The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-23-2022, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Default “New” Rainsong APSE

Earlier this afternoon, UPS delivered the Rainsong APSE I purchased from RP last week. First off, dealing with Randy was a pleasure. He was both courteous and professional throughout the course of the transaction and the guitar was exactly how he represented it.

I sold my X-20 to make way for the Rainsong. The Emerald was/is a wonderful guitar and I very much enjoyed my time with it. But, as the years roll on I’m finding that shorter scale, 12 fret guitars are much more comfortable to play, hence the transition from the X-20 to the APSE.

First impression of the APSE is that it lives up to its reputation. Impeccably finished, very easy to play and sounds excellent. Not better sounding than the X-20, just different. Not as robust but a bit more nuanced, I think. The Emerald has a bit more headroom when pushed hard. The reduced string tension on the APSE makes it a joy to play, especially finger style.

I have a Brazilian/Cedar 000-28c by John Kinnaird. It’s about the same size as the APSE. Does the Rainsong sound as good? Well, not to my ear. No surprise. The Kinnaird has more “liveliness” and resonance whereas the APSE sounds somewhat compressed in comparison. But, that was expected.

Pros: So effortless to play. I really like the neck profile. It fills the hand nicely and has a slightly flattened profile which I like. It sounds very good, much like a fine wood guitar, but that’s my opinion, of course. And, perhaps the best part, I can leave it downstairs in the living room on the Solid Ground floor stand without worrying about the effect of humidity on it during the winter months.

Cons: Very minor. The guitar has a slight odor, sort of a sweet chemical smell. Something from the manufacturing process? Perhaps it’s from the fabric in the case. Hopefully, it will fade in time. The only other thing is a slight noise due to my playing style. I anchor my pinky on the top when I play finger style. The slightest movement produces a cross between a squeak and a rumble as my finger slightly moves against the top. I think the satin finish and the CF construction is responsible. Otherwise, the guitar is near perfect.

Last edited by K20C; 11-26-2022 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-23-2022, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

I'm glad you're happy with your new Rainsong, Gary....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-24-2022, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Congrats, that’s a gorgeous guitar! I think it is similar to my SGA-FLE limited edition Shorty which I upgraded with 21:1 Gotohs. It’s just about my perfect fingerstyle guitar. Enjoy!

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
A few electrics, a bunch of basses
Wandering the continent - CA > IL > NH > TX (for good, hopefully)
Old 11-24-2022, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
Congrats, that’s a gorgeous guitar! I think it is similar to my SGA-FLE limited edition Shorty which I upgraded with 21:1 Gotohs. It’s just about my perfect fingerstyle guitar. Enjoy!
Thanks HeavyDuty. It is a very nice guitar. The tuners on it are the best I’ve ever experienced.
Old 11-24-2022, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on your APSE, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 11-24-2022, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Congrats on your APSE, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine.
Thank you, SprintBob. So far, so good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber