The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-17-2015, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
I agree with your point about John Denver's playing.
I also think Jackson Browne accomplishes this well on his Live Solo Acoustic albums.
+1...Loved John Denver, saw him live in '75, inspiring for sure.
Beautiful voice + inspiring writer + lovely guitar playing + connected with folks = true artist... I saw Jackson Browne a few years back playing solo and I'll just ditto my comments...both true artists.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:06 AM

Default John Denver Made it Easy

I saw John Denver about 8 times in concert and my first and last concerts were solo performances. John was not always flashy with his chord progressions. He wasn't like Kenny Loggins and used jazzy chords, but he did use great alternative voicings when he played. His fingerpicking was also melodic and tasteful.

But his real instrument was his voice. That amazing voice improved as he grew older. His playing served the song and allowed his voice to shine.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:56 AM

I regret that I never had the chance to see him perform live. Missed opportunity. But all the comments are great. It further reinforces, for me, that being confident with the talents you have is key.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:43 AM

When I was a kid I saw a few bands like REO Speedwagon, Kansas, and the like. Then one night I went to this concert featuring this guy I'd never heard of. He comes out with a big 12-string guitar and commences to play and sing by himself, and it seemed like nobody in the audience knew whether to laugh or cry. After half an hour or so his band joined him, and they started playing "The Joker", and of course it was Steve Miller.

But I remember thinking, "what cajones this guy has, to come out with just him and a guitar!"

Who needs a band?
Old 03-18-2015, 06:54 AM

Can I add a John Denver story?

Great.

Years ago, on a trip with my buddy Pute, we stopped at a larger hotel in Atlanta where his dad was suppose to be staying on a business trip. I went in to ask the font desk if he was there, because we didn't know exactly what hotel he was at. Pute thought it was that one. On the way out, there was a huge limo that had stopped behind my car. The door was open and there were gorgeous girls everywhere and a TV on inside. I made my way thru the crowd of girls to see what was on tv and who might be in there. I bumped into the real short guy and accidentally knocked him to the ground. It wasn't a hard bump, just the right bump I guess to make it happen. Then everything was swarmed by body guards and people going crazy. I had just accidentally knock John Denver down. He was ok. We talked for a short time and I told him about why I managed to get into the crowd, and he let me go up and look inside and check things out. I've always liked his music and his voice. My wife doesn't so she makes me turn it off every time.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:18 AM

BTW, sorry if I goofed up this thread, I've got the manners of a billy goat. Just made me think of Stevie Miller. Boy, John Denver did have a terrific voice, RIP.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:20 AM

Hope this is not too mushy but, John Denver is one artist I would have loved to see live. I can't remember not having some of his music playing in my home from time to time. His music just seemed to, well strike a chord, for me.
I know no one is perfect and he had his issues (much as the public knew about anyway) but he seemed to come across as a genuinely thoughtful singer/songwriter, with a real gratitude for his musical gifts and a need to express his life's experiences in music.

Like so many others I feel something of a connection with him having sort of clicked with Taylor guitars somewhere along the line, I'm always amazed I got to begin my musical journey with the same guitars JD ended his playing. I hope I can learn to play one or two of his songs with enough confidence to keep his message of peace and respect alive a little longer.

Peace my Friends.

Taylor 514ce (1999)
Taylor Baby-m (1999)
Taylor 814ce (2014 - Finally!)
Old 03-18-2015, 08:24 AM

I find fretboard gymnastics boring, simply because it seems like everyone tries to do it, and most fail to do it proficiently. In my opinion, many people try to play difficult stuff not because they enjoy playing difficult stuff, but because they're trying to impress someone.

I'm rarely impressed by something like guitar playing.

I enjoy fingerpicking when it supports the song. Something like Harry Chapin's "Taxi" is a perfect example, or David Crosby's "Guinnevere".

I'm a strummer myself so, of course, I enjoy that, too.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:30 AM

John Denver is quite possibly the reason why I first picked up a guitar in the early '70s. I enjoyed his music so much, I wanted to learn to strum along with his songs. Later on I dated a girl and we would learn his tunes together. Unfortunately, I didn't stick with it and my John Denver song book hit the circular file years ago. Now I'm back, and relearning a few of his most popular.

Neato fact about John.... Two of his creations have been made official state songs for Colorado and West Virginia.....but I'm sure most are aware.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattzap View Post
Can I add a John Denver story?

Great.

Years ago, on a trip with my buddy Pute, we stopped at a larger hotel in Atlanta where his dad was suppose to be staying on a business trip. I went in to ask the font desk if he was there, because we didn't know exactly what hotel he was at. Pute thought it was that one. On the way out, there was a huge limo that had stopped behind my car. The door was open and there were gorgeous girls everywhere and a TV on inside. I made my way thru the crowd of girls to see what was on tv and who might be in there. I bumped into the real short guy and accidentally knocked him to the ground. It wasn't a hard bump, just the right bump I guess to make it happen. Then everything was swarmed by body guards and people going crazy. I had just accidentally knock John Denver down. He was ok. We talked for a short time and I told him about why I managed to get into the crowd, and he let me go up and look inside and check things out. I've always liked his music and his voice. My wife doesn't so she makes me turn it off every time.
Wow, I bet you are one of the few people who can claim to have knocked John Denver down. Great story.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:24 AM

John Prine's guitar playing is about as simple as it comes, and I could listen to him all day. I respect people who can play with complexity, but it's certainly not always necessary. A great song is a great song.

"May you stay forever young."-Dylan
Old 03-18-2015, 09:34 AM

I'll add my JD stories to the mix here: I saw him 3 times in concert and he was nothing short of amazing, inspiring to not just every guitar player in the audience but to anyone who ever wanted to try and sing like him. I bought my Guild 12-string because of his sound and still play it regularly - can't sing but a few of his tunes where he sang them but I love trying.

One time I was with some friends and saw him right after he wrote Annie's Song. He performed it, telling the crowd that he had not recorded it yet. Several months passed and those friends, who were getting married, asked if I would play 'that new JD song' for their wedding. I asked which song and they said, 'You know, that senses song we heard at the concert...' It was not yet playing on the radio and I heard the song one time, no sheet music was out, and I had no clue by then how the song even sounded. About a week before their wedding I heard it on the radio, ran to the music store and found the sheet music, and for the next week that's the only song I played, probably a hundred times. Played it perfectly for their wedding - no pressure, right?!

I still play his music every week. Sometimes between services at church I'll just turn the volume down and sit and fingerpick one or two of his tunes to the empty auditorium. Nearly every week somebody will walk through while I'm playing and say, 'John Denver, right?'

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 03-18-2015, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Because somewhere along the way, the dialogue and vernacular in the guitar (and music) world started focusing on "technique" and losing focus on "feeling".

I'm not sure what drove this tide-change, and I can't prove it let alone even articulate it but I am convinced that this is a big piece of mankind's devolution.

Not to get too metaphysical/spiritual but I think we see this in all areas of humankind's existence. We focus so much on accomplishment instead of enjoyment. In fact we equate accomplishment with enjoyment: get more stuff, do more stuff. Quantity over quality.

I don't think this is a small thing. I think it's actually how we humans see the world. Just sitting on the back porch with a friend and having a beer in the sunshine is no longer "enough". Instead we have to accomplish and have and do more.

The same thing with music and guitar performances. I just read another thread where Roger Miller's Robin Hood and Little John was described as being such a cherished piece (and I like it) but it would never even get a scoffing glance from anyone in the industry today - its not technical enough, its not good enough, its not musical enough, its not enough.

John Denver had a simplistic way of being talented and joyous.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 03-18-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
I'll add my JD stories to the mix here: I saw him 3 times in concert and he was nothing short of amazing, inspiring to not just every guitar player in the audience but to anyone who ever wanted to try and sing like him. I bought my Guild 12-string because of his sound and still play it regularly - can't sing but a few of his tunes where he sang them but I love trying.

One time I was with some friends and saw him right after he wrote Annie's Song. He performed it, telling the crowd that he had not recorded it yet. Several months passed and those friends, who were getting married, asked if I would play 'that new JD song' for their wedding. I asked which song and they said, 'You know, that senses song we heard at the concert...' It was not yet playing on the radio and I heard the song one time, no sheet music was out, and I had no clue by then how the song even sounded. About a week before their wedding I heard it on the radio, ran to the music store and found the sheet music, and for the next week that's the only song I played, probably a hundred times. Played it perfectly for their wedding - no pressure, right?!

I still play his music every week. Sometimes between services at church I'll just turn the volume down and sit and fingerpick one or two of his tunes to the empty auditorium. Nearly every week somebody will walk through while I'm playing and say, 'John Denver, right?'
Wonderful story to share. I sang that song for my cousin's wedding. I didn't have a 12 string at the time.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Because somewhere along the way, the dialogue and vernacular in the guitar (and music) world started focusing on "technique" and losing focus on "feeling".

I'm not sure what drove this tide-change, and I can't prove it let alone even articulate it but I am convinced that this is a big piece of mankind's devolution.

Not to get too metaphysical/spiritual but I think we see this in all areas of humankind's existence. We focus so much on accomplishment instead of enjoyment. In fact we equate accomplishment with enjoyment: get more stuff, do more stuff. Quantity over quality.

I don't think this is a small thing. I think it's actually how we humans see the world. Just sitting on the back porch with a friend and having a beer in the sunshine is no longer "enough". Instead we have to accomplish and have and do more.

The same thing with music and guitar performances. I just read another thread where Roger Miller's Robin Hood and Little John was described as being such a cherished piece (and I like it) but it would never even get a scoffing glance from anyone in the industry today - its not technical enough, its not good enough, its not musical enough, its not enough.

John Denver had a simplistic way of being talented and joyous.
Wow! I couldn't agree with you more. The only point I disagree with is your inability to articulate it. I think you did quite well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic