJM sound like a toy.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 03-01-2019, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

Well my vote goes to Bourgeois. I own or have owned OMs made by most of the ones recommended in this thread and they are all excellent. However, my Bourgeois Signature OM is the best OM I’ve played and I think it delivers the warm, rich sound with a deep lower end you seem to be looking for. All Bourgeois OMs are not equal. I think they are all consistently very good, but some are stellar. They are a pretty safe bet to buy long distance, but listen carefully to clips if you can’t play one first.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:07 AM

Default Merrill

I have 3 Martin OMs - all great. But they pale in comparison with my Merrill OM-18. It is The richest best sounding guitar I’ve ever played to date. Incredible bass, sparkling trebles, clear as a bell, growl when I want it, sweetness - it has it all. I know these are hard to track down but they can be had online here and there. Mine is light as a feather.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt
Old 03-01-2019, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

There are so many great options and every one will have an opinion based on personal experience, as do I (see below). But finding a good and well stocked shop in which will allow you to sample some amazing guitars can go a long way to helping narrow down the choices that are best for you.

If you can give us a general idea of were in Florida you are then perhaps some folks can make suggestions about which stores to check out.

My suggestion is a Furch vintage 3 OM. It will bring you in under budget and give you a guitar that rivals guitars costing twice as much.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 03-01-2019, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

So many great options, will start looking for audition opportunities. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OjaiAndrew View Post
I have 3 Martin OMs - all great. But they pale in comparison with my Merrill OM-18. It is The richest best sounding guitar I’ve ever played to date. Incredible bass, sparkling trebles, clear as a bell, growl when I want it, sweetness - it has it all. I know these are hard to track down but they can be had online here and there. Mine is light as a feather.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt
Can a new or used Merrill OM-18 be had for the OP's budget of $4500?

I'd second the idea of a Martin OM-28 Authentic, or even a Sinker 0000. Mine has a fair amount of bass and plays easily.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 03-01-2019, 08:14 AM

When I was on the hunt for an OM I A/B'd Santa Cruz, Martin, Collings, and Bourgeois all at the same time.

Bourgeois OMS 12 fret slothead trounced the others in all areas. They are very special guitars.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:46 AM

Default Thoughts on OMs

Greetings, I have a Bourgeois VJOM from 2005. All the OM good stuff with a bit more of everything. These are adi over EIR. The Huss and Dalton standard EIR OM is a sleeper here, too. A bit crisper than the VJOM but it was newer. These are around at great prices if you're patient.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
There are so many great options and every one will have an opinion based on personal experience, as do I (see below). But finding a good and well stocked shop in which will allow you to sample some amazing guitars can go a long way to helping narrow down the choices that are best for you.

If you can give us a general idea of were in Florida you are then perhaps some folks can make suggestions about which stores to check out.

My suggestion is a Furch vintage 3 OM. It will bring you in under budget and give you a guitar that rivals guitars costing twice as much.
I am SW Florida (Marco Island area). I m heading to the Tampa area this weekend, but it looks like my best options will be on the east coast.

There is a Santa Cruz, Bourgeois, etc dealer in Sarasota, but he is an exclusive left hand guitar dealer, nice guy but I think I better stick with a right hander!
Old 03-01-2019, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

That's easy, it's my Martin cs OM-18. I got it used, 5 years old last year;

It's like nothing I've ever heard and two friends of mine who play a d-18 and a d-28 respectively were blown away by it.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippygreen View Post
at your price point I think it would make sense for you to give the Bashkin on the AGF Classifieds a close look.
+1
Yes, if you can stretch your budget, either Bashkin in the Classifieds will be well worth it. I second everything chippygreen said about Michael's guitars, except I don't hear quite as much bass as he does. But then, my Bashkin is an OM--a different model, though very close, to the GC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
You might want to consider a 12 fret 000 to compliment your OM21. Your budget puts you well in the range of mint used Collings, SCGC, H&D and some of the best Taylor and Martin have to offer. I would also take a look at the Taylor GC models in their 500, 600, 700, and 800 series.
+2
The warmth and presence of a 12-fret build is something special. If you haven't considered this, it behooves you to.

Finally, since you like the Martin sound, I'd consider M. J. Franks. I have two of his guitars (a 00-12 and 0000-D). He's within your price range. Mike is meticulous in his wood selection, his build quality is excellent, and his instruments sound stellar. It looks like there's an OM on Reverb right now so that might be worth pursing.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm1580 View Post
Any thoughts on the Martin Authentic 1931 OM?
SJM FWIW, I have an OM-18 Authentic, not 1931 but the 1933 model. It is head and shoulders better to my ears than any guitar I have ever played. Period. Others will hear things differently than me, but for me the Authentic OM's coming out of the Marin factory are just the best that money can buy. I buy and sell on occasion, but when I sell that one you all will know that I've gone completely "outside my mind".
2015 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Studio
2014 Voyage-Air
2018 Fender Players Series Stratocaster
1981 Fender Statocaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion