The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-13-2022, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Default GAS now or later

Hello wonderful folks of AGF,

As the title suggest I have caught what likely over half the people on this forum have in some form or another GAS. I started my journey about 2 years ago when I contacted a luthier for my first custom build. I now have two guitars with one more custom build on it's way; which averages to a guitar a year. I don't have the time to play and enjoy much more than this, but I find myself looking for good deals for used guitars from luthiers I enjoy or even the occasional custom build slot. From my understanding guitars are just getting more expensive. Luthiers have a price bump every 1-2 years and the availability of tonewoods keeps the price of materials creeping upwards. By that logic if I wanted a guitar from a certain luthier now would be the best deal. Should I keep my current collection size and just trade up? Is there ever a point in guitar collecting where one just stops and realizes their collection is all they need? Would love some advice from those who have dealt with GAS over a longer period of time.
Old 10-13-2022, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomkaitokid View Post
Is there ever a point in guitar collecting where one just stops and realizes their collection is all they need?
Not sure if I am the right person, but i just purchased 3 guitars over the last 1 month and missed out on a 4th narrowly . It is fun as long as the wife, the wallet and the space allow it.
Old 10-14-2022, 01:48 AM
Charter Member

I think the biggest evolution of my GAS is finding out what guitars suit you the best…size-wise, sound, and of course aesthetically to include to tone wood and top/back & sides combinations, headstock configuration, etc.
So, that’s allowed me to part with 5 of my previous favorites, my never-sell guitars….thus making room for a suite of my favorites! I have settled on 5 - 2 classical and 3 acoustic, which allows me to have several tunings ready to go.
Now, for some people, GAS has led to having 10, 15, or more. I have a friend with 30. And of course Roy Rogers had over 3000 as I remember..!

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 10-14-2022, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck7 View Post
I think the biggest evolution of my GAS is finding out what guitars suit you the best…size-wise, sound, and of course aesthetically to include to tone wood and top/back & sides combinations, headstock configuration, etc.
So, that’s allowed me to part with 5 of my previous favorites, my never-sell guitars….thus making room for a suite of my favorites! I have settled on 5 - 2 classical and 3 acoustic, which allows me to have several tunings ready to go.
Now, for some people, GAS has led to having 10, 15, or more. I have a friend with 30. And of course Roy Rogers had over 3000 as I remember..!
I have found that I have guitars in my collection that I reach for daily a portion that I reach for in periods or for certain situations like travel electric or nylon and some that I don't play much at all.

The latter ones I think are an indication that I have reached a point where I should move some on. I can say to the OP that my daily play rotation is more than the 3 listed there so you have plenty of room to grow your collection. And I have used those instruments to determine what i prefer in an instrument ( the ones that I'm not playing all tends towards smaller string spacing and poorer ergonomics vs my primaries)

Sent from my motorola edge (2021) using Acoustic Guitar Forum mobile app
Old 10-14-2022, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

I currently have 3 single luthier built guitars; two I commissioned (Carruth and Poling) and one I bought used (Posch). These 3 cover the variety of tones I like for the variety of music I play. I don't really want more than 3 at a time (space, changing strings, etc), and if 2 covered things for me that would be nice.

But even though I feel I've got things covered I still look around, more for used than a new commission. But I really doubt I'd buy without playing first as I'm now much more selective in moving guitars in and out.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 10-14-2022, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

I was a 1 or 2 guitar guy forever until about 15 years ago when I got bit by the small shop luthier guitar bug. I bought a used luthier-built guitar that simply opened my eyes to how a good a guitar could be that didn't have the name Martin, Gibson or Taylor on it. That bug bite caused me to seek out what else was available, and more than a few guitars caught my eye and my collection grew over the years. I traded up in a few cases, but I also got bit by the "other" bug... Commissions. I've had 3 so far, and I have 3 coming up in the next couple of years. I'm fortunate to have been able to finagle my wallet to accommodate my GAS, not to mention, I have a very understanding wife.

There is no real answer to your question. You can take it as far as your wallet (or your significant other) will allow. I am currently at around a dozen guitars... way too many for most folks, but what can I say? I love guitars, and they bring me joy. There are many folks that think having that many is absurd, and they are entitled to say so. However, I am proud to have the collection I have and they are a good reminder for why I work so hard. The other benefit I have gotten from my GAS sickness is that I've gotten to know a lot of builders and players/collectors. A community of folks that I can call my friends and I cherish being part of that community every bit as much as I do my collection.
Old 10-14-2022, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

For me, GAS follows GLS, which is Guitar Learning Syndrome. The more guitars I played the more I realised what a huge range of tone, playability and aesthetics there is out there. So my guitar buying and selling has mirrored my growing knowledge of what I like in an instrument and which luthiers are the best match for that. How to achieve that? Trips to dealers like Dream, TME and Luthiers Collection, and some very enjoyable times at guitar festivals.

Then comes the used versus new trade off. Used is a huge money saver and allows me to experiment. New allows me to home in on something that may be closer to what I want in a long term instrument. I think we are each different in that respect but, for me, the guitars I keep and play the most are the ones I have commissioned after (1) playing that builder’s guitars and (2) talking extensively with the builder about what I wanted in a custom build. I’ve done a lot of homework on each custom build and I still enjoy every custom guitar I have commissioned over the past sixteen years. The ones that come and go are the ones I buy used.

Money comes into it, of course, but I suspect that luthiers' price increases are more often a reflection of general cost of living increases and increased experience than a response to increased notoriety and demand. I would feel nervous about trying to pick a builder "early" based on the latter and I would not want it to steer me towards a particular builder if there are other builders whose work I prefer.

How many guitars? I have less than ten and feel this is an embarrassment of riches. A good friend feels the same about his collection, but he has over forty!
Old 10-15-2022, 06:31 AM
Music soothes the soul!

In the 70s, I purchased an inexpensive 6 and 12 string. Those 2 were my only guitars until the bug hit me in 2011 when I began to experiment purchasing big box store axes to sample different tonewoods and box sizes. 2013 rolled around and I commissioned my first luthier built. That experience taught me well what NOT to do during a commission. 2013 through 2015 I purchased and sold many used luthier built, acquainting myself with various makers and their signature tone. I learned although tonewoods have their typical characteristics, a good luthier can do magic in any combination of woods to achieve the desired outcome expressed by the client. From 2015 on purchases include 8 commissions and a variety of second hand luthier built.

I guess you could say cigarfan is hooked. Addicted. Although I have earnestly tried to curb my GAS, I have found it impossible. So I have settled in on this. As long as I am not financially hurting my family or myself, I will continue. Also trying to be reasonable about how many I can play and care for. It's a balance between the two.

Current collection is at 13 and my cabinet only fits 10. Time to make adjustments!
Old 10-15-2022, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Current collection is at 13 and my cabinet only fits 10. Time to make adjustments!
To the cabinet?

Tommy
Old 10-15-2022, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

This thread is like a good therapy session blog…interesting to hear everyone’s GAS stories. Comforting to see how similar we all are!

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 10-16-2022, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
For me, GAS follows GLS, which is Guitar Learning Syndrome. The more guitars I played the more I realised what a huge range of tone, playability and aesthetics there is out there. So my guitar buying and selling has mirrored my growing knowledge of what I like in an instrument and which luthiers are the best match for that. How to achieve that? Trips to dealers like Dream, TME and Luthiers Collection, and some very enjoyable times at guitar festivals.

Then comes the used versus new trade off. Used is a huge money saver and allows me to experiment. New allows me to home in on something that may be closer to what I want in a long term instrument. I think we are each different in that respect but, for me, the guitars I keep and play the most are the ones I have commissioned after (1) playing that builder’s guitars and (2) talking extensively with the builder about what I wanted in a custom build. I’ve done a lot of homework on each custom build and I still enjoy every custom guitar I have commissioned over the past sixteen years. The ones that come and go are the ones I buy used.

Money comes into it, of course, but I suspect that luthiers' price increases are more often a reflection of general cost of living increases and increased experience than a response to increased notoriety and demand. I would feel nervous about trying to pick a builder "early" based on the latter and I would not want it to steer me towards a particular builder if there are other builders whose work I prefer.

How many guitars? I have less than ten and feel this is an embarrassment of riches. A good friend feels the same about his collection, but he has over forty!
That's the real truth about my luthier's build experience over the years in order to have the perfect collection. Now I have what I need and just changing something good for something better and if easy is in my hands or just keep what I own absolutly sadisfiet. I own five hight end incredible builders guitars that are more than holding his value actually and can say that Gas is gone.
Old 10-16-2022, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is there ever a point in guitar collecting where one just stops and realizes their collection is all they need? Would love some advice from those who have dealt with GAS over a longer period of time.
Hi,

I bought my first guitar some time in the mid to late '60s.
For a long time it was one in and one out.
I was simply looking for a better one periodically as I was still looking for better "fit" for me (and my hands), and, of course budget.

At some point between 1970 and 1975, I had two or three at a time, as I was starting to buy and sell.

I link my guitar buying (and car buying) to where I was living and disposable income.

In 1973, I got a new job which literally doubled my income, and I got up to Martins but one in one out ethos stayed.

In '75, I moved out of London and bought my first property which radically affected my buying power for a while, but after selling off lots of good stuff just to pay the mortgage AND eat, Thing got better in '75 when I got a '73 D35 which I kept for 21 years. (Playing in bluegrass bands also required me to get a mandolin (An Ibanez F5 bought for me by my Swedish girlfriend of the time) and a Dobro.

In '80, I moved again to the south coast and bought a house, but with somewhat less financial hardship.

Caring for my Dad with dementia took over my non business hours and in '83 I was struck down with a serious illness that ended my playing for ten years.

I finally left the corporate world and good pay) in '93 opting to work for a "quango" (A government funded organisation - which paid poorly.

I started playing again about the same time, but as a solo singer-guitarist - with that same D35, plus a Daion L999 legacy, and some Yamaha 12 strings.

About three years later, I was heading a pretty successful trio and decided I needed a "matched set of 6 & 12 strings and bought a Martin J-40 and a J12-40, neither of which suited me and two Lakewood "000" sized guitars, (6 & 12) which did.
In '99 I got my first Collings (twice as much as I'd ever paid before. and I wanted more.

A pattern of one a year started. altough many have come and gone.

In 2007, I stopped working and had to keep to a budget until my State pension matured in 2012, but I found that I could afford maybe one a year (with many going as I refined my "needs").

I bought what may be my last guitar in 2020 with my Eastman E40-00.

So, yes, I think my GAS has "settled" .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0121 (2).jpg (61.9 KB, 168 views)
Old 10-16-2022, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the advice and stories from everyone! It's still insane to me how some of you out there have 10+ guitars, but at the same time it makes me extremely envious! Based on the advice I think I'll keep my collection small and tight knit for now while trading up for something that really catches my eye.
Old 10-16-2022, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommieboy View Post
To the cabinet?

Tommy

Best response!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 10-17-2022, 01:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice and stories from everyone! It's still insane to me how some of you out there have 10+ guitars, but at the same time it makes me extremely envious! Based on the advice I think I'll keep my collection small and tight knit for now while trading up for something that really catches my eye.
Don't be too envious.

It is often noted on the AGF that increasing price achieves incremental, not proportional, gains in sound/aesthetics/build/playability. Put another way, a $10,000 guitar sounds better than a $1,000 guitar, but not ten times better.

I think the same applies to collections. I currently have six guitars that get all my playing time. But if I only had three of them I’d probably be ninety percent as happy as I am with six, and I’d still feel very fortunate.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop