The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-06-2014, 08:43 AM

Default Breedlove fretboard wear

Hi guys, first post here. I'm nervous.

I was itching to play an electric acoustic but didn't want to spend too much (I've had great guitars through the years - sold them my twins were born 10 years ago, should have kept the Collings!) Reading this forum I went with a Breedlove Passport CM250, bought it used over the 'net from Guitar Center across the country (they said it just had a ding on the front - didn't bother me). It looked like new and I've enjoyed it (my main guitar is a DY60 Yairi). I didn't bother to do a setup or replace strings, I was told this was done at GC. (I know, I know...)

I've had it two months... bought the US AG15 amp. The BL sounded terrible. Decided to change the strings. To my shock there was fret wear, just beside the B string, 2 & 3 fret. I didn't play it THAT much and the guitar is an '09 - I had vintage instruments and I've never seen this. This should have been pointed out when GC set it up for me, no? I know I should have looked closer, but as I said, great price.

Question is, is it worth having the work done on this guitar? My intuition says no, but my intuition might be looking for an excuse to buy a better guitar. I'd love some advice.

Thanks,
Tracey
Old 07-06-2014, 09:13 AM

If need be, you can have the two worn frets replaced for relatively little money, well under $100. Alternatively, you can dress all of the frets to the bottom of the wear and whatever setup work needs to accompany it. That'll cost more.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:21 AM

Thanks Charles...

Visually it's the fingerboard that is worn. The frets look fine, although that might be the cause of the issue...

I just wished I spent a big more, bought the same guitar locally new. Serves me right.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltiki View Post
Hi guys, first post here. I'm nervous.

I was itching to play an electric acoustic but didn't want to spend too much (I've had great guitars through the years - sold them my twins were born 10 years ago, should have kept the Collings!) Reading this forum I went with a Breedlove Passport CM250, bought it used over the 'net from Guitar Center across the country (they said it just had a ding on the front - didn't bother me). It looked like new and I've enjoyed it (my main guitar is a DY60 Yairi). I didn't bother to do a setup or replace strings, I was told this was done at GC. (I know, I know...)

I've had it two months... bought the US AG15 amp. The BL sounded terrible. Decided to change the strings. To my shock there was fret wear, just beside the B string, 2 & 3 fret. I didn't play it THAT much and the guitar is an '09 - I had vintage instruments and I've never seen this. This should have been pointed out when GC set it up for me, no? I know I should have looked closer, but as I said, great price.

Question is, is it worth having the work done on this guitar? My intuition says no, but my intuition might be looking for an excuse to buy a better guitar. I'd love some advice.

Thanks,
Tracey
Fret-work is like brake-wok on cars - specifically, required maintenance due to friction wearing down metal parts.

A good fret dressing should give you 5 to 10 more years happy playing before another fret-dressing is needed. A set of frets should be able to take 3, sometimes 4 fret dressings before replacing.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 07-06-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltiki View Post
Visually it's the fingerboard that is worn.
Depending upon what you have, exactly, epoxy and saw dust might do the trick. If it is dark, uniform ebony, it might be done invisibly. If rosewood, maybe, maybe not: depends on what the wood, its colour and grain looks like. Inexpensive.

Alternatives are to remove the frets, dress the fingerboard to remove the wear, refret. Expensive.

Given that you've had the guitar and played it for two months and didn't notice it until now suggests that it is minor and cosmetic.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:16 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the info! I decided two things.

I'm lucky to have Old Style Guitar Shop - a couple of streets away out here in L.A., I will have the BL looked, keeping in mind these possible outcomes you've posted (it's a rosewood fretboard). Or sell in at a loss...

I also used BL mess as an excuse to pick up the guitar I should've picked up in the first place - A Taylor 314ce! Went to the local GC (yes, another GC, but they were open and I'm impulsive with guitars) and played a bunch of Taylors and... couldn't help myself.

I have questions and will move to the main forum.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair