The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-13-2015, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Thoughts on Ebony with Cedar top?

I'm considering a 12 fret guitar with Cedar top and Macassar Ebony back & sides. I can't demo it as it's too far away, but I've heard sound clips and it sounds quite nice (though sound clips aren't always what the guitar sounds like in person).

If you have any experience with this combination of tone woods, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Good, bad, meh?

Thanks!
- Mike
Old 04-13-2015, 07:00 PM

I can't comment specifically on that combo, but I do have a sinker redwood/ Macassar combo in a 14 fretter. Cedar and redwood are purported to be very similar, tonally speaking.
Overall, I adore that guitar. If I had to describe the tone in one word it would be sweet.
If I could change anything about the guitar, it would be to have made it a 12 fret short scale.
If I were you I'd go for it!
Good luck.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:41 PM

Mike, I haven't played any guitars with that precise tonewood combination, but I have a lot of experience with cedar-topped guitars (and own two) and have played some Macassar ebony guitars that knocked my socks off. Cedar over Macassar ebony sounds like a really promising tonewood combination to me.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-13-2015, 07:41 PM

Played a Taylor custom Grand Concert with cedar top and Macassar ebony back and sides with custom sunburst finish at a Road Show recently. It wasn't a 12 fret but it had a wonderful tone. That guitar was the pick of that Road Show's litter.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastman View Post
I'm considering a 12 fret guitar with Cedar top and Macassar Ebony back & sides. I can't demo it as it's too far away, but I've heard sound clips and it sounds quite nice (though sound clips aren't always what the guitar sounds like in person).

If you have any experience with this combination of tone woods, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Good, bad, meh?

Thanks!
- Mike
I played this one at Ted's as well as many other Taylor BTO's and it is a fantastic combo for Taylor. What brand is the guitar you're thinking about?
Old 04-13-2015, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFrank View Post
I played this one at Ted's as well as many other Taylor BTO's and it is a fantastic combo for Taylor. What brand is the guitar you're thinking about?
Wow! That's gorgeous. Very cool burst finish on that one! The one I'm considering is a Taylor as well, though not nearly as nice as that one!

Thank you everyone for your responses so far. Really appreciate the help from my Forum buddies!
Old 04-13-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastman View Post
Wow! That's gorgeous. Very cool burst finish on that one! The one I'm considering is a Taylor as well, though not nearly as nice as that one!

Thank you everyone for your responses so far. Really appreciate the help from my Forum buddies!
Yep, that guitar is amazing, and Ted told me sinker has been discontinued so that is their last one with that combo. By the way, not sure what's going on at Taylor with sinker and cocobolo being pulled.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
12 fret, cedar, ebony, macassar, macassar ebony