The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-28-2021, 03:19 PM

Default How many of you use a dread for fingerstyle?

I’m curious because I don’t have a dread in my herd and sometimes I think I might like something with a bigger sound. For those of you who play fingerstyle on a dreadnought, what do you play and what are the pros and cons? Thanks-Pete.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

I do all the time. I personally think the dreadnought shape is one of the best for all styles of music period. Just depends on voicing, scale length and woods after that.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 07-28-2021, 03:32 PM

I do not, but if they were good enough for Fahey, then...

Old 07-28-2021, 03:34 PM

I play fingerstyle on my Breedlove Concerto all the time. Body is a small jumbo shape with 16" lower bout, depth is 4" at heel, 5" at tail, so it's basically dreadnought size. The deep bass notes and high volume are nice. Great sound.

The 1.75" nut, 2.25" string spacing makes it easy for fingerstyle. A lot of dreads have narrower spacing that most probably don't want for fingerstyle, but it's a matter of personal preference. Regarding scale length, sometimes I tune down a step or two and use a capo for a warmer tone with lower string tension. Wish they made a version with a 24.75" or 25" scale though, as I find that more enjoyable for fingerstyle, personally, than the 25.5" full scale.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
I do all the time. I personally think the dreadnought shape is one of the best for all styles of music period. Just depends on voicing, scale length and woods after that.
Certainly makes sense to me.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:45 PM

I learned and honed my fingerstyle skills on dreads. They work just fine for fingerstyle.
Martin OM-28V
Old 07-28-2021, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Mainly played a dread in the past but years ago switched over to some other shaped guitars which to my ears have better articulation and balance for
playing most fingerstyle pieces.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-28-2021, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

….not exclusively but nearly 50 percent of the time I ditch the flatpick on my Santa Cruz Tony Rice standard…it’s a Dreadnought that’s well suited to it….when I want to add some depth to the tone on my fingerstyle playing…especially in open and drop tunings it’s the bees knees…..kinda like a bigger sounding OM….

…conversely…I use flatpicks on my smaller bodied guitars…but only about 20 percent of the time….

….I tend to play the smaller ones when I play jazz blues and old school classic country…(Hank or earlier)….thats most of the time for me….when I play either bluegrass or the music I grew up with from 60’s and 70’s…(much of which is finger-picked)....i like a dread or jumbo to hit the sweet spot….
Old 07-28-2021, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

I do.

Only in recent years did I learn from the forums that there were “fingerstyle guitars.” I even bought one out of curiosity. I didn’t get it, dreads work just fine.
Charter Member

I finger pick all my guitars...11 dreads, 1 OM. I especially like my 12 fret herringbone D-28 for that style.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
….not exclusively but nearly 50 percent of the time I ditch the flatpick on my Santa Cruz Tony Rice standard…it’s a Dreadnought that’s well suited to it….when I want to add some depth to the tone on my fingerstyle playing…especially in open and drop tunings it’s the bees knees…..kinda like a bigger sounding OM….

…conversely…I use flatpicks on my smaller bodied guitars…but only about 20 percent of the time….

….I tend to play the smaller ones when I play jazz blues and old school classic country…(Hank or earlier)….thats most of the time for me….when I play either bluegrass or the music I grew up with from 60’s and 70’s…(much of which is finger-picked)....i like a dread or jumbo to hit the sweet spot….
I play exclusively in open/drop tunings, so it sounds like the dread may be the sound that I’ve been looking for. Appreciate your reply!
Old 07-28-2021, 04:26 PM

Never even thought of using a dread until I recently picked up a Taylor 717 Grand Pacific on a whim. Totally surprised me how great it works for fingerstyle. I’ve been playing and recording with it the past couple months and very pleased. Wish it had wider string spacing, but I can work with it.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:32 PM

I fingerpick all my guitars, including my dread.

I prefer the sound and feel of a small jumbo or jumbo to my dread when fingerpicking. OM’s and 000’s also offer sonic and ergonomic advantages to a dread.

An 00 is the smallest i own, and i use it almost exclusively for fingerpicking…but I am selective about what i play in it.

All that being said,a dread sounds fine when fingerpicking…just a different tonal profile than the others. But my dread is mostly for jamming with other instruments, especially larger jams.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Generally the smallest guitar I play is my Larrivee OM and I don't play it as much as my others. Once in a blue moon I'll take out my Seagull folk and even less my Alvarez 00. I prefer my larger bodied guitars.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-28-2021, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I've never understood the idea of not using a dread for finger style. I don't because they're not comfortable for me. But hey, Mary Chapin Carpenter uses a jumbo.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion