The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-03-2014, 12:29 PM

Default My New Octave Mandolin Build..from a kit

I've been wanting to build my own guitar for quite some time, but I've always held off on starting. At the same time, I've ended up with 2 custom luthier-built instruments that I could never come close to if I built my own.

So...I decided to go for an Octave Mandolin build!

I love the deeper register of the larger mandolin-family instruments, especially on Celtic-style music. I knew I would need to go the kit route for my first one, simply because I don't have all the specialized tools building from scratch would require.

After searching on the web, I found what I wanted at Musicmakers Kits. They've put together a hybrid Octave Mandolin kit, based on their Dakota parlour guitar package. That's exactly what I want, because I saw John Doyle playing a guitar-shaped octave mando/bouzouki a few years ago and it looked really cool to me.

So...I ordered my kit about 3 weeks ago, and it came on Friday May 30th. I'm going to try and chronicle my build experience here. Hopefully, people will find it interesting to see/read, and equally hopefully, I will get some useful feedback/advice from more experienced hobby builders. So...here goes....

Well, my kit arrived last Friday, exactly when UPS said it would. Kudos to efficient shipping and delivery systems! The only down-side to the delivery was the extra $121 CAN that I had to pay for customs brokerage. If I do this again, I think I'll get the kit delivered to a pick-up centre near the border and bring it back in to Canada myself. Since we live so close to the Washington/BC border, it would be simple to do.

The packaging was a little crushed in the corners, but none of the parts were damaged in any way. Lots of recycled shredded paper; plastic bubble-wrap on the ends of all the pieces; and the various components plastic wrapped together. Nice and clean packaging.

I opened the instruction manual, and noticed that the parts list was already ticked off....by whoever packed the box, I guess. I still went through the list again to confirm I had everything. Yep, all there

I've read the Dakota parlour manual for a few weeks now, so I know it fairly well. The manual in the package is called the Dakota Octave Mandolin and Mandocello Kit, which, of course, is appropriate . So, I read it to compare the differences between it and the Parlour. Didn't really notice any...

Now, I'm going to assemble my tools and wood materials. I've got most of the clamps I need, except clothes pins and 2 long-reach clamps. I'd like to add a nice wood chisel to the ones I already have, though. Perfect excuse for a trip to Lee Valley!

Should be a fun project....
Washburn Mandolin
Kit-made Octave Mandolin
Martin HD-28
Old 06-06-2014, 04:35 PM

Default Octave Mandolin Build - Day 1

Today was Day 1 for my Mandolin kit build.

I've read the instructions...a few times already, and I think I'm ready to start.

There was a lot of shredded paper in the box, and the parts were pretty well separated. Nothing was damaged.

The instructions told me to do a test assemble of the side ribs to ensure everything was going to go together properly. Here's the test assembly...

As you can see, the kit 6 separate pieces for the sides, and joins the upper and lower bouts with a connecting corner block rib made from walnut. It's a little unusual, but I think it will be fine.

Once I did my test, I moved on to gluing and clamping the corner block ribs to the side ribs.

So far, so good..

Next, I glued up the tail end of the body, gluing the tail block to the 2 end pieces.

I've been wiping up any run-out from the glue as I go along, so things are looking okay to me. But, I ran into a little trouble here, because of run-out in some spots that I couldn't seem to get to...Luckily, I'll be putting an insert into the tail piece anyway.

After gluing those 4 pieces together, the instructions tell you to glue only 1 piece from the heel rib to the heel block, leaving the other one for later. So, I was obedient..

Time for morning coffee anyways.....

After waiting an appropriate time, I unclamped my side ribs glue-up, and proceeded to connect the side ribs and tail ribs together..

Everything is still going according to the instructions, which is good..

Next came connecting the side ribs to the heel ribs, including the unglued heel rib.

Little messes here and there, but I'm trying to keep things as clean as possible. At the end of my first morning, I've got a completed box.

You can see that those walnut connecting ribs are quite large. The instruction book recommends shaving or sanding the down to almost flush with the sides, and I will definitely be doing that...on Monday.

No work on the kit during the weekend...that's play time.
Washburn Mandolin
Kit-made Octave Mandolin
Martin HD-28
Old 06-13-2014, 04:03 PM

Default Octave Mandolin Build - Day 2 to 7

Well, I've completed a week of working on my mandolin kit. It has been challenging and gratifying at the same time. Here's what I managed to do this week, in pictures:

1. Installing Kerfing

2. Opening up the heel block slot for the tenon

3. Building and using a Sanding Block

4. Gluing up the X bracing

5. Gluing the Transverse Bracing

6. Gluing the Bridge Plate

7. Gluing the Soundboard to the body sides.
Washburn Mandolin
Kit-made Octave Mandolin
Martin HD-28
Old 07-01-2014, 01:32 AM

This looks like an awesome project. Good on you for starting. I am sure it will be a fantastic instrument.
I am intrigued by that shape. very curious to see what it looks like with a neck, back and top on it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair