The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Default Pass it on or pay it forward

Two weeks ago, drove through a DD and had a $7.60 order for my niece. Drove up to the pick-up window and held out a twenty but the lady told me that the car ahead had paid for my order and that 12 other cars had done the same.

Sorry....I don't play that game. There are too many new, expensive cars in line at the drive thru for me to worry if they can afford their donuts and coffee. Told the lady, my bill is $7.60, don't care if the car ahead paid, take 7.60 out of this bill and give me my change. Don't care what you do with the money and tell anyone else that wants to play pass it on that there are many food kitchens in the city that can use the money instead of buying people donuts.

The women looked at me like I was nuts, my 16 yr old niece tried to crawl under the seat (think I embarrassed her) but my 70 yr old self drove away happy.

john
Old 01-21-2022, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Well you ARE nuts. But you're happy and that trumps nuts.

Cheers

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 01-21-2022, 06:30 PM

I’m kinda speechless.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:16 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
I’m kinda speechless.
Yeah - now get off my lawn!!!

Old 01-21-2022, 07:33 PM

Well, I’ll just GLADLY keep on paying it forward. Kindness and generosity are lacking, in a big way, In our society right now and I WON’T contribute to that!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 01-21-2022, 07:35 PM
Guest 33123

Yeah what is it about people these days and their kind gestures and benevolence?! The world certainly doesn't need more of that! Talk about nerve!
Old 01-21-2022, 07:44 PM

Default What?

A donut drive thru?........
Old 01-21-2022, 07:53 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
A donut drive thru?........
Old 01-21-2022, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnidoh View Post

Sorry....I don't play that game..l Don't care what you do with the money and tell anyone else that wants to play pass it on that there are many food kitchens in the city that can use the money instead of buying people donuts.
The women looked at me like I was nuts, my 16 yr old niece tried to crawl under the seat (think I embarrassed her) but my 70 yr old self drove away happy.
john

In the world we are living in right now, this post is wrong on so many levels.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:56 PM

I've heard it said that it's easier to be kind to your friends than to your enemies, but the rewards of the latter exceed the former. Treat others to donuts as you wish to be treated is now the confectionary corollary to the golden rule, I suppose.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 01-21-2022, 07:58 PM

Mmm, I just fancy a donut.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnidoh View Post
Two weeks ago, drove through a DD and had a $7.60 order for my niece. Drove up to the pick-up window and held out a twenty but the lady told me that the car ahead had paid for my order and that 12 other cars had done the same.

Sorry....I don't play that game. There are too many new, expensive cars in line at the drive thru for me to worry if they can afford their donuts and coffee. Told the lady, my bill is $7.60, don't care if the car ahead paid, take 7.60 out of this bill and give me my change. Don't care what you do with the money and tell anyone else that wants to play pass it on that there are many food kitchens in the city that can use the money instead of buying people donuts.

john
How many of those soup kitchens do you donate to?
2014 Epiphone Les Paul Junior - sold
Old 01-21-2022, 08:42 PM

If OP had participated, it doesn't add any more generosity or kindness to the world. No matter how many cars participate, only the first person gives a gift and only the last receives it. Everyone in the middle are just fooling themselves that they done some great kindness.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
If OP had participated, it doesn't add any more generosity or kindness to the world. No matter how many cars participate, only the first person gives a gift and only the last receives it. Everyone in the middle are just fooling themselves that they done some great kindness.

Maybe, money-wise. BUT, the action is bigger! What if your order was $6 and you paid $35 for the one behind you. If 12 in a row are doing it, I can see it not meaning much, but if you pull up to the window and pay for the 2 behind you and they’re the only ones in line, who knows the impact you may make on someone. It seems so many people are angry, all the time and too many don’t take the time to look out for the ones around them. I’ve worked in Law Enforcement the last 28 years and have spent the last 17 as an SRO. I’ve witnessed, first-hand, the change in people and in kids and it’s disappointing!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2

Last edited by TomB'sox; 01-21-2022 at 09:46 PM. Reason: We don't do politics on the AGF
Old 01-21-2022, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
Maybe, money-wise. BUT, the action is bigger! What if your order was $6 and you paid $35 for the one behind you. If 12 in a row are doing it, I can see it not meaning much, but if you pull up to the window and pay for the 2 behind you and they’re the only ones in line, who knows the impact you may make on someone. It seems so many people are angry, all the time and too many don’t take the time to look out for the ones around them. I’ve worked in Law Enforcement the last 28 years and have spent the last 17 as an SRO. I’ve witnessed, first-hand, the change in people and in kids and it’s disappointing!
Maybe you're right and maybe it makes people feel good but I also don't think breaking the chain at a drive-thru is leading to the downfall of America. My point is not that people shouldn't participate, I've done it too., It's just that I don't think anyone should feel bad if they choose to be charitable and friendly in other ways. That's all.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 01-21-2022 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Removing quote
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic