The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-16-2005, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

bobbyG67, Bern and Guyute, thanks!

(Bern, the answer is yes... it's in D, with the second guitar capoed at 7 in C, which was an afterthought while recording - and we ended up using it all the way through...)

Chad, really nice piece... I have a lot of admiration for anyone who writes fingerstyle pieces, and this one is a very nice listen.

Guyute, here I was expecting your imitation of Dolly Parton, and got to hear a very cool song - very nice!

Wade (gotta be happy there's a few more of us Wades around) - what I really like is the pace changes with no percussion - very nice song! The lyric has some really nice images, too. I surely relate to this one...

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 08-16-2005, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
Actually, it's good to know about - I'll probably use it in the future, simply because I don't want to use up the space on my own webhost. Sorry about missing the intent...
Actually, it's a very cool way to send large files. The recipient can DL at their leisure, too.

As for missing the intent, no big deal. I knew we'd have people who already had hosting posting their stuff. And I'm always glad to hear performances by people on the AGF....even when it's in person

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 08-16-2005, 10:36 AM

Wade (Kilgore, that is),

I like it! You have a very cool timbre...thanks for participating in my little experiment
Old 08-16-2005, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

As far is getting your music online cheaply a limited amount is already available through your ISP - usually around about 10 megs or so, however you can pay for more. It does not cost much to have a decent web host (a few dollars a month for lots of steady reliable space, for example www.hostexcellence.com
The problem with the free hosting sites is links that evaporate pratically overnight, limited number of downloads allowed, and sometimes advertising and popups.

I usually write my own music but as an exercise for a Water Is Wide thread over on the APM forum I posted a couple of variations
(not fully worked out pieces, just explorations)
http://dcoombsguitar.com/AMP/Water%2...Wide%20Two.mp3

http://dcoombsguitar.com/AMP/The%20W...0Is%20Wide.mp3

Rick
Old 08-16-2005, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
bobbyG67,
Chad, really nice piece... I have a lot of admiration for anyone who writes fingerstyle pieces, and this one is a very nice listen.
Thanks... I finally had time to give yours a listen.... awesome!! I really liked it. I sure wish I could sing.

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 08-16-2005, 08:21 PM

They all sound good, gang!!!

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 08-16-2005, 10:21 PM

Thumper...

I really enjoyed that tune. Your songs always inspire me to download them and add my own treatments...you know, for fun.

This time....I can't think of anything I would do. I like this song a lot...just as it is!
Old 08-16-2005, 10:38 PM

A Jim Croce Tune:

Bad Bad Leroy Brown
Old 08-17-2005, 06:15 AM

Wow... There is a lot of talent in here. I just do this as a hobbie, but hope to develope my voice to at least sound half decent.

Here is a song I wrote about being a soldier (6 years in the army 1983-89). It's just me and 2 condensor mics. I'm still working on getting the levels right, but I still have a long way to go.

http://home.comcast.net/~bcalvanese/Soldier.mp3

bobc
Old 08-17-2005, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fngrstyl
Thanks... I finally had time to give yours a listen.... awesome!! I really liked it. I sure wish I could sing.
I wish I could, too.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 08-17-2005, 09:55 AM

LOL! Wade, do you find that people tell you you have a great voice, but when you listen to it yourself you think, "MAN! I wouldn't buy a CD by this guy!"

I do mainly covers, but one or two originals, but I seriously DO NOT hear what some people seem to hear in my voice.

Personally, I think you have a really nice voice, but I'm willing to bet you're not hearing it the same way I am. I think that what we hear on tapes is different not just because it's not the way we hear it in our heads, I think it's something more than that.....will have to research someday.

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 08-17-2005, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd
A Jim Croce Tune:

Bad Bad Leroy Brown
Rick,

You have a very nice vocal tone. I'm going to make a suggestion for you though. I get the impression that you're being a little too precise with your singing (e.g., your pronunciation and definition). I'd like to hear you singing a song that really moves you, that you get so into that you forget about being precise. Sort of like the difference between logic and emotion?

I hope that was clear...I'm not really sure how to express what I'm talking about.

Old 08-17-2005, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc
Wow... There is a lot of talent in here. I just do this as a hobbie, but hope to develope my voice to at least sound half decent.

Here is a song I wrote about being a soldier (6 years in the army 1983-89). It's just me and 2 condensor mics. I'm still working on getting the levels right, but I still have a long way to go.

http://home.comcast.net/~bcalvanese/Soldier.mp3

bobc
Bob,

Nice song...and thanks to you and all those who give up part of their lives to serve their country

Old 08-17-2005, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute
Rick,

You have a very nice vocal tone. I'm going to make a suggestion for you though. I get the impression that you're being a little too precise with your singing (e.g., your pronunciation and definition). I'd like to hear you singing a song that really moves you, that you get so into that you forget about being precise. Sort of like the difference between logic and emotion?

I hope that was clear...I'm not really sure how to express what I'm talking about.
I think a song like 'Leroy Brown' is basically story. Exept of telling it, you probably mean sing story with its emotions and bring this feeling up front. It's like the blues, sing the story.
I hope this helps to support your suggestion.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:54 AM

I'll post a couple songs me and my wife have written...I'm at work so I can't listen but I'm going to start downloading the songs and burning them (if thats okay) and listening to them on the way home from work...

I Appreciate everyone's open-ness!

Taylor 310CE '05
Dean Acoustic Bass Performer CE '04 (Acquired, not purchased)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell