The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-22-2024, 09:49 AM

Default Pepe Romero 6 string

Has anyone tried the Pepe Romero DHo 6 nylon strung instrument?
Old 06-22-2024, 06:58 PM

Hi Evan,
I have two of the Romero Creations DH6 guitars. One is the original DH6 and one is the Vibrante DH6. Both have nylon strings. They are wonderful. I have a pickup and strap buttons installed in the DH6 original and just brought it to a conference filled with folks who are musicians. They all were in love with it. At some point I will put a pickup and strap buttons in the Vibrante.
The Vibrante is more responsive than the original DH6 but both are lovely.
Barb
Old 06-23-2024, 09:29 AM

Barb; Thank you. I have been dithering about this instrument and you may have just pushed me over the edge.
Old 06-23-2024, 11:38 AM

Default questions

Barb; Now that you have me fired up, I have questions.

What vendor(s) did you use in purchasing your Romeros?

Did they do a set up for you and, if so, what setups did you go for?

Did the vendor for the original DH6 install the electronics and what pickup what did you select?

I've was looking for a used Romero but have given up because most of the used instruments have problems (like the one currently listed at Elderly Instruments).

I trust your judgement and glad you weighed in regarding the Romeros.
Old 06-23-2024, 06:23 PM

Hi Evan,
The first DH6 I bought from TheUkuleleSite.com. They did a setup and gave the guitar a nice, low action. They installed a MiSi Uke Trio in the guitar.

I bought the DH6 Vibrante directly from Pepe Romero. He did a setup on the guitar but left the action higher than what was done at TheUkuleleSite.com. Pepe does not install pickups or strap buttons. I would have bought this from TheUkuleleSite.com but they had no DH6 Vibrantes when I wanted one. Now I am waiting for the luthier I use to make the adjustments to this guitar that I want.

I also have a Romero Creations Baritone Six String that I like a lot. The sound is great. I find that I like the DH6s because they have the 21 inch scale which the Baritone Six String doesn't.

It is nice to see you posting again, Evan!

Best regards,
Barb
Old 06-24-2024, 07:45 AM

Barb;

Thank you for the information. It's clear by your multiple ownership that you really like the Romeros. I see one in my future, not sure which one.

It's good to be posting and conversing with you again.
Old 06-24-2024, 02:54 PM

Barb,

I just purchased an RC-DHO6 "Athens" from Terry Carter Guitars. The instrument will come with the MiSi pickup and a setup. The instruments is described as a Baritone but I can't be sure if the description covers the instrument or the strings?? Not that it matters.

Now comes the waiting part...................................eb
Old 06-24-2024, 06:14 PM

Hi Evan,
I hope you will love the DHo6. That is the first one I bought. I have had such a good time with it. The 21 inch scale is just what the doctor ordered for me. The only thing I am not in love with is the stringing of it since there is no tie bridge. But I love the instrument so much that I can deal with the stringing. In fact, all 3 of The Romero Creations guitars I have have that method of stringing them. I also have a Little Pepe that was built by Pepe himself and he didn't use a tie on bridge on that either.
Did you put strap buttons on the DHo6? If you didn't then you will need a NeckUp since it has no waist.
Enjoy the guitar!
Barb
Old 06-24-2024, 07:41 PM

Yes, the lack of string tie is bothersome, but no big thing. I didn't order a strap button. I've had other guitars that seemed to require a neck-up but managed to play without it. I don't know if it will work with the Romero, but what I've found in the past is that a piece of adhesive stairway sandpaper in the right spot helps maintain a sitting position--in any event I'll find out.

I appreciate your walking me though this purchase.
Old 06-26-2024, 02:37 AM

I've had the chance to try out the Pepe Romero DHo 6 nylon string instrument, borrowed from a friend, and I have to say, it's quite impressive. The sound is really rich and warm, with a nice balance across the strings. Playing it felt smooth and easy. If you're looking for a quality nylon string guitar that delivers both in sound and playability, this one is definitely worth considering
Old 06-26-2024, 07:57 AM

Mladenovic;

Thank you for making me feel more comfortable regarding my new purchase. I've never seen one of these before, much less played one, but Barb1 is a very credible source with me and got me started--your affirmation helps.
Old 07-05-2024, 10:09 AM

The Pepe arrived and it is a remarkable instrument--Everything Barb 1 says about the Romero is true. I am surprised that such a small instrument can produce such volume and tonal qualities.

The instrument is slippery, and I don't' use a strap (as was suggested). I've ordered a knee rest for the Pepe and hope that will work.

I have a custom Blackbird Savoy nylon string and a Cordoba mini ii EB-CE. The Savoy had felt light relative to other nylon string guitars, but it now seems heavy compared to the Romero. The Cordoba is good as a travel guitar but doesn't come close to the Pepe in projection or tone.

If the knee support works as I hope it well, I'm in.....................
Old 07-06-2024, 12:20 PM

Hi Evan,
I am sooooo glad you like the the Romero Creations DH6!.. I am bringing mine to a retreat tomorrow and I know it is going to turn heads. I brought it to a conference several weeks ago and it got a lot of good attention.

Which support did you get? I have been using a NeckUp when not using the strap.

By the way, I still have your BlackBird Tenor Uke and I am enjoying it.
Best,
Barb
Old 07-06-2024, 02:58 PM

I'm not sure which support I have on the way, but I've taken your advice and ordered a strap so I think I have it covered.

I'm not surprised at the attention the Romero is getting at various conferences--I am surprised that there has been so little attention paid to the instrument.

I was going to ask you about the Tenor Uke--you may have a unique artifact.
Old 07-07-2024, 02:49 PM

& so. I have the following accessories coming for the Pepe:

A Tuoren Leg Stand, a cheap tool enough to determine if a leg stand is right for
me.

A Nefelibata guitar strap.

A BQLZR redwood arm rest.

They're all arriving on Wednesday.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical