The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-30-2022, 02:55 PM

Finished 'Unbelievable' last night ... excellent.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-01-2022, 10:53 PM

Just finished 1899. Absolutely fantastic. Can't wait for Season 2.

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C
Old 12-02-2022, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor814 View Post
Just finished 1899. Absolutely fantastic. Can't wait for Season 2.
I'm currently hooked and on episode 6. It started slowly but really gained momentum after the first few episodes.
Old 12-02-2022, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Don't know if it has been mentioned but there is a Bob Dylan documentary called "No Direction Home", that being a big Dylan fan I found very interesting

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-02-2022, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I'm currently hooked and on episode 6. It started slowly but really gained momentum after the first few episodes.
If you liked Dark, I think you'll like 1899. It was created by the same duo who did Dark, and you've probably noticed how thematically similar the two are, including the absolutely unexpected Season 1 ending in the last 30 seconds. I believe the intent is to tell the story in three seasons, so hopefully Netflix won't bail early.

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C
Old 12-02-2022, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor814 View Post
....I believe the intent is to tell the story in three seasons, so hopefully Netflix won't bail early.
That is the real problem with any American-based TV company - they rarely allow series to reach their natural conclusions. There have been a few which have lasted, eg CW allowed 'The 100' to finish on its 100th episode, but too many get cancelled just as they are really picking up speed. Some shows which got killed too early for me include 'Earth 2', 'Pushing Daisies', 'Timeless', 'Utopia' (US reboot version, which, dare I say it, was much better than the UK original), 'Under The Dome', 'Firefly', 'October Faction' and the rather excellent 'Braindead'. I also read this week that Amazon's 'Carnival Row' is cancelled before Season 2 has even aired.

As for 1899, yes, I am a fan of Dark, but two episodes in, I am really enjoying it.
Old 12-05-2022, 09:23 PM

Yes, 1899 was great.

I just saw a really good film over the last two nights called The Wonder. Anyone seen it? It's set in a 19th century Irish village in which there is a young girl who appears, by divine intervention, not to need food. A nurse from England is enlisted to watch her and ascertain the truth.

It was compelling stuff - highly recommended.
Old 12-05-2022, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Don't know if it has been mentioned but there is a Bob Dylan documentary called "No Direction Home", that being a big Dylan fan I found very interesting
Did a double-take just now and thought this might be the Pennebaker film from the '60s...then looked it up and realized I was thinking of Don't Look Back. I had a paperback book released in tandem with that film and filled with stills from the production, but not sure I ever actually saw the film itself. Oh, and the book disappeared decades ago.

But thanks very much for the heads-up about this one. I'll put it on my list to watch.

Dirk
Old 12-08-2022, 06:49 PM

Anybody seen the film version of Lady Chatterley's Lover on Netflix right now? It's quite explicit, but the appeal goes beyond that to deal with issues of class, morality and gender. I'm not surprised the book was banned in England for so many years; it must have appalled traditional English people of the time.
Old 12-09-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Anybody seen the film version of Lady Chatterley's Lover on Netflix right now? It's quite explicit, but the appeal goes beyond that to deal with issues of class, morality and gender. I'm not surprised the book was banned in England for so many years; it must have appalled traditional English people of the time.
It is a pretty good adaptation. You're right that it is probably the best version to deal with the class issue - Clifford is truly vile!
Old 12-11-2022, 03:37 AM

Just watched The Bombardment. There’s so many WWII stories that are relatively unknown. Very well done, doesn’t drag for 3 hours, and will break your heart.
Old 12-11-2022, 09:30 AM

Is it too late to say how much I liked Season 5 of "The Crown"? I watched it twice, and it got stronger on second viewing. Initially, I had issues with some of the portrayals. Dominic West didn't seem right as Charles, and his portrayal was certainly not a natural continuation of the character as played previously by Josh O'Connor. I also know Jonathan Pryce from too many other roles to fully accept him as Philip. But Imelda Staunton immediately commanded the role of the Queen, and Elizabeth Debicki as Diana grew on me as the series went on.

The sets and direction were as spectacular as we've come to expect, and I thought the writing was very strong. In fact, the whole season was encapsulated within a single theme, the aging of the monarchy, better than most of the previous seasons. It wasn't just a linear retelling if familiar events. It used those events to illustrate a number of over-arching themes. That some of the events weren't totally historically accurate is beside the point. They were accurate enough to bring the themes to life, and that's what matters.

Wrapping the entire season within the commissioning and decommissioning of the royal yacht was stroke of genius. Some of the individual episodes were standouts. I thought the Charles/Diana divorce episode was very cleverly handled, showing it as one of 95 other divorce cases that were handled by the court that day. Also, the private relationship of Philip and Lady Romsey neatly contrasted with the more public exhibitions by other members of the family. Philip's counsel to Diana that she could live any life she wanted behind the scenes provided she put on a good face for the public put a whole new spin on Philip's character.

I hope I live long enough to see Season 6. It'll be interesting to see how they handle Diana's death, particularly since the Peter Morgan has already addressed it in a well-regarded movie on the subject. Apparently, they're going to end the series with the events of 2003 that followed the deaths of Princess Margaret and the Queen Mother. Somehow, we'll have to see the Queen coming to terms with her fading glory and recovering the strength to fight off Charles' ambitions to serve as sovereign for another two decades.
Old 12-11-2022, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

We just got back on Netflix after leaving for a while. We like The Great British Baking Show and are a few episodes into the latest season to drop. Also, on a recommendation from our daughter, we started watching Wednesday and are really enjoying that as well.
Old 12-11-2022, 07:32 PM

Has anyone seen Where The Crawdads Sing?
I liked that movie.
Old 12-11-2022, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
Has anyone seen Where The Crawdads Sing?
I liked that movie.
Yes, pleasant surprise and surprising. Worth the watch indeed.

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic