The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2019, 11:40 PM

What you describe with your OM-28 I pretty much have with my OM-21. I would like an OM-28 one day, I’ve played some really nice ones in shops, but I kinda feel like I’m cheating on my OM-21. I’ve had it nearly 10 years and it’s like an old friend. I’m also worried that I’d like the -28 more and not be so fond of the -21.
Weird eh?

They’re a great guitar. Congratulations.

Cheers, Scott.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:58 PM

I think the OM-21 can be a close comparison to the 28, but reading online I often get the sense the latter is often under appreciated, and that it has more complexity and bloom than the average 21. My 21 is a lean machine, perhaps more spare in harmonics, but I’m glad it’s that way.

Glad you love your 28!
Old 03-25-2019, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh1967 View Post
I know you asked Brendan, but I will add, too. Hope that is okay?

I think a lot depends on your attack, how you play, and what is pleasing tonally to your ear.

Generalities and therefore, not always true:

Sitka VTS - Warm, broken in tone, very responsive to a light touch, yet offering decent headroom. VTS treatment, can have a drier tone than a an un-baked top. From what I have heard, will not change much over time.

Adi w/ Adi Bracing - Lots of headroom, so can drive it hard. Depending on the specific build, can take a little more effort to coax tone from it with a lighter tough. Has more of an "immediate" sound than Sitka. Takes longer to break in, but 10 year old Adi can be rather intoxicating.

This might help...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmCkIEXTR-Y
Of course I welcome and value your input. Thanks for the video, I hadn’t seen that one and Ive watched a lot! Both those guitars sound great to me. When I re-entered the guitar buying market 18 months ago, I had the good fortune to spend some time with a very knowledgeable salesman/Martin collector who gave me this advice about buying Martins: “Always buy custom shop with forward-shifted, scalloped bracing and you will always get a good guitar.” My first two purchases have been faithful to this formula and Ive gotten two wonderful guitars. Now here I am considering violating this successful advice with the purchase of a production guitar (albeit with GE bracing). The upgrade package and the sound of the MD is nearly irresistible to me. I’m just not completely sold on that neck yet. It is soooo shallow up by the nut then wider past the 12th. Maybe a finger pickers delight but I’m a pick always guy. Oh well, nothing will happen until the 000 comes in. Then I have a “battle of the bands” demo day to look forward to decide which goes home with me: OM-28MD or 000-28MD or custom 000-28 Adi. What fun!

Last edited by IndyHD28; 03-25-2019 at 01:56 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:16 AM

I have my OM-28 around for a couple of weeks now.
And I‘m enyoing it the more I play it. Being a J-45 lover I admire this full and rich rosewood OM more and more.

What strings do you prefer on your OM-28?
Happy with D‘Addario EJ16 and John Pearse PB for now.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'67 View Post
I have my OM-28 around for a couple of weeks now.
And I‘m enyoing it the more I play it. Being a J-45 lover I admire this full and rich rosewood OM more and more.

What strings do you prefer on your OM-28?
Happy with D‘Addario EJ16 and John Pearse PB for now.

Beautiful OM-28 - Congrats! I also happen to really like the J-45.

Strings...it is one of the things I love about the OM-28 - I have not put a set on that I don’t like. So far, I have had D’Addario PB’s, Pearse PB’s, Elixir PB’s, Elixir 80/20s, Martin Flex Cores, and Martin Authentic PB’s.

Next to try are Pears 80/20s and Santa Cruz Low Tension. In fact the video I posted above has Santa Cruz strings on it, and you might see if it sounds appealing to you.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:02 AM

Does anyone know which Martin sells more of, the OM-28 or 000-28?

Also, if anyone is interested, there are some great comparison videos especially from Alamo and Martin’s best employee guitarist, Corey Congilio.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
Does anyone know which Martin sells more of, the OM-28 or 000-28?

Also, if anyone is interested, there are some great comparison videos especially from Alamo and Martin’s best employee guitarist, Corey Congilio.
That's right, I did tons of research between the two, watched every video possible and called Martin several times just to nail it down. I was set to purchase the 000, then on the Martin website one day, I saw an OM-28, I said to myself "what's that?", didn't even know it existed. The OM just had a couple differences that were partial to me.

Nice guitar Pete, you and I know exactly how it plays and sounds!
Old 03-25-2019, 06:59 AM

I personally prefer the 000-28 to the OM. I simply prefer shorter scale guitars. I like the sound and the slinkiness, and I swear they just feel better in my hand.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

A while back I made the rounds, playing about 3 dozen Martins, 00s up to Ds. Top 2 finishers were the OMJM and OM28 VTS. Two great guitars!

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 03-25-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I personally prefer the 000-28 to the OM. I simply prefer shorter scale guitars. I like the sound and the slinkiness, and I swear they just feel better in my hand.
That’s what I’m thinking going in but I will be able to play them head-to-head so I will go with what I like best at the moment. Also, I don’t need the greater projection etc of the long scale because I have dreads for that. I think the difference maker with MDs will be the neck.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
A while back I made the rounds, playing about 3 dozen Martins, 00s up to Ds. Top 2 finishers were the OMJM and OM28 VTS. Two great guitars!
The MD picks up where the OM28VTS stopped ++.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Red face

Just an update on the OM-28MD. Martin's website says they are 2 1/4" spacing at the bridge, & I was getting my hopes up for buying one. Then I saw all of the online Martin dealers were advertising them at 2 5/32", like the other MDs. So I emailed Martin to reaffirm, & they are actually 2 5/32" spacing at the bridge, so Martin's website is wrong in that dept. Disappointing for me, anyway.
Steve
Old 03-25-2019, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
Just an update on the OM-28MD. Martin's website says they are 2 1/4" spacing at the bridge, & I was getting my hopes up for buying one. Then I saw all of the online Martin dealers were advertising them at 2 5/32", like the other MDs. So I emailed Martin to reaffirm, & they are actually 2 5/32" spacing at the bridge, so Martin's website is wrong in that dept. Disappointing for me, anyway.
Steve
Yep, string spacing is the same. Allows them to use the wider tapered neck on just the OM-28MD while continuing to use the same bridge pin template.

The website is STILL wrong. Been that way since the MD series was announced.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 03-25-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Steve
Sorry I misled you on that. So much for relying on Martin’s published specs. I am surprised because the fret board is definitely wider at the base than the others. I still think you should play one before writing it off.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Steve
no, i have this guitar, om 28md,and i can assure you that its bridge spacing is 57mm (2-1/4). it's a great guitar, with punchy, dry sound, loud volume, boomy bass. it's an om but it's strong like a dread. i love the neck even if i hoped it was a real low profile; however, for me, it's a very very very soft and slim v shape. neck is wider then om 28 standar, i'm sure, and it's very good for fingerstyle. sometimes i feel this guitar could explode, really, you can strum louder and louder but sound is alway balanced.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion