The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-20-2024, 10:36 PM

Default Seagull Ruby Ltd Edition CH

Hi,
I bought this guitar new 2 months ago. Today I noticed two wave (straight) lines parallel to the strings at equal distance from the low and high E within the width of the bridge. The lines start at the bottom of the guitar where the binding meats the top. They only extend to about 2 inches and after that they disappear. i discovered those by feeling the top with my hand. We had a very hot and humid weather for 2 days now. but I removed the humidifier from the guitar case as soon as I could before the jump in humidity. I really don't know if the lines existed before and am very worried about the guitar. Please advise if you have already experienced or are aware of what can cause such problem and if it's serious ...

Thanks in advance

PS: I tried to capture the lines as much as i good with my cell phone camera.

Old 06-21-2024, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

Looking at the second photo, it looks more like a very slightly depressed rectangular shape than two lines. This seems to be right over the tail block.

My guess (and it is just a guess) is that it could possibly be a clamp mark from when the top was glued to the body. Cedar is a pretty soft wood and easily dented. And the depression may not have been noticed and sanded out before finishing. Like you said, you have only just noticed this yourself.

So this may not have anything to do with the last 2 days of higher humidity.

But like I said, this is just a guess on my part that the marks are from a slightly over tightened clamp during assembly.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 06-21-2024, 12:38 AM

Hi Robin, thanks for the quick reply. Wow, I just noticed the rectangle myself in the picture now . I just wrote to the Seagull customer service to advise about the issue hopefully they can do something about it. After all the guitar is still unplayed. I picked it up for the first time this evening .

Last edited by waljbt; 06-21-2024 at 01:03 AM.
Old 06-21-2024, 01:04 AM
Charter Member

In my opinion, if it is a clamp mark then it is cosmetic rather than structural.

Seagull customer service have been pretty good each time that I have talked with them.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 06-21-2024, 06:57 AM

Thanks. I contacted Seagull because I find it kind of unacceptable on a brand new 1000 Cad$ instrument. I mean I had bought instruments half this price that have no problem at all.
Old 06-21-2024, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Since it's so new and perhaps covered under warranty, I think that's your best course of action.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't be super bothered by a little waviness in the top. This to me means that the top is thin which usually means it has a good open tone. A stiff, overly thick top will always remain tight and not as open. Just my opinion. I have several guitars with some belly bulge/flex going on. But yeah on a new guitar I'd have that checked out.
Old 06-21-2024, 07:26 AM

Absolutely. If it was a used guitar I got, I wouldn't have been so concerned. But a new unplayed instrument that I tried my best to protect against humidity changes (always in hard case, humidifier in and out when needed...
Old 06-21-2024, 07:41 AM

Just found a thread discussing of the same issue :

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=571125

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2024, 05:53 PM

Incidentally, I just noticed this on one of my custom guitars today (engelmann top). The light from the lamp was hitting the lower bout at just the right angle. Never noticed it before, but as soon as I saw it, I thought of this thread. I think Rollypolly gets it right: it's called "telegraphing," and it can show up in lighter-built tops. And like Rollypolly, I also think it's a good thing. Here's what Bruce Sexauer says in the linked thread:

"I often see something in that vein in my own guitars. It is probably the result of a lightly built guitar. When a top is under around .105", as many of mine are, the structure inside is liable to telegraph and be visible as distortion in the flatness of the top. I can't speak for your maker, but I have had 0 failures foretold by this phenomenon."

Seems like you figured it out, but I thought I'd share.
Old 06-23-2024, 06:36 PM

I finally took the guitar to a professional luthier for an inspection / setup. He immediatly confirmed to me, as everyone else expected here, that this was nothing serious and that it was in fact the end block telegraphing on the top. The guy was honest and told me after checking the guitar action, neck relief... that it needed absolutely nothing and it was good to go. Not bad for a guitar straight from the factory

To pay this Seagull gem the respect its due, I just got her a D'Addario Humidipak starter kit
Old 06-23-2024, 07:14 PM

Pure guess on my part but, I would think the humidity would want to cause the top to expand and belly outward but, the tail block prevents that portion of the top from moving. So, you get a flat, low rectangle where the top is glued to the end block. I suspect it will be reduced or eliminated when the guitar is drier.
Old 06-23-2024, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeGumar View Post
Pure guess on my part but, I would think the humidity would want to cause the top to expand and belly outward but, the tail block prevents that portion of the top from moving. So, you get a flat, low rectangle where the top is glued to the end block. I suspect it will be reduced or eliminated when the guitar is drier.
Exactly what the luthier explained to me
Old 06-23-2024, 11:24 PM

My word! This guitar was made of wood, by humans, in a factory! Anybody want flawless? Take out a second mortgage and go spend money. Factory guitars can have individual cosmetic variations and still be within QC parameters.
Old 06-24-2024, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
My word! This guitar was made of wood, by humans, in a factory! Anybody want flawless? Take out a second mortgage and go spend money. Factory guitars can have individual cosmetic variations and still be within QC parameters.
Agree 100%, I was just concerned it would have a structural defect but now, all good 😊
Old 06-24-2024, 10:01 AM

Anyway... Beautiful color on that one! Play the crap outta that thang

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion