The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2019, 05:13 PM

Default Anyone own a Modern Deluxe yet?

Dealers are receiving D-28s and OM-28s. Haven’t seen any reports of 000s or D-18s yet. I’ve played the D-28 and will play the OM soon but I’m waiting for the 000 to get a short scale.

Anyway, I’m not worried about the sound of these guitars, I’m worried about the “Vintage Deluxe” neck. My first impression was not positive and I’m used to the modern MLO/PA which I have on both my Martins. So I am particularly interested in feedback from new owners on the neck compared to what you’re used to. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:04 PM

Did you like these guitars tone ?
It seems like things have been done to reduce their weigh (titanium truss-rod, carbon bridge plate...), but I wonder about the changes in tone linked to adirondack top braces, VTS and liquidmetal bridge pins, if they make the tone very different from standard D-28s or OM-28s...
Can't help you with neck's playability : I live in France and I don't expect any Modern Deluxe before 6 months or a year...But I like V necks.
Bernie
Old 02-15-2019, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernieman View Post
...But I like V necks.
Bernie
Don't hold your breath. These are super skinny necks without hardly the slightest V. I'm sure many will like them, but if "chunky" or "v neck" is what you were hoping for, you're going to be disappointed. (I've played 3 of them at the Martin factory.)
Old 02-15-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernieman View Post
Did you like these guitars tone ?
Yes. My initial comment was “this lacks nothing” in the tone department. But, my left hand felt uncomfortable and got tired very quickly. My thought was, this felt like a 2” nut. It seemed an effort to reach around the edge of the fretboard. Now, my playing time has ramped up recently and perhaps my left hand was tired but, this is not the feeling I get from playing my two Martin dreads with the MLO/PA neck. I will demo the OM early next week but I’m actually aiming for the 000 and it’s short scale fretboard.

If for any reason I don’t get the “take me home” vibe, my backup plan involves a nice 00-18 custom.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:37 PM

Watching this thread (and the modern deluxe line) with great interest.

As I'm not really as 'seasoned' as some of you guys- and particularly* with Martins- can someone compare for me how a "regular" Martin MLO/PA (?) feels (or raw dimensions) vs a Gibson J45 or AJ? I haven't played long enough, "seriously" enough, to be *truly* acquainted with what it is my hands prefer. and this comment by Indy got me thinking. I do know that 1.725 is the very smallest I could go as far as nut width, 1.75 preferred, and .. might could go slightly larger but not much. not sure how (if) this translates to actual neck shape and how your fretting hand reacts to it, stamina wise.

Both of my Gibsons have necks that I like and feel very comfortable playing for extended periods. My Taylor 710, ironically (r.i.p.) .. it was probably my favorite neck in terms of feel (my only satin-neck'd guitar), but i specifically remember my hand getting tired much quicker than any of my other 3-4 guitars.

Anyway. thanks for sharing this post.. I haven't given it much thought, but being that i'm interested in these Modern Deluxe models, that's one thing that's got me paying a bit more attention to the fine detail of neck profile.

thanks
Scott
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 02-15-2019, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Scott, the neck on your J-45 Vintage is overall deeper and fuller than the Martin MLO/PA. I love Gibson necks too as they are primarily a medium/fat C with nice rounded shoulders, something most all modern Martin necks lack (except for the Authentics).

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 02-15-2019, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
Don't hold your breath. These are super skinny necks without hardly the slightest V. I'm sure many will like them, but if "chunky" or "v neck" is what you were hoping for, you're going to be disappointed. (I've played 3 of them at the Martin factory.)
Then, I'm out. I was looking forward to trying a D18MD. I heard the neck was based on a 30's OM, so I was expecting more depth than a MLO/PA. Sad.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v32 finish View Post
Watching this thread (and the modern deluxe line) with great interest.

As I'm not really as 'seasoned' as some of you guys- and particularly* with Martins- can someone compare for me how a "regular" Martin MLO/PA (?) feels (or raw dimensions) vs a Gibson J45 or AJ?
Unlike my initial reaction to the “VD” neck (sorry Martin), I have spent considerable time demoing the J45 Studio and did not have the strained feeling I got playing the MD. [Dont know if the Studio has a different neck carve than the Standard or Vintage] The Gibby also intoduced me the wonders of short scale which is why I’m waiting for the 000—the only SS in this initial release of MD models. While I loved the playability of the J45 Studio, the tone of it doesn’t compare with a $3K Martin and I suppose at half that price it shouldn’t be expected to.

One more note on MD necks....be aware that the OM (which is a 000 long scale) has a different taper. It’s a bit wider. I suppose that’s a bone for the finger stylists out there.

Last edited by IndyHD28; 02-16-2019 at 02:25 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
Then, I'm out. I was looking forward to trying a D18MD. I heard the neck was based on a 30's OM, so I was expecting more depth than a MLO/PA. Sad.
You should still TRY one!

Just don’t get your hopes up for a fat neck. A lot of people don’t realize those very early 30s Martin necks aren’t that thick. And, while the MD neck is “based” on an early 30s Martin neck, it’s not an identical copy. In fact, it’s a thinner copy.

So play it, and report back with your impressions. Mine was that the mod v feels enormous by comparison and that these might actually be even thinner than the MLO (just what my hand tells me...didn’t have a way to measure).
Old 02-19-2019, 03:17 PM

Default OM-28MD

I finally got around to playing the OM today and I was very impressed. The tone is unbelievably full—if you are a Martin Tone fan, this guitar will not disappoint you. As my dealer commented, “there’s a lot going on”. You really need to play one of these guitars. Unlike my experience with the D-28MD, I had no issues with this neck. This one is slightly different from the other MDs in that it does not have the “HP taper”. So it’s a bit wider at the heel. But whatever, it played beautifully. Since I am waiting in the 000 to get short scale and more bendable strings up the neck, I was paying particular attention to how this long scale neck performed shredding the neck. I was pleasantly surprised. These strings are very bendable for a long scale guitar. I could easily live with this.

The appearance is a homerun. The VTS Sitka top has a much more pleasing appearance than recent Adi tops from Martin. The Euro Maple binding is class. The golden frets and tuners go with the the overall color scheme of the guitar. So, as long as the neck shape works for you, it is GREEN LIGHT CITY!

For context, my every day guitars are a custom HD28V in Guat, a custom Adi/Sinker D and a K24ce-V. The MD 000 or OM will fit in nicely with this group.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
I finally got around to playing the OM today and I was very impressed. The tone is unbelievably full—if you are a Martin Tone fan, this guitar will not disappoint you. As my dealer commented, “there’s a lot going on”. You really need to play one of these guitars. Unlike my experience with the D-28MD, I had no issues with this neck. This one is slightly different from the other MDs in that it does not have the “HP taper”. So it’s a bit wider at the heel. But whatever, it played beautifully. Since I am waiting in the 000 to get short scale and more bendable strings up the neck, I was paying particular attention to how this long scale neck performed shredding the neck. I was pleasantly surprised. These strings are very bendable for a long scale guitar. I could easily live with this.

The appearance is a homerun. The VTS Sitka top has a much more pleasing appearance than recent Adi tops from Martin. The Euro Maple binding is class. The golden frets and tuners go with the the overall color scheme of the guitar. So, as long as the neck shape works for you, it is GREEN LIGHT CITY!

For context, my every day guitars are a custom HD28V in Guat, a custom Adi/Sinker D and a K24ce-V. The MD 000 or OM will fit in nicely with this group.
Another great example of sometimes you just have to play them to see and hear exactly what each guitar brings to the table. Thanks for posting your experiences with these guitars.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-19-2019, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You should still TRY one!

Just don’t get your hopes up for a fat neck. A lot of people don’t realize those very early 30s Martin necks aren’t that thick. And, while the MD neck is “based” on an early 30s Martin neck, it’s not an identical copy. In fact, it’s a thinner copy.

So play it, and report back with your impressions. Mine was that the mod v feels enormous by comparison and that these might actually be even thinner than the MLO (just what my hand tells me...didn’t have a way to measure).
I’ll definitely give it go when I find one. I sold my 2016 D18 after 6 months of trying to get accustomed to the MLO/PA neck. It was just too low profile for my liking.

Even if the neck may not work for me, I really like where Martin is going with the MD series.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
A lot of people don’t realize those very early 30s Martin necks aren’t that thick.
That's been my experience the times I've been able to play some of those original early 1930's Martins, as well. They can surprise you.

whm
Old 02-20-2019, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Thanks for posting your experiences with these guitars.

Best,
Jayne
Yes, I am fortunate to live in the same town as Reno’s Music, a small independent who is the archetype new age dealer with low overhead, a small showroom and a large internet business with huge inventory of standard and custom Martins. Mark, the owner/manager, likes to build long term relationships. As one of those, I can walk in and demo a dozen Martins if I want to. In preparation for the arrival of the 000-28MD, I’ve been going in once per week to find a favorite Martin I don’t own to compete against the MD. I’ve learned a lot about the Martin line and come to really appreciate the fabled “Martin Tone” which is a real thing and has caused me to let go of my cherished all-Koa K24ce because even though it is more beautiful than any guitar I’ve ever seen, it just doesn’t hold up on Tone to a whole variety of Martins. I know everyone is not in my position but try to find a dealer like this to work with, even if they are a hundred miles away.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:19 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Default Anyone own a Modern Deluxe yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
Yes, I am fortunate to live in the same town as Reno’s Music, a small independent who is the archetype new age dealer with low overhead, a small showroom and a large internet business with huge inventory of standard and custom Martins. Mark, the owner/manager, likes to build long term relationships. As one of those, I can walk in and demo a dozen Martins if I want to. In preparation for the arrival of the 000-28MD, I’ve been going in once per week to find a favorite Martin I don’t own to compete against the MD. I’ve learned a lot about the Martin line and come to really appreciate the fabled “Martin Tone” which is a real thing and has caused me to let go of my cherished all-Koa K24ce because even though it is more beautiful than any guitar I’ve ever seen, it just doesn’t hold up on Tone to a whole variety of Martins. I know everyone is not in my position but try to find a dealer like this to work with, even if they are a hundred miles away.

Dang, I’d love to find a dealer like that two hundred miles away! Living in a relatively rural area I have to travel more than 100 miles just to find a GC with a mediocre acoustic selection. Even then I’d be lucky to find the model I want to try...much less two or three of the same model so I can a/b them.

I’m sure you know you’re one lucky dude.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Last edited by Rev Roy; 02-20-2019 at 09:26 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion