The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-22-2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Well, that quote didn't age well... We'll see if I jinxed things completely in a few hours.
And Australia had me wondering for about 20 minutes!
Old 11-22-2022, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Some crazy results already! I think, that in a way, that I like the group stage as much as the later games. Kind of like the first 2 days of NCAA March madness as anything can happen!

Rob
Old 11-23-2022, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post

Don't worry about the draw boys - you were never going to win against Wales. It has taken 64 years just to get to the event! And as the song says - "We're still Here". When you play England on Friday, you'll have every Welsh fan behind you. I'd suggest that your team stops playing "pretty" football and starts to understand that its war!!!!
We’d (Wales and England) be mutually better off looking for England to beat USA, Wales to beat Iran, then England Wales final game allows both teams to “collaborate” and both go through. An England loss to USA reduces the odds for Wales of qualifying because you would have to beat England to go through rather than just getting a draw.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:17 PM

I've been off work recuperating from a knee op so have been able to watch most of the games. Pagey Boy's team selection against the USA cost us what could well have been a win - the big man should have been on from the start, especially with Joe Allen out. It was a real game of two halves once Moore was on. There have also been a few shocks in the victories for Saudi Arabia and Japan. Felt sorry for Canada today though - ran Belgium ragged, but didn't take their chances. Favourite moments so far have been the braces for Saka (easily the best right winger in the England squad) and Giroud (who we should have never let go). Yes, I'm a Gooner!!

VAR has been pretty awful though and the refs and linesmen in some games not much better, eg much as I can't stand McGuire, he was rugby tackled and didn't get a penalty. The officials in that game weren't fit to ref a parks game and England were lucky to get through their game without serious injuries.
Old 11-24-2022, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post

VAR has been pretty awful though and the refs and linesmen in some games not much better.
For sure. Portugal was gifted a goal in my opinion with that phantom penalty given to Ronaldo but, hey, he's made a career out of getting those calls. Not sure why that didn't go to VAR.

Rob
Old 11-29-2022, 02:33 AM
Charter Member

I'm hoping for a repeat of 1984! Yep, it's been nearly 50 years since Wales beat England. Perhaps today is the day!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 11-29-2022, 02:58 AM

Quote:
I'm hoping for a repeat of 1984! Yep, it's been nearly 50 years since Wales beat England. Perhaps today is the day!
Fingers crossed!! Whatever happens, we haven't done badly for the smallest nation to actually qualify with a population roughly a third of London.
Old 11-29-2022, 03:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
Fingers crossed!! Whatever happens, we haven't done badly for the smallest nation to actually qualify with a population roughly a third of London.
I can see the sun breaking through on the summit of Cadair Idris from my desk this morning - perhaps that's a good omen.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 11-29-2022, 06:53 AM

Quote:
I can see the sun breaking through on the summit of Cadair Idris from my desk this morning - perhaps that's a good omen.
Indeed! I have only ever seen the top of Cadair in pictures - have walked it in fog and snow before.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:33 AM

The Iranian journalist were mean to one of our guys the other day.

I'm rooting for us, er, I mean U.S.A.....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 11-29-2022, 04:10 PM

Oh well, there is always the nexr one.

England were worthy winners, even if Foden dived for the free kick. Pains me to say it, but England do have some depth in the forward line. I can't stand either of the Manchester teams, but their forwards did well today and Saka didn'teven get a game.
Congrats to the USA too, though you'll face a tough one against the Dutch. At least we can take some comfort from the fact that we were the only team to score against you in the group stage !
Old 11-30-2022, 01:52 AM
Charter Member

Well hopefully this has educated folks around the world that Wales is not part of England.

Old 12-01-2022, 04:18 PM

Wow. I don't know if it's because of the compressed schedule, being in the middle of the European season, more and more players playing globally in big leagues or what, but it seems like this year has featured more upsets than usual. For a few minutes, it looked like both of group E's big guns were going out.

That last two days of simultaneous group finals have been crazy. There should be less insanity tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2022, 06:58 AM

My wife is from Argentina, so it gets pretty animated in our house when Argentina plays!
Old 12-10-2022, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Well just watched the Morocco v Portugal match. I've travelled through both countries - lovely people - lovely places. Morocco so deserved the win tonight. They are going to be the outsiders yet again in the semi finals but just could pull off another win.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic