The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-10-2022, 09:41 AM

Default The durability of carbon fiber

I threw my Composite Acoustics GX in the back of the car after playing out.... and forgot to take it out when I got home.

For a week.

While I played my other guitars indoors in climate controlled comfort, there it sat, in temperatures swinging from sub-freezing up to 21C, and probably warmer in the car with the sun beating in, no humidity control and RH values sometimes in the teens, neglected.

When I finally realized, I thanked my stars it was my CF guitar and not a wooden one that I'd forgotten. I brought it in, opened the case, and took out the guitar. Other than being cold to the touch, it was fine. In fact, it was even still in tune! Mark one in the win column for carbon fiber construction.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Yes indeed. I worry much less about temp/humidity when traveling with my CF Journey.
Old 11-10-2022, 03:34 PM

I left my rain song in the bed of my truck in the middle of July in Pennsylvania. When I took it out of the case it was so hot I couldn't even hold it.

Let it cool off, and it's been fine ever since.

Last edited by DethWshBkr; 11-10-2022 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-10-2022, 04:48 PM

The main thing that drew me to CF acoustic guitars (I have a CA OX raw and an Emerald X-20) was the durability. I live in the greater Boston area where temps and humidity swing are constant. To be able to have my acoustics not in a case and hanging on stands all year round ready to be played at an instant is AWESOME. Oh, and they're ALWAYS in tune!

I also have a mid-90s Martin OM28v. Poor thing just stays in its case. And is in need of a neck reset and has a lifting bridge I have to get fixed...because it's wood and I live in Massachusetts. Which reminds me, I need to go humidify it. And then put it back in its case. Before spending $800 in maintenance on it that I'll never have to do with my CF guitars. Bah.

-T
Old 11-10-2022, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Love the way CF laughs at temperature and humidity fluctuations. But they do still show wear. My Black Ice RainSong dread has become my main gigging guitar and we are gigging like crazy. So noticing fret wear and buckle/button 'rash' on the back. I really wish all CF guitars came with gold EVO frets. In fact, I think all guitars should!
Old 11-11-2022, 03:22 AM

Especially when the humidity rise up like crazy here, carbon fiber guitar is so worry-free.

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 11-11-2022, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

I was first attracted to Rainsongs twenty plus years ago, but the durability was what pushed me over the top into replacing my wood instruments - I was always fighting humidity issues. And now, I’m adding a third.

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
A few electrics, a bunch of basses
Wandering the continent - CA > IL > NH > TX (for good, hopefully)
Old 11-11-2022, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

I love my two wood Martins, but I also have a McPherson Sable and will probably be buying another one in the coming months. It's the first carbon fiber guitar that sounds as good to me as my wood guitars - not the SAME as my wood guitars, but as good in it's own way, and I can leave it out in horribly humid or dry conditions, can toss it in the trunk of a car with no worries, and can leave behind when I'm traveling without a concern in the world. I have one for our time on the east coast, between our place in the Philly area, and the winters we've been spending down on the North Carolina coast. But we also spend a good amount of time in Oregon visiting our older daughter and I want to have a guitar out there that I really enjoy playing and that I don't have to give a thought to for the many months we're NOT there. And we may move out there at some point, at which point my two Sables (to be) will swap roles and won't care a bit. For the last couple of years, I've made do with a cheap Alvarez that's handled my neglect pretty well. It's not a bad guitar, but I've gotten too spoiled by really fine sounding guitars to really enjoy playing that one much. So by the time we're next in Oregon, there will be another Sable out there that I'll leave there at my daughter's place for every future trip and/or relocation.

-Ray
Old 11-11-2022, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
So by the time we're next in Oregon, there will be another Sable out there that I'll leave there at my daughter's place for every future trip and/or relocation.
-Ray
My how fast we change ! (I'm no different) LOL Hey Ray, would you mind posting your daughters address, just in case we are passing thru? Of course I'm kidding and I'm tickled you like the Sable that much. Congrats!
Old 11-13-2022, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

It's great just not worrying about temperature or humidity etc! My Martins, taylor, Larrivee, and other wooden guitars always had issues even though I kept them in their cases when not playing them and made sure they were humidified. With the carbon fiber instruments I've owned, no issues at all!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber