The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-03-2022, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarsWeB View Post
I'm pretty sure the Yairi CY series all had laminated B/S, but not 100% sure.

Nothing wrong with laminated sides and back. The Hirade Md5 and 8 we mentioned all had laminated sides. Many will disagree, but I drilled many sound ports in both...they are laminated.

Agreed- there's nothing wrong *at all* with laminated back and sides. I mentioned it because of the mention of the Yairi CY90 listing- hopefully
for accuracy's sake.
Old 01-03-2022, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

I had a suspicion on the cy90. It’s probably laminate but that’s fine.

I’ve also seen La Patrie by Godin. Anyone tried those?
Old 01-04-2022, 01:38 PM

If you are looking for an easy to play "Classical" with a narrower headstock nut width... You might want to look into the Cordoba C-10 Parlor. It usually sells for less the $1200 US and comes with a nicely padded gig bag.

I purchased one in early 2020 because of issues I was having with my fretting hand at the time. The other nice thing about it is that has a shorter scale length (630mm) compared to the typical 650mm that most "Classical" guitars are made to.

It is "SOLID" Rosewood back and sides, has a "SOLID" Cedar top, or you can get a spruce top. The fingerboard is made of Ebony and the neck is Mahogany... (see link for total specs)

https://www.cordobaguitars.com/guitars/c10-parlor/

I own a traditional "Spanish" made full scale classical which I love, but when I experience issues with my left hand I can switch over to my Cordoba Parlor and play and practice...

Don't let the fact that it's manufactured in China stop you from considering it.. It's not a "conveyor belt", "assembly line" instrument. It is a finely built guitar and has a pleasant sound.

I am sure that the other makes and models that were mentioned here are also nice too. The important thing is getting what fits your needs.

As for a vintage Martin, I owned 0028c years ago that was nice, all solid wood and it played nicely. I wish I had it today... Picked mine up in a pawn shop for $300 with hard-shell, sold it two years later for twice what I paid for it... Today that vintage mint Martin is going for over 3-grand...

Anyway, I would suggest looking in shops in your area for different makes, pull them off the wall and play them.. if one of them feels comfortable and sounds great... adopt it and give it a loving home
Old 01-05-2022, 04:51 PM

I got my Cordoba 45 Espana nearly new for $800. I absolutely love it.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:11 AM

I paid $700 for my Teton. It’s my first classical guitar so I really can’t compare it with anything else but I’m really impressed with the quality and sound.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff_the_stiff View Post
I loved my Alvarez-Yairi CY-116. I regret selling it.
I have this guitar also. Bought it new in 1986 with a case for $479.

Great guitar, still going strong!

Rick
Old 02-06-2022, 07:39 PM

I have two older Yairis, a CY140 and the CY116. Both have a 660 scale but I don't notice it actually. Lots of good choices for under 1000$ and old Japanese classicals are among them.

Last edited by offkey; 02-07-2022 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Quote deleted.
Old 02-10-2022, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

I'll be honest, I played a used Cordoba C5CE at guitar center and was really impressed, especially for the price. Would have taken it home but they have some lame pawn shop law, 30 days blah blah blah.

It wasn't the best classical in the room but I really like the narrow neck and the sound was warm (solid cedar). Might have to order one now .
Old 02-12-2022, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
I'll be honest, I played a used Cordoba C5CE at guitar center and was really impressed, especially for the price. Would have taken it home but they have some lame pawn shop law, 30 days blah blah blah.

It wasn't the best classical in the room but I really like the narrow neck and the sound was warm (solid cedar). Might have to order one now .

Hey Rolly... kind of courious about GC's "pawn shop law". Was it on display for sale? or just on display? I never knew that GC was a pawn broker shop.
Old 02-12-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey View Post
Agreed- there's nothing wrong *at all* with laminated back and sides. I mentioned it because of the mention of the Yairi CY90 listing- hopefully
for accuracy's sake.
My CY-116 is laminated with just as beautiful burled mahogany on the inside as on the outside. That is a true sign of quality laminate.
Old 02-15-2022, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
Hey Rolly... kind of courious about GC's "pawn shop law". Was it on display for sale? or just on display? I never knew that GC was a pawn broker shop.
It’s a 30 day period where they cannot sell a guitar that’s brought in. I guess to give the cops time to track down used $80 Recording Kings.
Old 03-08-2022, 06:52 PM

Default Which 70s guitars available at under $450 are OK?

I had one long ago, bought new, cannot remember what, but it was a beginner to intermediate level guitar. Maybe a Yamaha, or Arai, Alvarez, or other.

So now I'm looking, and see a remarkable number of 50 year old guitars in unbelievably good condition, in the $300 to $450 range.

Do any makes and models stand out, in this class?

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical