The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-25-2003, 09:55 PM

How about Bill Evans?
Old 11-25-2003, 11:15 PM

i usually keep quiet for these dave threads but after that million i've read on this board i'll speak up here. Who we all like and dislike is completely subjective. There are tons of acts that i don't care for at all but i let them be. my thoughts are just my opinions. I can see why people like acts and why people do not like acts. in the end i respect what everyone feels. As you all can see i like Dave and the DMB. there's no secret in that. 12/12/03 and 12/16/03 will be my 29th and 30th dave shows. so yes, i love this band's music and that wont' change.

To me, music is one of the things in life that is timeless. Musicians come and go but their music is something you cannot take away. It will always live on. I am currently a junior at VA Tech and i know most people here can relate w/ me when i say college is very very stressful. There is nothing in the world to me more fulfilling than coming home and just listening to a certain band for just 5 minutes to forget about life and the stresses that come with it. That to me is priceless. Dave's music has very positive messages (excluding a small handful of them ). I think it's a pretty safe thing to say that he is different from everything else out there. I can't name another act out there that reminds me of dave's style. One last thing i would say is the man and his band can absolutley bring it live. they tour so much and it's clear they enjoy doing it. It honestly doesn't seem to be just about money for them. they love music...and that's what i see on stage.

as for songs you could listen to............

a lot have been named but there are 4 that i think are absolutley masterpieces and should be listened to.

The Dreaming Tree
Spoon
JTR
Seek Up

thanks for reading yall and long live music!!!!

mark
Old 11-28-2003, 05:49 PM

Smile

I saw about 5 minutes of the end of a Dave Matthews interview today on Charlie Rose...then he did a tune called Gravedigger...

for all of his success he seems genuinely and remarkably humble....

still, I think I'd rather see Shania on the ol' teeeeveeee....

I think there's a goose, Canadian, honkers joke there...

but I see Mrs Trees standing in the other room with a shovel...

and I'm not ready to have my grave dug.....

Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 11-28-2003, 07:13 PM

If you get a chance, catch Dave on the FarmAid 2003 replays showing on PBS. He performs a great acoustic version of Too Much, as well as one of his new songs, Save Me. You get a good view of one of his 914ces during the clip, looks like it's in pretty good shape with all that strumming going on!
Goodall: RS (EIR/ItalSpruce), KCJCK (Koa/Koa), TRD (EIR/Adi)
Martin: DM3MD 81/234 (EIR/EngSpruce), 1833 D-45 (MadRW/Adi), OM-42 (MadRW/Adi)
Merrill C-28 (BRW/Adi)
Taylor: 914-CE-L1 (EIR/EngSpruce), BTO GA-C (MadRW/Adi), DMSM (EIR/Sitka)
Old 11-29-2003, 12:05 AM

Me and Jeffrey were talking about this one day....speakin' of Dave's guitars....

How come there's not a Signature Model Dave Matthews Taylor?
Les Paul Studio
Gibson J-45
Gibson Custom Shop Koa Songwriter
http://www.wadekilgore.com
http://www.myspace.com/wyndkreek
Old 11-29-2003, 07:52 AM

Exclamation

Judging from te popularity of this thread, maybe a better question is, "Who doesn't like Dave Matthews?"

2002 314ce LTD
2003 Baby Taylor

Psalm 95:6 - Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord our Maker.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Boiler
If you get a chance, catch Dave on the FarmAid 2003 replays showing on PBS. He performs a great acoustic version of Too Much, as well as one of his new songs, Save Me. You get a good view of one of his 914ces during the clip, looks like it's in pretty good shape with all that strumming going on!
if you catch the correct angle at one of his shows, you'll see there is some considerable pick-wear on his guitars....both above and below the soundhole. he does have a clear pickguard on the 914s though (probably the 12ers too, but i've never paid close enough attention to have noticed), so at least it's plastic and not spruce he's beating up

overall, monk (dave's guitar tech) takes pretty darn good care of those guitars though....he's surely got a lot of them to maintain!!
Bose PAS - Single Bass Unit
http://www.myspace.com/donbecker
Old 11-29-2003, 07:20 PM

I like DMB. They're the ones that got me really like music and wanting to play guitar.

Chris
Old 11-29-2003, 11:04 PM

Can anyone comfortably play #41? Cus daaaamn that stretch hurts my hands like crazy. I can barely hold it. If anyone is up for a challenge as far as DMB songs learn, So Much To Say, Tripping Billies, Captain and.......mmmm oh yes Warehouse. Perfect and I mean perfect tabs at www.dmbtabs.com
Old 11-30-2003, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phatnev
Can anyone comfortably play #41? Cus daaaamn that stretch hurts my hands like crazy. I can barely hold it. If anyone is up for a challenge as far as DMB songs learn, So Much To Say, Tripping Billies, Captain and.......mmmm oh yes Warehouse. Perfect and I mean perfect tabs at www.dmbtabs.com
i can comfortably play the aforementioned songs.....you just gotta grow some bigger hands i think....

1) the ladies love it

2) you can hit all the dave matthews chords you want

Bose PAS - Single Bass Unit
http://www.myspace.com/donbecker
Old 11-30-2003, 11:32 AM

The Dave Matthews course I'm taking right now is really rockin'.....we've learned the following....

Dancing Nancies
Satellite
Crash
Ants Marching
So Much to Say

It took me about a week to get each one......the only one I'm not comfortable with yet is Ants.....I'm a little rough on the chord changes right now....

So Much to Say is really an easy song....
This (from dmbtabs) really is 90% of the song...

Intro
Dave uses his 2nd finger mute during the last slide
E:------5-----------------
B:------5-----------------
G:------5---4\6-----------
D:---------------7--------
A:------------------------
E:-3\5--------------0-8\--
(2) 4 (1) 2 3

Verse
Dave plays this once then the intro twice as one rotation of verse
E:------5-------------------------------
B:------5-------------------------------
G:------5---4\6-------------10----------
D:---------------7------5---7--------7--
A:--------------------3-----x------5----
E:-3\5--------------1------/10---3------
(2) 4 (1) 2 1 2 4 (3) 1 2 4

My $.02 on this song is to take out that crazy Dm chord
------
------
--10-
--7--
--x--
-/10--
(3)

and just play this instead (barre at 5)
--5--
--6--
--5--
--7--
--5--
--5--

A slightly different tone, but it is well worth it to not have to go so far up the stinkin' fretboard like Dave and pull off that crazy stretch.....then again, that's why he's Dave.

'02 314ce-LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Poor
pipsqueak for President. The choice is clear.
"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all. ~ Michelangelo ~ (1474-1564, Italian Renaissance Painter, Sculptor) "
Old 12-01-2003, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phatnev
For some reason, #41 has never been a problem for me, even with my stubby fingers...perhaps it's the custom narrow neck on my 614ce that helps!

My current challenge is "Let You Down"...some real crazy chord changes that happen very fast. Really, they're just a matter of moving a couple fingers for each change, but my hand has a hard time memorizing which fingers. Occasionally, I can get it about twice through...and then a mess up! I know it will eventually "click" though, just like the other Dave songs I've tackled....just takes persistence until the muscle memory kicks in!
'03 K22ces
'98 Seagull S6+ CW Cedar
'73 Ibanez mandolin
'00 Ibanez cutaway 6-string
Copeland low whistle in D
Peavy Predator
Old 12-01-2003, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Boiler
Yeah...got that on video. Thankful for the many views of his left hand, as DMBTabs doesn't have those songs up yet. For those of you who haven't seen it, he does those two songs plus Gravedigger.

I have a downloaded film clip of him doing Gravedigger at Farm Aid, but it must be from 2002, because unlike this year's he introduces it as a new song..and then makes a rare mistake! In the bridge, he starts singing "Ashes to ashes" first. He gives a little "oops" smile and goes right back to the correct first line ("Ring around the rosies"...as any child knows!). Nice little moment...good to know that this happens to the best of them...cuz it happens to me at least once every time I perform!
'03 K22ces
'98 Seagull S6+ CW Cedar
'73 Ibanez mandolin
'00 Ibanez cutaway 6-string
Copeland low whistle in D
Peavy Predator
Old 12-01-2003, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Worship Him
Judging from te popularity of this thread, maybe a better question is, "Who doesn't like Dave Matthews?"
Me.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:39 AM

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Worship Him
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by sunfighter

Me.

Me either. Ugh.
1 John 3:16

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell