The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2019, 07:06 PM

Default Silly Sales Hype Aside - Zager Pick Review

If you haven't seen the silly sales hype claiming these are 'America's #1 Rated Guitar Pick' here it is.

So are they really any good?
I bought some to try out.
I'm pretty much a dedicated Jim Dunlop .60mm nylon pick user.
Here's how the Zager pick looks next to my Jim Dunlop .60 picks (normal and 50th anniversary gold edition) and a Wedgie .60mm nylon pick.

So how thick is it?
I used my Vernier calipers to measure them against a Jim Dunlop .60mm and a black 'Strings and Beyond' T (thin) pick I had lying around. I measured the tips then carefully slid out the pick. Here's the results.

So the Zager is surprisingly close to the Jim Dunlop .60mm nylon but made from a stiffer material.

Feels a little large to me and I'm not use to a pick with 3 strike/contact points - but it's not unpleasant to use and the holes that fit on some tuners posts like Grover Rotomatics is not entirely without some merit.

It's quite a good pick, certainly nice to have one as an alternative every now and again - I just wish they wouldn't use that silly hard sell sales pitch.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-24-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I just wish they wouldn't use that silly hard sell sales pitch.
This is the main complaint about Zager. His marketing has probably lost him far more sales than it has gained. Hilariously, Zager deletes all negative comments about his products from any forum or media he can control. His facebook page is actually funny to read. He leaves in the wacko responses to criticism, but takes out the actual post. Kinda easy to see the not-so-wizard behind the curtain.

I'd say he produces a useful product, but if I did he'd somehow quote it on media, so I won't.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
This is the main complaint about Zager. His marketing has probably lost him far more sales than it has gained. Hilariously, Zager deletes all negative comments about his products from any forum or media he can control. His facebook page is actually funny to read. He leaves in the wacko responses to criticism, but takes out the actual post. Kinda easy to see the not-so-wizard behind the curtain.

I'd say he produces a useful product, but if I did he'd somehow quote it on media, so I won't.
Lot's of weird stuff.
I looked at the guitars he had listed on his site not long ago and a lot of them were described as;

'99% flawless. Used in the studio by Denny for one hour. Otherwise brand new guitar!'

and, 'Beautiful new guitar played in the studio by Denny on weekend. Plays and sounds 100%.'

Huh?
The last released recording by Zager & Evans was 48 years ago in 1971!

Just say it's a factory 2nd and be done with it!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
Old 03-24-2019, 09:03 PM

I looked at these a couple of months ago. My first thought was similar to the OP's about the marketing hype. My next was most people have a drill.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:28 AM

The "clips onto any guitar" feature is pretty cool. In fact it looks like a pick I might like. I'd like to try one, but I have a real problem buying anything from someone whose advertising is so blatantly misleading.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:11 AM

Thanks Bruce. How do they flex? They look pretty stiff.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:03 PM

I've been testing a Zager pick (courtesy of BruceBubs) and find it unusual which I think is due to the holes. What the holes do is make the tip more flexible, hence the tip gets deflected off the strings more easily- but at the expense of a delayed release of the strings. It is a bright sounding pick which might make it an excellent strummer on some darker sounding instruments. But I know I wouldn't use it as an all-round pick.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 03-25-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormin1155 View Post
The "clips onto any guitar" feature is pretty cool. In fact it looks like a pick I might like. I'd like to try one, but I have a real problem buying anything from someone whose advertising is so blatantly misleading.
Meh, to "clip to any guitar" I use this for my picks - any and all - which, coincidentally will also work on any guitar:

https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Pick-H...dp/B06XFFMDKK/
Old 03-25-2019, 01:28 PM

The "clips onto any guitar" stuff is very prominently featured in the ad. So, has anybody checked out that aspect? Questions would include:
  1. Does the pick stay there when you put the guitar down, or does it fall off easily?
  2. If it's pretty firmly in place once you clip it on, is it a pain to unclip?
  3. The picture shows it overhanging the tuner button. If you leave one in place while you're playing, and you need to adjust the tuning on that string, does the pick get in the way?
Old 03-25-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Thanks Bruce. How do they flex? They look pretty stiff.
They are stiffer than the Jim Dunlops I normally use but those holes make it more flexible.

I tried fitting it to a Grover tuning post and it's a tight fit getting it on, decided leaving it off was easier.

In case anyone is wondering ... they cost US$19.00 for a 5 pack which included postage to Australia, which is not unreasonable.(By comparison, I ordered 4 sets of strings last week and postage was US$12.23)

1972 - Takamine D-70
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61

Last edited by Brucebubs; 03-25-2019 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:59 PM

Im surprised that it doesnt have a chain threw one of the holes
and they make a claim that its the worlds number one necklace !
Old 03-25-2019, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Lot's of weird stuff.
I looked at the guitars he had listed on his site not long ago and a lot of them were described as;

'99% flawless. Used in the studio by Denny for one hour. Otherwise brand new guitar!'

and, 'Beautiful new guitar played in the studio by Denny on weekend. Plays and sounds 100%.'

Huh?
The last released recording by Zager & Evans was 48 years ago in 1971!

Just say it's a factory 2nd and be done with it!
Has anyone here ever played one of his guitars? They sound pretty decent from YouTube videos but we all know that can be pretty deceiving.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
Has anyone here ever played one of his guitars? They sound pretty decent from YouTube videos but we all know that can be pretty deceiving.
CAVEAT EMPTOR
Old 03-26-2019, 01:49 AM

From a design point of view those holes are terrible. Very likely to see quick breakage if strummed hard.. Just saying
Hofner Club 50 (currently for sale)
Jose Rodriguez estudente classical

Formerly owned:
K. Yairi NY0021
Guild D25-NT
Epiphone PR5E
Heritage H-127
Godin SG Summit
Ibanez TTR30 Talman Nylon
Epiphone Telecaster copy
Hofner 175 (II)
Eko 'SG' short scale bass
Old 03-26-2019, 03:36 AM

It also fits in any pocket

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion