The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-20-2022, 12:59 PM

Default The slap has become so overused

Below is an example of what I’m talking about. Every player seems to have to have the rhythmic slap of the strings it just drives me nuts!https://youtu.be/oGeOFAfazY0
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 01-20-2022, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

I'm sorry it drives you nuts. I think that song grooves. When I read your thread title I was expecting something with more harmonics slaps and body percussion à la Andy McKee, Trace Bundy, or Mike Dawes. While I suppose what we see here is technically a "slap," it's really more of a thumb strike on the low E simultaneous to an index finger brush strum.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Forget the slap, put a Sable in your stable ... today!

That kind of regular recurring "snick" sound reminds me too much of a scratch on an old vinyl album. That was one of the more welcome things about going digital - the lack of that SNICK ruining an otherwise enjoyable music listening experience. I suppose people missed it enough to bring it back in the digital age. Since vinyl seems to have made a comeback, maybe folks won't feel the need to imitate that sound effect in their playing anymore.

Tony
Old 01-20-2022, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Below is an example of what I’m talking about. Every player seems to have to have the rhythmic slap of the strings it just drives me nuts!https://youtu.be/oGeOFAfazY0
Hi double neck
You need more diverse listening habits.

If a player is frequently using a technique, and can find an audience who appreciates their playing that way, who am I to call that overuse.

And if there are players overusing slap/tap and being amateur and acrobatic about it, they will either catch on and amend their style, or not be invited to play as often.

I was listening to a bluegrass jam the other night, and the only slaps were on the upright bass.

And I listened to Muriel Anderson's weekly live stream and haven't heard any slaps there either. I don't recall Al Petteway, Carl Miner, Chet Atkins, Ed Gerhard, Pat Donohue, or Ben Wilborn.

And the highly skilled guitarists I've heard slapping some for decades (Phil Keaggy for instance) use it sparingly and tastefully.

You sure don't have to listen to people play (unless you are at a concert and they are playing in a way distasteful to you, but you decide to endure out of politeness).

You talk about tappers/slappers the way my Dad thought of folk-singers, and I thought about Heavy Metal bands. Dad quit listening to folk singers, and I don't listen to Heavy Metal (and have friends who play heavy metal guitar).

They tell my my guitar sounds 'nice' and I tell them their music has a ton of energy!!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-20-2022, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

I agree and posted similar thoughts - I think it is a very nice flavoring to spice up a song.....but too much seasoning tastes awful

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 01-20-2022, 05:37 PM

Definitely something that needs to be used tastefully. That guy used it to nice effect there I thought, but I don't incorporate into my playing.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

I see what you mean, but its beautiful playing, and thats his perogie!
I personally prefer a stompbox for a nice organic beat.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 01-20-2022, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Do we really need to smack the guitar or the strings or a stompbox to provide a beat?

When we speak, walk, most any body movements, we are expressing a rhythm. Without that rhythm, there is (in a sense) chaos. When somebody asks your phone number, there is a rhythm to reciting it, just as when we were learning multiplication tables when we were kids. Without that speech cadence, that phone number wont' make any sense.

Listen to any GOOD solo fingerstyle player for example who doesn't slap, and you will hear this same sort of cadence that gives structure and forward motion to the music.

We don't need all that pounding and slapping to give the music structure and forward motion.

There are definitely are people who like that sort of thing and for them, a performer would have to include it to reach that crowd. For those (such as myself) who don't like all that pounding, the performer would do well to leave it out to reach that crowd.

Fortunately, there are (and always have been) performers of all types to reach people of all types. The key is to listen to music that pleases and entertains you, and leave the rest to entertain other people.

Tony
Old 01-21-2022, 03:01 PM

The technique doesn’t really impress me. Looks like a one truck pony kind of thing.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:41 PM

Must admit what I find most tiring is the endless judgement of other players technique. If there's a drummer in the band, the player doesn't need to emphasize the "chick", but for a song like the player in question is performing solo, I think it sounds just fine.

When my kids were growing up and slamming the music that wasn't their favourite at the time, I taught them to use the phrase, "I guess I'm not the intended audience". Maybe some of you might try that occasionally.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 01-22-2022, 08:45 AM

Default The slap has become so overused

Post deleted..

Last edited by Pnewsom; 01-22-2022 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-22-2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingboy68 View Post
Must admit what I find most tiring is the endless judgement of other players technique. If there's a drummer in the band, the player doesn't need to emphasize the "chick", but for a song like the player in question is performing solo, I think it sounds just fine.

When my kids were growing up and slamming the music that wasn't their favourite at the time, I taught them to use the phrase, "I guess I'm not the intended audience". Maybe some of you might try that occasionally.
Well said!
Old 01-22-2022, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Hi all…

The other day I was walking at the gym and listening to YouTube and the third time I repeated this 'song' I liked (on purpose), I realized I was listening to a 32 yr old kid playing with Tommy Emmanuel.

It was a music fest of tapping, chiming, looping and amazing musicality on the part of Mike Dawes balanced with Tommy Emmanuel's steady more conventional playing. And about ½ way through the second time I thought "I bet Mike D is one of those who people think is a bit musically hyper-active."

Song Was "Somebody That I Used To Know"

I hope this kind of talent and collaboration continues to develop and be pushed forward.

Tommy E's playing has not only inspired us for a couple decades now, but has caused many players to up their techniques and performances. He's faced a lot of criticism for his showmanship and 'outrageous' arrangements. Glad he's willing to overcome it and keep pushing himself at age 66 (in 2022)

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-23-2022, 01:44 AM

As they say feelings can’t be wrong? It’s just how you feel? This is a discussion forum feelings lead to discussion? I hear what many of you are saying but not sure the desire of appreciating all types of music will ever make me like rap? The above technique still drives me nuts. Lol.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 01-23-2022 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
As they say feelings can’t be wrong? It’s just how you feel? This is a discussion forum feelings lead to discussion? I hear what many of you are saying but not sure the desire of appreciating all types of music will ever make me like rap? The above technique still drives me nuts. Lol.
I'm not sure anyone was suggesting that you have to like all styles of music? But maybe we'd all be better served by spending our time listening to things we enjoy, rather than things we don't?
2014 Epiphone Les Paul Junior - sold

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write