The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-26-2014, 02:01 PM

Default Crack repair

I have a 1950s Gibson LG-1 that I'm restoring. It has a 2 top cracks and is separating on one side. One of the cracks is from under the original pick guard. I've been hydrating it for a few months now as it was very dry. Here's my question: should I first fix the separation on the side were the back is separating from the side(and the bracing) or should I fix the cracks in the top first. It seams like one would pull or affect the other. It has hydrated well and is ready for repairs however the top is still pretty flat. I've considering removing the back since it's separating anyways. That would give me good access to both sides of the top however the old original purfling looks pretty fragile. I hesitate to disturb it.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:49 AM

Tough to say without actually seeing it first hand but I may have opted to fix the back separation issue before hydrating to repair the top.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:01 AM

Sometimes old guitars develop cracks near the pick-guard due to plastic shrinkage.

Sometimes, cracks should be fixed in a particular order, other times, it doesn't matter the order. As Mr. Howard states, it is tough to give a definitive answer by your brief description, but I also would be inclined to fix the back-to-side separation first.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 04-28-2014, 07:54 PM

Default back separation

I am leaning toward fixing the back and braces first. The cracks in the top will be next I can post some pictures. Standby
Old 06-23-2014, 09:05 PM

Did you ever get the cracks repaired?

I just posted about my '55 LG1. It came from Abilene, TX and was very dry. Here in central Texas our humidity has been high lately and I placed a damp sponge in it.

I've glued 5/6 loose braces and located a crack. Massaged glue into it because it was very tight and clean. I think it happened when gluing and clamping a brace.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brhibler1 View Post
Here in central Texas our humidity has been high lately and I placed a damp sponge in
if that wasn't a typo, a damp sponge in damp weather would make things worse.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:53 PM

I did that for one day. Then moved it to my basement where the humidity is controlled with dehumidifier. 60-65%

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair