The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-26-2019, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedzep View Post
No, but much of what was made here has been farmed out to poorer quality cheaper manufacturers, so it's refreshing to find a tiny piece of the hometown pie still thriving. I don't know why you would infer I was thinking any more of it than that.

Brits make guitars?
Bown
Sobell
Brook
Fylde
Lucas
Taran
Eggle
Atkin
Benjamin
Moon
Sands
Turnstone

And a lot more.....

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 02-26-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89bruin View Post
I’m just exploring alternatives to my standard string choice and was curious about who manufactured in the US after learning Martin makes their strings in Mexico.
Has your impression of Martin strings changed upon learning this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattste View Post
Many years ago Gibson was making its own strings at a factory in Elgin, IN.
Did they make watches, too.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Has your impression of Martin strings changed upon learning this?
They sound the same as before ... just interested in trying something different although there is some irony in the company calling itself “America’s Guitar” manufacturing in Mexico.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
They sound the same as before ... just interested in trying something different although there is some irony in the company calling itself “America’s Guitar” manufacturing in Mexico.
I like Martin's strings. That said, it is irritating to me that Martin makes their strings in Mexico but charges a made in USA price.
If D'addario, GHS, DR, Ernie Ball and many others can make their strings in the USA and remain profitable with them, then Martin can too.

If American companies continue to move jobs away from the USA and are unwilling to provide decent compensation to US employees, how do they expect to continue to sell their products to those same employees and others in the same situation?

American companies have long been thought to be short-sighted, only concerned with short term gain. This kind of thing proves that.

I have moved my primary string choice to GHS. Still made in Michigan.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:23 AM

Default USA Made Strings

Quote:

Mexico is tucked between North and South Americas, otherwise known as Middle America. I have a MIM Martin and find it one of the best guitars I've ever owned. I personally thank Martin for keeping costs down on what I think are some of the best strings on the market.

Last edited by steelvibe; 02-27-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:46 AM

No one makes guitar strings in Australia.
We use fishing line and fencing wire.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-27-2019, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
No one makes guitar strings in Australia.
We use fishing line and fencing wire.
Ahhh... The good old days!
Old 02-27-2019, 05:50 AM

What Paddy says makes sense to me but I buy strings made in England because no one in the US makes the kind I need, not just like. If I could play the strings I like it would be Daddario.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Mexico is tucked between North and South Americas, otherwise known as Middle America. I have a MIM Martin and find it one of the best guitars I've ever owned. I personally thank Martin for keeping costs down on what I think are some of the best strings on the market.
Actually, Mexico is part of North America.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico

Navojoa, where Martin is based in Mexico, is closer to cities like Tucson, Phoenix, and El Paso than it is to Mexico City, Monterrey, or Guadalajara.

Like you, I’m glad Martin makes their products accessible to a wide range of people. I own a Mexican-made Fender, my daughter has a Mexican-made Taylor, and I’ve thought of getting a D Jr — made in Mexico — for my wife to learn on someday. Or for me to take to/from work or something.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
Actually, Mexico is part of North America.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico

Navojoa, where Martin is based in Mexico, is closer to cities like Tucson, Phoenix, and El Paso than it is to Mexico City, Monterrey, or Guadalajara.

Like you, I’m glad Martin makes their products accessible to a wide range of people. I own a Mexican-made Fender, my daughter has a Mexican-made Taylor, and I’ve thought of getting a D Jr — made in Mexico — for my wife to learn on someday. Or for me to take to/from work or something.
Don’t get me wrong: I’m not against a global economy or production efficiencies. I just find a bit of irony in “patriotic” advertising when coupled with foreign production. And I don’t think the point of Martin’s advertising is that both Mexico and the US are part of the Americas. Case in point:

46B20E86-F0FB-4B23-B318-86BF59BF26C8.jpeg
Old 02-27-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Don’t get me wrong: I’m not against a global economy or production efficiencies. I just find a bit of irony in “patriotic” advertising when coupled with foreign production. And I don’t think the point of Martin’s advertising is that both Mexico and the US are part of the Americas. Case in point:

Attachment 19543
We’re coming up on two centuries since Martin started making guitars in the USA. The company is still based in the USA and still owned by the same family. They still make all their most iconic instruments in the USA. The lion’s share of their employees, owners, and would-be owners reside in the USA. They are considered by most players and historians to be the original and quintessential American guitar.

I don’t see any irony in them continuing to own and celebrate that from a heritage and messaging standpoint.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion