The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-13-2015, 05:52 PM
Coastman Coastman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Posts: 579
Default Thoughts on Ebony with Cedar top?

I'm considering a 12 fret guitar with Cedar top and Macassar Ebony back & sides. I can't demo it as it's too far away, but I've heard sound clips and it sounds quite nice (though sound clips aren't always what the guitar sounds like in person).

If you have any experience with this combination of tone woods, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Good, bad, meh?

Thanks!
- Mike
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-13-2015, 07:00 PM
JLed79 JLed79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 2,605
Default

I can't comment specifically on that combo, but I do have a sinker redwood/ Macassar combo in a 14 fretter. Cedar and redwood are purported to be very similar, tonally speaking.
Overall, I adore that guitar. If I had to describe the tone in one word it would be sweet.
If I could change anything about the guitar, it would be to have made it a 12 fret short scale.
If I were you I'd go for it!
Good luck.
__________________
Some Taylors and a Gibby.
If you want to know more just ask.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-13-2015, 07:41 PM
Wade Hampton Wade Hampton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chugiak, Alaska
Posts: 31,464
Default

Mike, I haven't played any guitars with that precise tonewood combination, but I have a lot of experience with cedar-topped guitars (and own two) and have played some Macassar ebony guitars that knocked my socks off. Cedar over Macassar ebony sounds like a really promising tonewood combination to me.


Wade Hampton Miller
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-13-2015, 07:41 PM
hohen hohen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 53
Default

Played a Taylor custom Grand Concert with cedar top and Macassar ebony back and sides with custom sunburst finish at a Road Show recently. It wasn't a 12 fret but it had a wonderful tone. That guitar was the pick of that Road Show's litter.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-13-2015, 07:45 PM
AndyFrank AndyFrank is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastman View Post
I'm considering a 12 fret guitar with Cedar top and Macassar Ebony back & sides. I can't demo it as it's too far away, but I've heard sound clips and it sounds quite nice (though sound clips aren't always what the guitar sounds like in person).

If you have any experience with this combination of tone woods, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Good, bad, meh?

Thanks!
- Mike
I played this one at Ted's as well as many other Taylor BTO's and it is a fantastic combo for Taylor. What brand is the guitar you're thinking about?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-13-2015, 10:14 PM
Coastman Coastman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Posts: 579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFrank View Post
I played this one at Ted's as well as many other Taylor BTO's and it is a fantastic combo for Taylor. What brand is the guitar you're thinking about?
Wow! That's gorgeous. Very cool burst finish on that one! The one I'm considering is a Taylor as well, though not nearly as nice as that one!

Thank you everyone for your responses so far. Really appreciate the help from my Forum buddies!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-13-2015, 11:02 PM
AndyFrank AndyFrank is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastman View Post
Wow! That's gorgeous. Very cool burst finish on that one! The one I'm considering is a Taylor as well, though not nearly as nice as that one!

Thank you everyone for your responses so far. Really appreciate the help from my Forum buddies!
Yep, that guitar is amazing, and Ted told me sinker has been discontinued so that is their last one with that combo. By the way, not sure what's going on at Taylor with sinker and cocobolo being pulled.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
12 fret, cedar, ebony, macassar, macassar ebony

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=