The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-23-2013, 03:36 PM

I just played an old 1935 Triolian and new National Black Rust Duolian. National seems to be making them thinner, less heavy and there was nothing special or legendary in tone to it IMHO. I would think if it was a National and tone was involved you'd want an older model.

I liked the gretsch woods roots models for spidercones and found them flexible from open spanish and vestapol, didn't try them in standard though

Another option I am thinking about would be Michael Messer's new wood body its a biscuit, "MM BLUES '28 wood bodied National-style resonator guitar. Based on a 1928 National Triolian" and a sample of it is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=VaqAu0X_AFg

Last edited by slide496; 09-23-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:29 PM

************************************************** *********************************

Last edited by Neal; 09-25-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Quinn View Post
Hey, I figured this might be the better place to post... I consider resonators to be an "Acoustic Guitar" but they definitely have their own sound/uses.

I'm thinking about getting a resonator. I've played several in passing, haven't really had time to sit with one for a good long period. I also really want a baritone and I'm considering ordering direct from National Resophonic, so getting a stab at playing instruments in the store and leaving with the best one is a little less applicable to my situation. I have, however, figured out a few things taste-wise for myself.

Now, I don't play slide. That's not to say I won't learn, but it's not really my main interest here. I've been really digging the resonator sound for finger picking. The difficulty I'm having is that having tried several Biscuit-Bridge and Spider-Cone designs, I'm really torn... I like them both for very different reasons. They have a totally different sound from one another. Keeping in mind that this instrument isn't intended for slide, I would like to hear from resonator owners which design they believe to be more versatile/well suited for this kind of playing. What I play is blues-influenced, but it isn't exactly blues. There's a good deal of country-style picking too, as well as some softer folky stuff.

The spidercone guitars have a lot more sustain, and sound good chorded. They have a much more brilliant sound, but they tend to have a nasally twanginess that I like one moment and the next it gets on my nerves. The biscuit resos have a plunky, banjo-ish quality that I find very appealing and the quick decay would be good for blues picking and ragtimey stuff... but they don't have a ton of sustain by comparison, and I worry that I may run out of uses for one considering I also like big bluegrass chords in my music. I really like both, but can't afford two (can't even really afford one right now; still in the preliminary stages). Just fishing around for opinions. Obviously I'm going to make the choice for myself in the end, but it can't hurt to get some perspective from some more experienced pickers/sliders.

Whaddaya think?
Might I suggest that you are capable of mis-judging the true capabilities of biscuit Vs spider cones unless you compare the best - because it is all about the quality of the cone iteslf, and the body material.

National Reso makes the best possible biscuit design, but the same cone will sound different in a wooden body (Estralita , Trovador, M2) and a steel body (Delphi) , or a bell brass body (Style "o").

The best spider cones are now made by Beard who also make the best "Dobro" style instruments. (Quarterman are also god but not sure if still available). Body size, design and woods vary the sounds.

"Dobro" is now made by Gibson and are not good instruments (I have a '99 Style 27 Deluxe and had to have it rerouted (to correct the common 1/4" intonation faults, and replaced the cone and spider with Beard parts to make it sound good - which it does now.

Common assumptions are that National style instruments are best for round neck guitars, and Beard for square necks - although both do both.

And then there are the National tricone options !!!

Hope this helps,
Old 09-27-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
The best spider cones are now made by Beard who also make the best "Dobro" style instruments. (Quarterman are also god but not sure if still available). Body size, design and woods vary the sounds.
Well, the Boys at National now offer the Smith and Young spider cones. They started at OMI-Dobro in the 1980's. They always had the Western D, but now they the model 1 (steel) and the model 11 (wood) Prices are pretty good too at $2,100 and $2,300.

It's a worthy competitor if the specs meet your needs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dcvTFGqlw0
Old 09-27-2013, 11:43 AM

Well, I had a National M2 (wood body, biscuit bridge), a National Style 1 Tricone, and a Goldtone Paul Beard deluxe Spider bridge - all at the same time. All very nice guitars...
For my tastes, I ended up keeping the Tricone and selling the others.

So how are the Gretsch resonators? I took a look at the Gretsch G9240 Alligator, the Gretsch G9220 Roundneck Bobtail and the Gretsch G9200 Roundneck Boxcar. The Bobtail looks like it has a pickup installed, which I'm not a big fan of. Do they all have laminated mahogany tops?
Old 09-27-2013, 12:31 PM

I played the Gretsch G9200 Roundneck Boxcar- I liked it but I got a better sound out of it in spanish than vestapol. Don't know much about the laminated top and that sort of thing, probably says on their site. Its light.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:53 AM

The Smith & Young Model II roundneck is a very sweet sounding spider cone 12 fret. I wish I had a sound clip for you. Everyone who's into resos who has heard my S&Y love it, some of them think it sounds like a tricone.

Here's a sample of my biscuit cone National NRP 12 fret steel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCGAHxWjYUg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments