The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-14-2018, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

If you can only have one, get the one for the job at hand.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:14 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I don't totally agree with you on that.
I have used every one of my guitars amplified in a performance scenario and with certain pickups, especially really good ones,there is a noticeable difference in the voicing of each regardless of EQ. As an example, my Pono sounds nothing like my D18 through a board and powered speakers no matter how it's EQ'd.
I'm not suggesting that all amplified acoustics sound the same. I'm suggesting that the wood used -- especially on the back and sides -- is minimally responsible for the differences.

Last edited by Guest 728; 03-14-2018 at 11:29 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-14-2018, 04:39 PM

I think almost everyone starts out not knowing what guitar is right for them, which is why they try as many as possible before deciding on a purchase.

Many people who think they know what their right guitar is often devellop doubts wether there isn't yet another guitar which may be more right for them, so they play as many as they can before making a purchase.

Then there are people who're always in doubt about the right guitar, the one's who aren''t really limited by their physique and can handle anything the world throws at them, call them the guitar player archetype. He just keeps purchasing because there's such an enormous choice and he has to try em all because he will never know wether another one is more right or not or if there's actaully such a thing as the right guitar for him at all. He's probably satisfied with each purchase for app. a year and then feels it's time to move on. Anyone recognises him/herself in this?

Ludwig
Old 03-14-2018, 04:54 PM

Just a quick note: I picked up a D2HA this year because it is a great singers' guitar: both amplified and acoustic. Just don't understand the comment that it is necessarily too loud. I suppose that depends on how you're playing it while you're singing. Got it in December and it's been a terrific companion. It certainly can be a loud guitar, but that's when you want it to be, when you really get after it. I'm not backing off with it like I do when playing a CJ35--or even, at times, an OM1A.

As your inclination seems to tell you, the D2HA is a sensational guitar.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

I've only owned Collings OM's and an SJ. All were great guitars but I'm a dread guy at heart. I'd love to try the Collings 12 and 14 fret dreads!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-24-2019, 10:28 PM

The right guitar for any job is the one you have in your hands when playing. There is no wood combination, or body size, that is the "right" guitar for P&W or any other style of play. Every professional musician knows that any quality (and sometimes not so quality) guitar will work for any application.

If Maple was "the right" guitar for performance with other instruments everyone would play Maple. They don't. Not even close. Get your Collings and rock it to the rafters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Cruncher View Post
I am trying to figure out what price I should ask for. They asked me how much I wanted to pay and I didn't have a clue. Somebody PM me!
I can't help there. I've never had anyone ask me what I wanted to pay. If asked, my answer would be the least I have to pay.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:29 AM

I would eventually get both, but I would start with the one that filled my ensemble needs.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 03-25-2019, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

As Mr. Natural says use the right tool for the job. It only makes sense. If you are wanting to enjoy playing a guitar then get that tool. If you are in a situation demanding different qualities then get that tool.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-25-2019, 09:02 AM
Guest 728

Let’s hope that the OP has resolved this by now. It’s been a year.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion