The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-27-2022, 12:45 PM

I might add that you can save big college expenses by going to a community college. The college whereI taught was 1/2 the cost of a state university. To be sure , there will be no keggers or riotous parties but you can get an education.
Old 11-27-2022, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretfile100 View Post
I might add that you can save big college expenses by going to a community college. The college whereI taught was 1/2 the cost of a state university. To be sure , there will be no keggers or riotous parties but you can get an education.
I went to college after a hitch in the navy. I did my first 2 years at a community college where the course names and text books used were exactly the same as at the 4 year university, the tuition was 1/3 as much and the instructors were there in class teaching every day (not grad students/TA's).
Old 11-27-2022, 04:16 PM

Here's another recent development in my wife and my transition to a single income - now that she's retired and has lots of spare time, she's taking up spending money with a vengeance. I don't think I'll ever have to worry about retirement for myself - I'll never be able to afford to do it.
Old 12-14-2022, 03:07 AM
Charter Member

Update: on Monday, I gave notice to my employer with a final work date in mid-January. Factoring some comp time owed to me, my retirement date will be in six weeks. I was very anxious about this, since I truly love my company, job, and co-workers, but everyone has been overwhelmingly supportive and understanding about the reasons behind my decision.

I'm excited to begin this next chapter and dedicate more time to my son's and my own well being. I'm certain the finances will require some adjustments, but also optimistic that they will work out. My wife is relieved to hand over the teaching duties and agrees that the benefits of this decision are more valuable than the loss of income (both of which will be significant).

BTW, today is my son's 14th birthday. I wish him so much happiness, health, and love... and hope that this change will make a positive impact on this upcoming year and beyond.
Old 12-14-2022, 04:40 AM
Charter Member

Hi Pura-Vida, I had a crisis of decision in '93 at the age of 45. I worked for a large computer company who were offering "attractive" leaving packages. In my 20 years with them, I guess I enjoyed about 5 of them and in '93, I hated it. So I took the golden handshake.

I then commenced three years of unemployment spattered wt two or tree short jobs. until I accepted a post in a Quango paying exactly half of my previous pay plus a 60-90 minute commute daily.

I stayed with them through big and little p political upheavals for seven years, until I'd achieved my previous salary level, at which time they dumped me as I was earning too much.

I was quickly "head-hunted" by a partner organisation to run a project for an unspecified number of years, but I knew that it was of limited duration.

At 59, my financial advisor who managed my private pension told me that I couldn't afford to retire, but the advisor who ran my investments said he could work out a plan, if he took over my pension - which he did. I had to budget carefully from age 59 to age 65 when I could draw my state pension.

It all worked very smoothly.

One piece of advice I received from a good friend and band member who was a few years ahead of me -

"You will be surprised as to how much money it costs to work!"

You CAN live on considerably less if you budget carefully.

Like many, I run a spreadsheet of my income and expenses which is updated daily, and it also prewarns me of repeating big bills : Local taxes, Car servicing, Insurances, energy bills etc.

Since my cancer episode in 2017, we can no longer dine out, and when covid struck, I stopped taking my pension, living off my State pension, and investment dividends.

Obvious stuff : Pay off ALL debts, pay bills by direct debit, reconsider insurances.

Good luck.
Old 12-14-2022, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Update: on Monday, I gave notice to my employer with a final work date in mid-January. Factoring some comp time owed to me, my retirement date will be in six weeks. I was very anxious about this, since I truly love my company, job, and co-workers, but everyone has been overwhelmingly supportive and understanding about the reasons behind my decision.

I'm excited to begin this next chapter and dedicate more time to my son's and my own well being. I'm certain the finances will require some adjustments, but also optimistic that they will work out. My wife is relieved to hand over the teaching duties and agrees that the benefits of this decision are more valuable than the loss of income (both of which will be significant).

BTW, today is my son's 14th birthday. I wish him so much happiness, health, and love... and hope that this change will make a positive impact on this upcoming year and beyond.
Happy Bday to your son, and congrats on your decision. You’re doing the right thing for the right reason. Keep us posted as yoi work through this major transition.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 12-14-2022, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post

Good for you! Time is the most precious commodity we have, and time spent with our children is valuable. Not the same situation as you, but my family is a one income family as my wife stays home with our 3 young children. Sometimes I'd love to have the extra income, but overall I wouldn't change a thing.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic