The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-11-2022, 08:52 AM

Default Dobro String Buzz

Hello
I have recently re-strung my Dobro Resonator with heavier strings, the first string is a 16, previously I strung the instrument with medium acoustic strings!!
With the heavier strings I have noticed the B string buzzes (concert tuning) which is really annoying, any ideas are greatfully welcome.
Old 10-11-2022, 11:48 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindBoyLewis View Post
Hello
I have recently re-strung my Dobro Resonator with heavier strings, the first string is a 16, previously I strung the instrument with medium acoustic strings!!
With the heavier strings I have noticed the B string buzzes (concert tuning) which is really annoying, any ideas are greatfully welcome.
Lewis,
Where is the buzz coming from?

Open? On a particular fret?

Behind the bridge? Is it a spider style Dobro resonator or a National style 'biscuit' resonator?

Are you sure the string is in the bridge string slot?

More input is required.

HE
Old 10-12-2022, 02:06 AM

Default Dobro String Buzz

Many thanks for your reply.
The B string buzzes when played open on a typical spider arrangement Dobro, it does appear to be seated on the bridge
Old 10-12-2022, 03:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindBoyLewis View Post
Many thanks for your reply.
The B string buzzes when played open on a typical spider arrangement Dobro, it does appear to be seated on the bridge
Lewis,
If you bought a set of Dobro specific strings with a .016 gauge first string, they'd be expecting that they'd be used in Dobro G tuning, not standard. That's a lot of extra tension you're applying, but it's your guitar.

'Medium' gauge string sets are almost always assembled with .013 gauge, but you probably know that.......anyways........

It may well be that the nut slot was cut for a 'normal' set of strings, ie lighter gauge as would be played Spanish style, hence the slot is not quite large enough for the string to bottom-out in the slot. Try widening the slot a little bit to see if you can seat the string.

HE
Old 10-12-2022, 05:58 AM

Many thanks for your thoughts I play a National Tricone with the same strings 16's and its fine, I have tried the Dobro in open G , but I think you're correct ut probably needs a lighter touch!!!
Old 10-12-2022, 10:48 AM

The problem is probably fret buzz. To check push down any string in between the second and third fret and check the clearance to the first fret. You should have about 0.003 of clearance or to say just a fuzz of clearance. If you have no clearance, then that is your buzz. To fix you may be able to adjust the neck or fill the nut and recut to have clearance.

Hope that helps,
Old 11-06-2022, 03:10 PM

Get Paul Beards dvd on dobro setups. The buzz is the [emoji219] beast in the room for players of the instrument. Learning to make adjustments is important to living happily with a dobro.
Old 11-16-2022, 12:26 PM

At one time I had a set of GHS Jerry Douglas strings on my Dobro, a long time ago. The wound 2nd string string started buzzing, I think it was .018. The windings had broke on the string. Is your 2nd string wound?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments