The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-03-2022, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Bruce.. LMAO.

Awesome photo.
Old 12-03-2022, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

My user name (Blind Squirrel was already taken) reflects how I acquired my Acorn - a1978 F 370 SH "Lawsuit" Tak in 1980. The relatively wealthy seller completely lost interest in learning how to play the guitar, and I got a $499.50 MRSP for $75, including OHSC. Still have it and continue getting compliments on its sound from luthiers and very competent players.

https://imgur.com/a/xWMyH84
Old 12-03-2022, 02:18 PM

I bought a Takamine EF-508KC specifically to play plugged in at church. The guitar sounds good acoustically but certainly not as good as my other guitars. Everyone likes the sound of my Tak plugged in and I spent a fair amount of time getting the action just right so it's a joy to play. Great guitar for the purpose of playing plugged in and can hold its own with other guitars not plugged in though it won't ever 'win'.

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 12-03-2022, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

A good friend has a Takamine and plays it all the time. He has had it a long time and it shows, so evidently he likes it. He has other guitars that he could play if he didn't. I don't think it is a cheap guitar, he's not the type that plays cheap guitars. I haven't talked to him much about it because we generally only talk about guitars in passing, we mostly talk about playing songs.

I think that often times we see some famous musician playing the same make and or model of guitar that we play and we automatically find a connection in that. I know that I do. But I think that the reality is that many of these famous musicians don't pledge their allegiance to a particular brand of guitar and will play anything that sounds good, or in some cases whatever they are getting paid to endorse.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 12-03-2022, 04:13 PM

Irish singer/songwriter Glen Hansard put a lot of miles on his Takamine NP10.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-03-2022, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifivic View Post
Joe Walsh and Glen Fry sure knocked it out of the park playing a pair if Takaminis on Hotel California!
I was going to say the same...just finished watching a great documentary and noticed a lot of Taks. If it's good enough for them....
Old 12-03-2022, 06:36 PM

Hope you enjoy this guy playing a Takamine.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-03-2022, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post

Just.wow.
Thanks for posting!
Old 12-03-2022, 08:35 PM

I owned one back in the early 90’s. Don’t remember the model but it was something like EN10 or close to that. Two things stood out about that guitar.
1). The slightest change in humidity required a neck adjustment.
2). It was one of the weakest sounding acoustic guitars I ever heard.

I bought if used after a divorce and it was all I could afford. Happy day when I unloaded it
Old 12-04-2022, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
That’s a model I’d love to try. Just noticed, no fretboard dots…bummer!
You’re not looking at the fretboard dots when you’re playing, right? That’s what side dots are for.
Old 12-04-2022, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post

Yes, Nils, like Bruce (and many others) gig and record with Taks. But he still does love the D-18 that that tall Canadian guy gave him back in the day.

But I got Nils to visit a group of veterans that my wife used to run, where he did a songwriting workshop. What guitar did he bring? One of his Taks. Not to mention an original Pignose amp!
Old 12-04-2022, 08:44 AM

I had a Takamine P1NC that in retrospect I could have kept - I was looking for one singe guitar to do it all, and the Tak definitely was not it - I lead an all acoustic jam session once per month (so no plugging in) and the Tak got completely lost in this and similar sessions.

On the other hand : plugged in, it sounded glorious, and the action, intonation and setup were stellar.

On this forum I read about lots of guys getting their Dream Guitar with sigs full of Santa Cruz, Collings, Lowden, Huss and Dalton, Martin and Gibson. Completely different kind of guitar. A Tak is for 100 gigs per year chuck it in the trunk, pack out set up plug in and go!
2022 Taylor AD17e Blacktop
2016 Yamaha FG820 Autumn Burst
2015 Eastman E6D
2011 Eastman AC422
2008 Taylor Big Baby
1977 Alvarez 5059
-- no longer with us
2018 Taylor 324CE V
2013 Takamine P1NC
2010 Eastman AC420
Old 12-07-2022, 06:36 PM

In the mid 80's, Pete Townshend started using Takamine guitars for touring and eventually recording. The model he started with was in his mind, solid enough to take touring without being fussy and needing fixed.
Old 12-07-2022, 10:26 PM

My second guitar was a Takamine 12 string. Bought new in 1972. In those days The high end Tak’s were what they now call Lawsuit guitars. They were Martin clones-even the Head stock Decal looked identical style shouted Martin. Great guitars they were. The Solid top models were. You don’t see those Early D-18,28 Tak’s come up for sale often. They were not produced in massive numbers like Yamahas. Throughout the Decades Takamine has made great Guitars. Custom shop all solid wood to inexpensive student guitars. Tak’ Corp jumped on the acoustic electric concept early on and did well. I’ve owned 4-5 Tak’s over years. I bought my mint used Hybrid P3FCN nylon 7 years back for $700. I’m keeping it. Sage
Old 12-08-2022, 08:53 AM

I have had a few Takamine guitars, MIJ models, that I was always pleased with.
Currently I have all Koa Takamine that is one of the nicest guitars I have played. Taks are normally solid built instruments with impeccable workmanship that amplify easily. Plug and play is not a bad thing you know, but there are models that have very good playability and wonderful tone (for me) acoustically.
For what it’s worth, I tend to judge instruments by the build quality and the tone as well as ease of play. The name on the headstock is of not much concern. I think it is difficult to sell inexpensive instruments in the marketplace alongside luthier quality models.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion