The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2019, 09:29 AM

Default Capo Recommendations For My Needs

Hi guys,

So, I've tried MANY lately and I just can't seem to find the perfect one for me. I have the Thalia, Planet Waves NS, Glider Capo, Keyser, etc.

What I am looking for is a top notch capo that is easy on/off, and one I can have at the ready sitting on my headstock or over the nut. I play mostly Line 6 Variax's and what I find is that's it's not quick enough for me to change, can't put on headstock, or they are too thick, so when chording I bump up to it, etc.

I really like the PW NS, but one time I was playing and was done with it, I loosened the screw too much and it came off! I do like the slim profile and they way it works because I can put it over the nut. I can't put it on headstock though if I wanted. It's not fast enough on/off.

What I am looking for is something similar that's faster on/off, not difficult to squeeze, slim like the PW NS, and something that when not in use can fit over the nut, or on the headstock (no limitations)....Great quality.

I have not tried the G7th. Would that be the ticket?

Thank you
Old 02-22-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy T. Coustic View Post
H
What I am looking for is something similar that's faster on/off, not difficult to squeeze, slim like the PW NS, and something that when not in use can fit over the nut, or on the headstock (no limitations)....Great quality.

I have not tried the G7th. Would that be the ticket?

Thank you
Since you want slim, try the G7th Newport.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
I was looking at that one, thanks. So, I can I put it on the headstock if not in use no matter what the headstock thickness would be?
Old 02-22-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I was looking at that one, thanks. So, I can I put it on the headstock if not in use no matter what the headstock thickness would be?
You can place the G7th Heritage above the nut, not clamped to the headstock, potentially damaging it. As a yoke style it offers superior performance, IMO.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 02-22-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
You can place the G7th Heritage above the nut, not clamped to the headstock, potentially damaging it. As a yoke style it offers superior performance, IMO.
OK, cool. Thank you.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

There are a variety of yoke style capos at various price points that can be stored above the nut. You may want check out the options. G7th Heritage, Elliott, Paige, Shubb F series, D'Addario has a new one out, and KatEyz. For my ears, the G7th and & Elliott sound the best but lots of folks here swear by the other ones as well. Good luck in finding the capo that best works for you.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-22-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
There are a variety of yoke style capos at various price points that can be stored above the nut. You may want check out the options. G7th Heritage, Elliott, Paige, Shubb F series, D'Addario has a new one out, and KatEyz. For my ears, the G7th and & Elliott sound the best but lots of folks here swear by the other ones as well. Good luck in finding the capo that best works for you.

Best,
Jayne
Thanks for posting Jayne. Yeah, it's been a little challenging lately.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post

I should've mentioned that it doesn't really have to be slim as long as I don't have to put it right near the fret.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Not really. I mean you could, but you would have to spend a bunch of time adjusting it first.

I have a G7th Newport 12-string capo. I put in in a shirt pocket when not using it.

If I want a capo stored on the headstock I use a Kyser.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 02-22-2019, 05:47 PM

I leave my Thalia just above the nut with no issues. Is yours the 200 series?
Old 02-22-2019, 06:32 PM

I have been reading about the G7th Performance 3 that is supposed to come out in March. Their website has some videos on it that might be of interest to you. I think I will get one when they become available.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:59 AM

Troy, your capo should never be clamped to a wood surface and left there for any amount of time. That's why a yoke style capo like a Paige, G7th Heritage or Elliott/McKinney seems to be what you're seeking.

Those all fit that bill from the budget priced Paige, to the two other higher end and better performing capos. Explore the information on the Heritage's Adaptive Radius Technology, which will be expanded to other G7th capos over time, I understand.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 02-23-2019, 12:42 PM

I would also recommend this one: https://www.g7th.com/p3
Old 02-23-2019, 02:01 PM

Another G7th owner here. I never use it, but I sure like how it works. Another excellent capo I have is the Shubb. I think these two capos are fine examples of engineering at its best.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 02-23-2019, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

I was a big fan/user of the PW NS. Recently switched over the the Shubb F1 FineTune and love it. You can go with the much less expensive Paige or the much more expensive G7 Heritage or Elliot. I find the Shubb F1 to be the perfect middle ground. Stores on or above the nut. Extremely nice quality with a nice delicate, small footprint.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion