The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-24-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
But in a game like last nights, presumably both teams score a touchdown on their one possession and then the next possession still comes down to the initial coin flip, no? There's just no wonderful way to do this. People suggest playing a full extra quarter (which no players want - see "defenses gassed", above), but if it's tied at the end of that, we're right back in the same place.

Interestingly, the one person I've seen quoted this morning who has no problem with the current format is Josh Allen. He said, essentially, 'hey, if we'd won the coin flip and won the game because of it, we'd sure be celebrating'.

My solution is to cancel the last three games of the season and make KC and Buffalo co-champions - last night did not establish a better team, just a game winner. But I know fans from KC, Cincy and California wouldn't buy off on that and there's more revenue to be had yet, so I'd say my idea doesn't have a very good chance of being adopted. To say the least...

-Ray
If both D's are gassed, one D has to tough it out and make a play to win the game then. But, both teams should get at least one possession.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 01-24-2022, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

I’ve disliked the current rule since it’s inception primarily because it’s just stupid. Why is a TD by the receiving team a “magic bullet” when a FG isn’t? It’s like some kind of hybrid sudden death.
But after last night I just Hate, Hate, Hate it because, especially in the playoffs, it puts to much in the hands of dumb luck.
Old 01-24-2022, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john57classic View Post
I’ve disliked the current rule since it’s inception primarily because it’s just stupid. Why is a TD by the receiving team a “magic bullet” when a FG isn’t? It’s like some kind of hybrid sudden death.
But after last night I just Hate, Hate, Hate it because, especially in the playoffs, it puts to much in the hands of dumb luck.

Because you only need to get to the middle of the field to have a shot at a field goal. Getting to the end zone is much harder. With a field goal win-all, the team that wins the toss would have an immense chance of winning.

The OT rules are made so the game ends as fast as possible. I don’t think any more or less luck is needed during overtime than in regulation.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Because you only need to get to the middle of the field to have a shot at a field goal. Getting to the end zone is much harder. With a field goal win-all, the team that wins the toss would have an immense chance of winning.

The OT rules are made so the game ends as fast as possible. I don’t think any more or less luck is needed during overtime than in regulation.
Yes, but in regulation, one team kicks off at the beginning of the first half and the other team kicks off in the second half. That negates the "luck" of winning the toss. It's not like that in OT.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 01-26-2022, 02:25 PM

Regarding OT Rules... interesting stat. Aaron Rodgers has lost 4 overtime playoff games and in 3 of those games he never saw the football.

Putting aside that a team has 60 minutes to try to win a game rather than go to OT, a coin flip isn't the way to determine whether only 1 team gets a possession.
Old 01-28-2022, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Default Is There No Football This Weekend?

While I appreciate that neither Tom Brady nor the New England Patriots are involved, is there not football this weekend? GO NINERS!!!!!
Old 01-28-2022, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Both championships are Sunday, 3:30 and 6:30 EST.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:14 PM

Gary, are you implying that the AGF has a lot of Brady and Patriots fans as well as lots of detractors which initiates a lot of discussion?

Tough week-end for me but I'm rooting for the Bengals.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

I'm really enjoying not having Brady or Belicheck or Rodgers in this final big weekend. Mahomes and Burrow are still young guns, Jimmy G and Stafford aren't but are rarities in the late stages of the playoffs. Jimmy G is probably the least of the remaining QBs, but his team might be strong enough to win it without superstar QB play, and he's definitely good enough to manage that offense.

There isn't a team left in it I'd be bummed to see win it. The Chiefs already have one, but I think Mahomes is so great and so much fun to watch I'd be happy to see he and Andy win a couple or few more during this Mahomes era. But ANY of these teams that win will be a feel-good story. I'll probably find myself rooting for one team or another, but I don't think I'll be really pulling AGAINST anyone of these four. I'm looking forward to a couple of good games. I don't expect ANY game to come close to the freaking perfection of that KC / Buffalo game from last Sunday night though. That was the game of the season, maybe the decade, maybe longer...

-Ray
Old 01-28-2022, 05:09 PM

Default Is There No Football This Weekend?

It all happened last week-end The leftovers are still good
Old 01-28-2022, 05:42 PM

Well for me I couldn’t be happier that there is a potential for some new blood to take the Lombardi trophy home this time.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:56 PM

While I am unabashedly pulling for the 49ers, the reality is that I think that both games are actually too close to call. Burrows and co. are the real deal, and KC and Mahomes, well...

According to ESPN, 49er faithful may outnumber Rams fans in the Rams home stadium 65/35. They certainly did for the season closing game.
Old 01-29-2022, 01:10 AM

We don't know what will happen on Sunday. I feel like a Rams/Chiefs ending is in the cards. That could be an absolute shoot-out. You never know this season what may come down.
Old 01-29-2022, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Bengals @ Chiefs and 49ers @ Rams. A midwestern AFC and a west coast NFC. Ought to be fun! I just want to see two good games, but I think I'll take the Chiefs and the 49ers.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I'm really enjoying not having Brady or Belicheck or Rodgers in this final big weekend. Mahomes and Burrow are still young guns, Jimmy G and Stafford aren't but are rarities in the late stages of the playoffs. Jimmy G is probably the least of the remaining QBs, but his team might be strong enough to win it without superstar QB play, and he's definitely good enough to manage that offense.

-Ray
Yep similar teams have won the big one with a "game manager". Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson are 2 that come to mind.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic