The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-24-2019, 03:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

I know this is a guitar site, so listen past the fiddle and hear the JZ-16 in the back. it is the Cherry one I made a couple of years ago. A very nice acoustic arch top if I don't say so myself.

Gee Baby, aint i good to you.

I remixed the above tune and put in a guitar solo: HERE.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 08-24-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Bruce,

Sorry to hear what you have to face. Wish you the very best on your surgery and for a speedy recovery.

Scott
Old 09-04-2019, 06:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Today I did all my pre-op stuff with Kaiser, my healthcare provider. They say I was being realistic when I made my plan to make no commitments work wise until Jan 1 2020. That’ll give me 14 weeks for recovery. Apparently, I am as heathy as 72 year old guy can be as I go into this process.

While ( was down there I dropped off a couple of guitars at Schoenberg’s shop. One was a warranty job I did on a 2007 13 fretter (Kerala) Sexauer he sold new for me at that time. It needed a fret mill, a truss-rod tweak, and a saddle lowering, but was still nicely within spec. Sounds great and is for sale as soon as he gets it listed. The original owner has more serious health issues than I do, it seems.

The other guitar is the single 0 in Pernambuco I made for last year’s B. I. G. This guitar can eat most OMs and spit them out as toothpicks. Not cheap, but a great value IMO. This guitar is one of two single 0’s I made at the time, which I called Zigotic twins. That means fraternal rather than identical. The other is mahogany and I am keeping in my shop. It is 5/7 the price of the P version. P is great but it is expensive material.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:43 PM

I am glad all your pre-op stuff looks good Bruce, at least you know you are going into it with the best situation you can rather than have other issues.

As for the guitars, let's hope they both sell so you have a nice check waiting for you when you are strong enough to go to the bank!!!!
Old 09-04-2019, 08:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Only the single 0 will help line my pockets. The work I did on the customer’s Kerala was just my regular ongoing customer service.

Thank you for your ongoing emotional support, Tom, this kind of thing has its challenges for artist types like myself.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Smile What Tom said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I am glad all your pre-op stuff looks good Bruce, at least you know you are going into it with the best situation you can rather than have other issues.

As for the guitars, let's hope they both sell so you have a nice check waiting for you when you are strong enough to go to the bank!!!!
We are all in your corner Bruce! Even if we are spread out around the world...

In Warren Zevon's words, "enjoy every sandwich". As for artistic types I hope it is comforting to know how much you have enhanced folks lives with all the awesome instruments you have created. And all the music they have made!

Sending the good vibes

Paul (and Cindy)
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 09-07-2019, 12:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Tomorrow, Sunday 9/8/2019 at 1 pm, there will be a NCAL meeting in my shop featuring me making lunch for those who RSVP by email: [email protected] If you somehow do not know where my Petaluma California shop is, ask. Any interested persons are welcome.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Really nice NCAL meeting today. I made lunch for 14 people, then we did show and tell. 3 people brought guitars (I made one of them) and I got to play them after the owners talked. Great fun.

Then I did the main presentation. I made a bridge from scratch, scribed it onto the the guitar, stripped the finish, and glued it on. Of special note, I showed how I mix the dry HHG with cold water, heat it, assess and alter its viscosity, and then used it for the job. 16 were there for that, plus myself. Took an hour and a half. Greater fun.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

I was surprised to learn during yesterday's bridge-making presentation that many were mystified about how to slot a bridge after installing it, as many seem to install pre-slotted bridges. I find that bridges wiggle slightly when installed, and therefore it is much easier to get near perfect intonation by putting the slot exactly where I think it should be.

So, as a follow up, here are 3 pictures which may give insight into my system:

You can see the pencil line I am working to in this shot, and also the spectacular medullary in the Polish spruce top:

A Dremel motor in the wonderful Bishop Cochrane base:
Old 09-09-2019, 02:17 PM

Thanks Bruce, that is quite a top indeed. Sounds like you had a good turnout for the meeting whether this be due to your cooking and the offer of free food, or the topic, I don't know.

I thought you were not suppose to be working in the shop these days???
Old 09-09-2019, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Bruce,

That Pernambuco 0 is one seriously beautiful guitar. Surprised that it's still available. Gorgeous back and I bet it sounds phenomenal.

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Only the single 0 will help line my pockets. The work I did on the customer’s Kerala was just my regular ongoing customer service.

Thank you for your ongoing emotional support, Tom, this kind of thing has its challenges for artist types like myself.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Rob; the Pernambuco 0 is not only beautiful, it is a superb little giant killer of a guitar. It did not seem to get the attention I expected it to when I took it to B. I. G. Which continues to surprise me. Let’s see how long it lasts at Schoenberg’s.

Tom: there has been no suggestion that I cannot work right up to my surgery. My work cannot be thought of as aerobic! I have been told not to ride my bicycle. Having put on the varnish a month ago, it is time to complete the guitar while I still can. I put on one string before supper and will hear it tomorrow morning . . . If I live through the night ha ha, as you are wont to say.

It is hard to take a pic of an ebony bridge w/o getting serious about the lighting, which I do not. So I tweaked the contrast and brightness instead:

And here is a better view of the medullary silking:
Old 09-10-2019, 01:13 PM

No problem with the lighting showing off the top, must look spectacular in person.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:27 PM

And if I have not lost track like I did with Doctors orders, that beautiful quartered top is paired with perfectly quartered BRW???
Old 09-10-2019, 05:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
And if I have not lost track like I did with Doctors orders, that beautiful quartered top is paired with perfectly quartered BRW???
Strings are on, pick guard too, and pictures will be made soon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop