The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2019, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
It's Northern Ireland (part of Great Britain Great Britain), so average wages are similar to those on the British mainland. In the 'Guitar' announcement it mentioned solid tops, but nothing about back and side woods. I suspect laminates will be the order of the day. If that's the case they will have plenty of competition from the likes of Yamaha and Alvarez. I do hope they don't opt for the dreadful open pore 'finish' I see on things like the affordable Eastman offerings. If they do the typical Lowden satin, I might be tempted to take a look.
I don't know about anyone else, but 'Sheeran by Lowden' smacks of 'Epiphone by Gibson', or 'Squier by Fender', and cheapens the things. Why not just make an inexpensive Lowden and call it that?
In the fine print it says the bodies are 5 piece which I assume meanes 5 laminated sheets.

The finish is barely there so let’s assume no filler and satin.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
https://guitar.com/news/gear-news/ed...t1ylmrU8zFs6h4

600 quid is like $750 USD. That is tremendous. Will be fun to see if they’re decent quality and all the actual fine details on the specs.
I think that's quite expensive for a part laminate guitar; and remember that's only a rumoured price. If it turns out cheaper it'll start getting competitive, but I can still buy an all solid, gloss finished and slightly blinged (abalone rosette), guitar for that sort of money. Alvarez Masterworks come to mind.

Quote:
I don't know about anyone else, but 'Sheeran by Lowden' smacks of 'Epiphone by Gibson', or 'Squier by Fender', and psychologically cheapens the things. Why not just make an inexpensive Lowden and call it that, like the Gibson Les Paul model?
Two reasons likely...

1: Ed has a fair bit of money in on the project

2. Ed is really the only pop music superstar guitar singer-songwriter at the moment. The kids today all regard John Mayer as an old man...their parents music...so Ed is the only real flag bearer of the once proud tradition of the superstar guitar gunslinger singer.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher

Quote:
It's Northern Ireland (part of Great Britain Great Britain), so average wages are similar to those on the British mainland.
UK not Great Britain, but your point remains valid.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Can't wait to hear one. I'd jump all over an S01 (cedar/walnut) and slap a K&K in it if the sound is decent.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SausagesBeGone View Post
UK not Great Britain, but your point remains valid.
Ok, 'The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland' (official title) I look forward to hearing them demonstrated.

Last edited by AndrewG; 01-24-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

I find this to be truly exciting (and surprising) news. I did not see this coming but it makes sense I think.

I'm not a big fan of the little martins - they just seemed too "toyish" to me.

I also happen to really love Lowden guitars.

It sounds like these will definitely be a solid top, laminated body entry range offering. It looks to me like these will compete, pricewise, with the Taylor 100 and 200 and with Msrtin's X series. Sort of their entry level offering.

Ihaven't seen one yet but, on paper anyway, Iwould much rather have a n entry level Lowden S than the other options for a similar price.

I am definitely interested in these and hope they are in stores somewhere to be tried out

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-24-2019, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

I think this is a brilliant move and partnership for both Sheeran and Lowden. Sheeran’s WW name recognition with Lowden’s premier guitar building reputation. If these sound and play well, and the manufacturing quality is consistently high they will have a real winner. This is definitely the right nitche for this day and age. If it succeeds there is plenty of opportunity to expand the line.
Guilds: 69 F312 Braz, 89 Nightbird II, 91 Nightbird CU, 94 GV70, 96 A50 flattop, 06 CO1 Cedar, 11 F30CE, 13 CS F30R Reno Star, 14 GSR F30CE Coco, Orpheum OM RW, Orpheum SS Hog. SOLD: Guilds: 78 F40,79 F112,’87 GF60R,94 DV72,07 CS F47 Braz,11 DD6MCE,12 F30,12 F30R,18 F2512. Other: 70 Epi 5102,74 Ibanez LesPaul,90 Gibson ES347,15 Alvarez MFA70,15 Martin OM28VTS,15 Epi ES339Pro,16 Alvarez AF60
Old 01-24-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMikey View Post
I think this is a brilliant move and partnership for both Sheeran and Lowden. Sheeran’s WW name recognition with Lowden’s premier guitar building reputation. If these sound and play well, and the manufacturing quality is consistently high they will have a real winner. This is definitely the right nitche for this day and age. If it succeeds there is plenty of opportunity to expand the line.
I think you’re expecting a lot for £600. You, as I did, automatically thought of Lowden and their quality. As was pointed out earlier Lowden are keeping a low profile on this - it’s definitely marketed as a Sheeran.

For £600 I’d personally rather buy something tried and tested - Seagull, Yamaha for example.

The “kids” will love it though.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
As was pointed out earlier Lowden are keeping a low profile on this - it’s definitely marketed as a Sheeran.
Up to a point but George Lowden appears all over the home page of the new Sheeran By Lowden website and the Lowden brand is mentioned countless times.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:12 AM

Hey, just be happy that at least one (and maybe only one, jeez) of today's biggest pop stars is actually...playing the guitar. And now, promoting it.

I think they look great, but their success will depend on getting these a wide distribution into places where the target audience will find them...Guitar Center.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-24-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Not sure about this. Waterloo are still pretty expensive but a £600 Lowden is a bit like Porsche offering a new model for £5000 - it must dilute the “quality” perception somewhat?
I absolutely agree with this comment. Bad business move I think.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:28 AM

I have to admit that I am not familiar with Sheeran, and the few times I have seen him on TV I didn't care for the songs. With the tiny guitars he is using there is 100% dependence on electronics and amplification to generate any half-decent sound, so the use of laminates or alternative materials is appropriate. I find that these models look much nicer than his gaudy Martin signature models, but am surprised that not all have the LR Baggs Element VTC, and that the electronics side is not more emphasized in the ad.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:50 AM

5 piece means glued side by side not laminated usually unless they are spinning th fact that they are laminated. They say almost not there finish is ok for walnut or spruce. The thing that concerns me is the bracing pattern is not Lowdens usual I dont think.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Default wow...

They are gonna sell a bunch of these. I play in a cover band and we do some of Ed's songs....would love to have one...love the size of them. And at that price..wow!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion