The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-18-2005, 04:43 PM

Thanks.

As far as dry, do you mean not enough effects? I try and make the vocals stand out for publishers and such to listen to so they can hear the words and melody. But any suggestions are always welcome.

Michael
Taylor GS Mini
Alvarez 314 1970's

www.michaelgresham.com
Old 08-18-2005, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute
Bob,

This is really cool. I dig your voice.....it reminds me of someone, but I can't really suss who it is. Either way, Kaylah should be very proud to have this
Wow... Thanks.

I feel like my voice sucks. I have only been recording for less than a month. Before that I just sat in my room and sang (real low) to myself.

Hearing my own voice is totally weird. But I will keep working on it.

Thanks again.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:15 PM

Michael, I'm no recording engineer, but it just strikes me that you may be going a little too far on making them stand out. Listen to some of your favorite singers and you'll see that the vocals and the music are pretty even.....it's the voice quality that makes them stand out.

I do think a little reverb or delay might help, too. That's what I mean by dry. But don't overdo it with the effects, it's a fine line between perfect and muddy

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 08-18-2005, 05:17 PM

Bob, I'm the same way about my voice, but people tell me they like it all the time. I'm always a bit surprised, to be honest
Old 08-18-2005, 07:37 PM

Chris,

I will try and play with the vocals a bit. That is the part of writing songs I do not like (mixing and such) there is such and art to that!
Thanks for the input.
MIchael
Taylor GS Mini
Alvarez 314 1970's

www.michaelgresham.com
Old 08-21-2005, 11:25 AM

Here is little tune I wrote which doesn't has a name yet. Although, I had to record it with my 'Beater' (Yamaha) directly into the CPU (don't have a good mic setup yet) I just want hear from you what you think.
Thanks
http://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...93K64R0JEDJYLT
Old 08-21-2005, 11:36 AM

Hey Bern,

Cool tune The recording is kind of strange though. The guitar sounds very artificial, almost like the "acoustic guitar" setting on a casio keyboard. I'm assuming that's got something to do with you recording method?

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 08-21-2005, 12:04 PM

Guyute,
Thanks !
Like I said, I used this low end Yamaha with pickup and I know it sounds 'tinny' with no depth. As soon as have a good mic setup I will finally record with my 00028. I just wanted to get feedback on the tune itself.
If you use a cheap instrument, you usually get cheap results.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:17 PM

Default Song Downloads

http://micahwalk.com/discography.htm

There are 4 of my tunes you can download on this page. CDs are available, too.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:04 PM

Default Another newbie acoustic recording (warning: sappy 70s love song)

It's the Bread cover, "Make it With You."

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=4579/singles

I did everything so please feel free to offer advice/feedback/comments.

In fact, I'll start. I think my guitar playing is lousy especially for a song that's very easy to play. My bass playing which I took up just a few minutes before recording the song is even worse. Lastly, I need to redo the vocals.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:32 PM

Micah, that's some nice stuff up there You've got a good voice for this kind of music.

Old 08-29-2005, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97
It's the Bread cover, "Make it With You."

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=4579/singles

I did everything so please feel free to offer advice/feedback/comments.

In fact, I'll start. I think my guitar playing is lousy especially for a song that's very easy to play. My bass playing which I took up just a few minutes before recording the song is even worse. Lastly, I need to redo the vocals.
Sage, I can't play your stuff....WMP doesn't like you

Old 08-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute
I'm not sure how many of you have heard of YouSendIt.com , but it's a great site for sending large files (up to 1 GB) to people who don't have a lot of storage space in their inbox. Basically, it sends them a link to a DL.

The nice thing for this is, you can use it to post clips of yourself into forums and up to 25 people can use the link before YouSendIt.com closes the link. Just send it to either yourself or a friend, then copy the reference link it gives you and paste it into a message here.

On that note....I'm going to be the first one that I'm aware of to post a yousendit.com link in this forum. This is a link to a song from a performance I did a while back. This is really bare-bones recording of me playing "Jolene" (a song from Ray LaMontagne) direct from the mixer's tape out, so I've done no editing or filtering. Please forgive the somewhat poor production value...

Jolene - mp3 format, not streamed. Approximately 9MB http download.

I'd sure like to know what people think
Your file expired according to the link you gave.

I'm using Acid Planet which is pretty easy to set up. The only thing I don't like is you are stuck using Windows Media Player (as far as I know). Also the first recording of a song to be uploaded has to be in WMA format. You can upload other media formats later. Check out my music page on Acid Planet.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
Great song, Wade! Your vocal reminds me of some of Nickel Creek's stuff.

My Band!
Old 08-29-2005, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman
Your file expired according to the link you gave.

I'm using Acid Planet which is pretty easy to set up. The only thing I don't like is you are stuck using Windows Media Player (as far as I know). Also the first recording of a song to be uploaded has to be in WMA format. You can upload other media formats later. Check out my music page on Acid Planet.
I'm in the process of actually putting up a website. So, soon enough, I'll just direct people there

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell