The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 06-18-2024, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi Koko, I think that a very high percentage of Baby boomer guitarists started or had a Hofner archtop early in their playing life. I certainly did!

In the early '70s.
Baby boomers in Europe may have had access to lots of Hofner guitars and bass guitars, but in the 1970’s here in North America I think I saw a grand total of one. Predictably, it was a Hofner Beatle bass.

I don’t think I saw any Hofner guitars over here until I was well into my forties, and in the years since I’ve only seen a handful.

Swedish-made Goyas and those little student grade Gibsons are what boomers in the US had access to. The ones with more money got Guilds, and the truly fortunate acquired Martins. But I personally couldn’t afford any Martins until I was well past my youth.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-19-2024, 01:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko61 View Post
This Höfner 456/S is my first archtop. She is in excellent cosmetic condition, but the action is a little high, I will have to send her to my luthier to make her a little more comfortable to play.
It comes with flat wound strings, but I will probably change them for strings that contain nickel (Martin Retro Monel or D'addario NB) that give me a good acoustic sound but at the same time are somewhat magnetic, because I plan to install a floating pickup, type Kent. Armstrong.
I would like to know your opinion and some advice. Thank you so much!

Hi Koko, back in the '50s and '60s Hofners were about all we could get, in many British music shops anyway.

There were also some east German makes but Hofners were best.

Thin, deep necks I seem to remember and the higher level instruments used beautiful woods.

As they are of an age, many needed neck resets.

I hope that your luthier can make the action suit you.

Enjoy your new/old guitar!
Old 06-19-2024, 12:49 PM

Thank you. Tomorrow I'm going to pick it up at the workshop and I'll comment something.

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2018 Loef Dread SS 12 fret
1972 Yamaha FG-75 Red Label
1959 Höfner 456/S
Old 06-20-2024, 01:12 PM

Incredible work done by my luthier in installing the pickup and potentiometers, in addition to cleaning the fret and a new bone nut.

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
1959 Höfner 456/S
Old 06-21-2024, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Very cool. What an art deco machine! Looks well made too. I considered buying one of these on Reverb but I hesitated since I couldn't try them in person. I since picked up a 50s Gretsch and an L-48. I installed the same Kent Armstrong pickup on the pickguard and it works great (on the Gretsch). Very good jazz tone!
Old 06-22-2024, 11:14 AM

Thanks! It's a beautiful guitar!

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
1959 Höfner 456/S
Old 06-23-2024, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks! It's a beautiful guitar!

You’ve got a real rarity there, that particular model was exported to the UK back in these days as the Höfner President, I had a ‘59 model a few years back,it had been used and played, with a few battle scars,but structurally sound,never had a pick up to my knowledge, wish I’d kept it,I wish you many hours of playing pleasure on your one.
Old 06-23-2024, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
This Höfner 456/S is my first archtop. She is in excellent cosmetic condition, but the action is a little high, I will have to send her to my luthier to make her a little more comfortable to play.
It comes with flat wound strings, but I will probably change them for strings that contain nickel (Martin Retro Monel or D'addario NB) that give me a good acoustic sound but at the same time are somewhat magnetic, because I plan to install a floating pickup, type Kent. Armstrong.
I would like to know your opinion and some advice. Thank you so much!

Ola, they were the first archtops for many European guitarists, and often the first guitar! The high action is also typical, and probably justifies a neck reset but floating bridge can be reduced, if you can accept the loss of volume.

I'm saddened that you want to electrify it, but if you must a floating p/up screwed to the neck extension is the only way.

Might I suggest that you don't have any holes drilled into the top.

I use D'Addario Nickel Bronze on all my archtops. They work very , sound good and last well.

Ola, fueron las primeras archtops para muchos guitarristas europeos y, a menudo, ¡la primera guitarra! La acción alta también es típica y probablemente justifica un reinicio del mástil, pero el puente flotante se puede reducir si se puede aceptar la pérdida de volumen.

Me entristece que quieras electrificarlo, pero si es necesario, la única manera es un p/up flotante atornillado a la extensión del mástil.

¿Puedo sugerirle que no haga ningún agujero en la parte superior?

Utilizo D'Addario Nickel Bronze en todos mis archtops. Funcionan muy bien, suenan bien y duran bien.
Old 06-23-2024, 05:23 PM

All the electronics are mounted on the pickguard, easily replaceable, so you don't have to touch the guitar at all. The only thing that has been replaced is the poorly constructed nut, with a new bone one.

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
1959 Höfner 456/S
Old 06-25-2024, 05:11 AM

I had a Hofner President-which is the same model featured in this thread,same dimensions etc, back in 2016 I paid around 450 for it, the guitar had some usage scars,it was a ‘58 model after all, I never played it through an amp,it’d had a pickup at one time,but been removed , acoustically,it sounded quite loud and woody,and the action being just right,the neck was fine and dandy,no fret issues,I bonded with it for a long while,then sold it to a local guy who treasures and plays the hell out of it,they are great guitars,and being made In Germany,built to last.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops