The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-19-2009, 11:05 PM

Default Clark A-Wedge Finally Arrived

Well, today was a fun day at work, primarily because my new Clark A-Wedge custom build arrived! The postman dropped it off a little after noon, and I was finally able to get a few minutes to play with it a couple hours later.

First Impressions:

When I opened up the case and laid my eyes on the A-Wedge it struck me how beautiful she is, and what a great job Kevin did in crafting this guitar.

The fit is precise and the finish is great with the gloss back/sides/top and front/back headstock blending well with the satin finish neck. As I took it out of its case, it was suprisingly light for the size (maybe because it doesn't have any back bracing?) and felt very comfortable under my arm. The unique bevel also makes it feel smaller than its size. The action and setup out of the box is just the way I like it, fast, smooth and easy to play.

Now for the real surprise - the voice of this guitar is very different than what I would have expected. It didn't strike me as the typical sinker redwood top voice when I played it for the few minutes that I was able to today. The fullness and complex overtones that I have experienced and expected with my other sinker tops was quite less pronounced with this A-Wedge. In some ways this guitar has a voice similar to the sinker redwood/lutz double top Gwaltney that I used to own. Its sound is bright, clear and tends to have much more projection than a typical sinker redwood (if there is such a thing). It leans towards a solid mid range and less bass with a generous sustain. If you were to close your eyes while playing her, you wouldn't easily be able to discern her as having a redwood top.

I didn't have a lot of time to play her today, and I didn't bring her home - thought I'd keep her at the office so I can continue to compare her to the Orca.

I don't have any clips, but am hoping to get ahold of one that Ben Pegg made when Kevin finished her....

After traveling through this build adventure over the last few months, I can honestly say that I'm very happy with how she turned out, both visually and sonic-ly. She is different from my other guitars in both instances, but that was one of the main reasons I wanted to have her built.

It'll be very interesting to see how her sound matures over the next few weeks and months.

Orca and A-Wedge in my office....

Clark: A-Wedge Monkeypod/Snkr Rdwd
Cornerstone: Zion All Koa
Cornerstone: Tenor Ukulele Prototype #2 All Koa
Fay: OM Mac Eb/Englemann
Stehr: Aud. Braz/Snkr Rdwd 8-str

Plaid Coyote's gone home to play
Old 10-20-2009, 05:46 AM

Im glad it got there in one piece. Yes the Monkey pod was really lightweight wood and the first time i used it. Try the Phospher Bronze Nanos if you can get them , All the Store had was the 80 20 and almost tried my regular strings to see the difference. Also if you play Django Rheihardt or stocelo Rosenberg on her, she will shine.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

Looks great Hen, congrats and enjoy!
Old 10-27-2009, 07:03 PM

Kevin emailed me that Ben Pegg uploaded an MP3 of the Monkeypod/Sinker to his website. It was recorded in his basement raw, no EQ or anything. Here's the link to the clip.....

http://kevinmichaelclarkguitars.com/.../Inverness.mp3

Thanks Kevin and Ben..... Enjoy!

Old 10-27-2009, 07:47 PM

YES! This is the sound I've been searching for all along! Warm but glassy, rich but with a strong fundamental! Oh my God! That guitar is amazing!

Kevin, if you're reading this, I'm only in high school right now and I'm very low on cash, but once I'm out of college I am commissioning an A-Wedge. WOW! I am sold. That's all I can really say.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:31 AM

Hi Hen!

What a beautiful guitar!!! I listened to the clip, amazing!!!
You do have a great collection of guitars!! And a great eye for great luthiers!!

You must have quite a fun office at times, what with all the guitars!

Congrats on a beautiful guitar!
Old 10-31-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmyloujake View Post
Hi Hen!

What a beautiful guitar!!! I listened to the clip, amazing!!!
You do have a great collection of guitars!! And a great eye for great luthiers!!

You must have quite a fun office at times, what with all the guitars!

Congrats on a beautiful guitar!
Thanks Mary! It'll be even more fun when the 00-12 Stehr comes later in Nov. (Joel's waiting on the Ameritage case so he can ship) and Rick's Gwaltney comes in as well.

Hope you've been having loads of fun with your Gwaltney!

Aloha,

Hen

Old 10-31-2009, 08:12 PM

That sound clip is excellent. I also love all the attention to detail on this guitar. The slant on the back at the cutaway looks nice and the strings disappear into the body. Really a one of kind.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:21 PM

Hey Hen-

Yes, the Gwaltney is something special! Lots of fun! My two guitar buddies are totally in love with it too! I'm looking forward (vicariously) to the arrival of Rick's Gwaltney - I love seeing the new pics and all the comments when they arrive all shiny and perfect from the luthier!

Your new guitar looks very beautiful - it's fun to look at the pics when work gets a bit nuts! Very soothing to see such a lovely instrument.

-mary
Old 11-03-2009, 06:07 PM

Congrats Hen - very beautiful guitar!

Looking forward to your comment on the 00-12...
Old 11-03-2009, 06:23 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Wow!!! That is absolutely incredible. What a beautiful work of art. Congratulations!

JR
Old 11-03-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmyloujake View Post
Hey Hen-

Yes, the Gwaltney is something special! Lots of fun! My two guitar buddies are totally in love with it too! I'm looking forward (vicariously) to the arrival of Rick's Gwaltney - I love seeing the new pics and all the comments when they arrive all shiny and perfect from the luthier!

Your new guitar looks very beautiful - it's fun to look at the pics when work gets a bit nuts! Very soothing to see such a lovely instrument.

-mary
Joe's got the Gwaltney so stay tuned for some pics in the next couple weeks!

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens"
Jimi

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop