The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-23-2022, 08:08 PM

Default Talk to me about Kopp Guitars

Who here has done a build with Kevin Kopp? How was your experience? What did you build? Do you wish you did anything different? And most importantly, was the guitar at, above or below expiations?

I am very close to putting my deposit down for a build slot, but just want to hear everyone’s opinion who has actually played his instruments or has done a build with him.

I am strongly leaning towards Kopp after weighing the options of doing a Pre War / Santa Cruz build or buy “another” Gibson custom shop. Final contenders are pre war and Kopp with Kopp having a very strong age.

Either doing J45 style, OOO OR…getting creative and doing a slightly smaller j45 style.
Old 08-23-2022, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

My Kopp AJ is a terrific guitar, sounds good, looks good, plays good.
Very well made...

-Mike
Old 08-23-2022, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
My Kopp AJ is a terrific guitar, sounds good, looks good, plays good.
Very well made...

-Mike
Did you work directly with kevin to build what you wanted or buy from dealer?
Old 08-23-2022, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

I could be reading you incorrectly, but it sounds like maybe you should focus a bit more on what exactly you want and then see/choose based who makes that. Kopp specializes in Gibson-style instruments and does not make a 000 (Martin style model) and his J45 inspired K35 is full on dreadnought size.

Pre-War makes more of a Martin-inspired product line with the addition of a full size slope shoulder dreadnought. They have the 000.

There are other builders, too, who make either/both styles of instruments and some who make scaled down dreads. People here would be happy to share experiences/impressions with/of them as well. If you'd be happy with one of the models Kopp builds, great, get on his list, but it would be sad if you did so thinking you could get something that it turns out he does not build.
Old 08-24-2022, 05:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
Did you work directly with kevin to build what you wanted or buy from dealer?
I got it from a dealer... Acoustic Music Works...

-Mike
Old 08-24-2022, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
I got it from a dealer... Acoustic Music Works...

-Mike
Thanks! I’m thinking of working with him directly
Old 08-24-2022, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
I could be reading you incorrectly, but it sounds like maybe you should focus a bit more on what exactly you want and then see/choose based who makes that. Kopp specializes in Gibson-style instruments and does not make a 000 (Martin style model) and his J45 inspired K35 is full on dreadnought size.

Pre-War makes more of a Martin-inspired product line with the addition of a full size slope shoulder dreadnought. They have the 000.

There are other builders, too, who make either/both styles of instruments and some who make scaled down dreads. People here would be happy to share experiences/impressions with/of them as well. If you'd be happy with one of the models Kopp builds, great, get on his list, but it would be sad if you did so thinking you could get something that it turns out he does not build.
I chatted with him. He builds everything not just what’s on his website. I am more leaning towards the 35…but may get creative and go just a tad smaller
Old 08-24-2022, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

I worked with him on a K 35. Great guy, honest. I actually didn't like the neck when I got the instrument and shipped it back to Kevin to have it reworked and the profile changed a little.
Kevin was very responsive and supportive, only seemed to care about making me happy.
Cannot recommend the guy and his guitars more highly.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
I chatted with him. He builds everything not just what’s on his website. I am more leaning towards the 35…but may get creative and go just a tad smaller
Good to know. Thanks for clarifying!
Old 08-24-2022, 11:21 AM

Here's a Kopp. This was tracked live in the guy's backyard. Please note that there's no guitar mic, only a vocal mic. That thing's a monster.

Couch Standards
Old 08-24-2022, 12:36 PM

Thanks all!!
Old 08-24-2022, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

I own 2 Kopps and have one currently being built. Hes been awesome to work with and I’m anticipating a killer 12 fret maple/ torrefied Sitka k 35 in December.
Old 08-25-2022, 05:51 PM

Well I am sending deposit tomorrow - going to build a Kopp with kevin!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop