The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

View Poll Results: Ever built your own guitar or dreaming?
I have built many 9 16.36%
I have built one 6 10.91%
I am planning to build one 25 45.45%
I am dreaming of it but can't because I have 10 left thumbs 13 23.64%
Why building? 2 3.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2010, 01:02 PM

Default Ever built or own or dreaming of it

I thought it would be interesting to see as the first thread in this category how many have already built their own guitar.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:23 PM

One day, when I have a proper place to work, I'll build. I'm very good with my hands and have been interested for a very long time. I'm completely fascinated by the build threads. I've always had an interest in inlay as well.

My one and only acoustic: Fender CD140SCE
Old 02-04-2010, 01:36 PM

Not yet, but seriously planning on it. I'm devouring Somogyi's The Responsive Guitar and Making the Responsive Guitar books, and have read several others. I've made a scale balsa wood model that's about Z0% faithful to a real one.

The thing that's holding me back is space - I live in a small apartment in London, so not the ideal situation for a workshop. Taking a month off for a course is also not an option (work commitments, plus my first child is due in a few months).

I have spoken with some local luthiers about renting/borrowing workshop space, and that might be a goer for the near future.

My first will be a mahogany/sitka OM to replace the Collings OM1 I just traded for my Hamblin. If it's 1/10th as good I'll be very happy.

Baranik Meridian "Aurora" fan-fret - Celebes ebony / Colorado blue spruce
Tom Sands Model L fan-fret - Macassar ebony / European spruce
Hamblin GC - Macassar ebony / Italian spruce
Kronbauer SMB - Macassar ebony / Engelmann spruce
Baranik JX - Indian rosewood / German spruce
Sheppard GA - African blackwood / Bosnian spruce
Collings OM1
CA Cargo Raw | Ele
Old 02-04-2010, 01:42 PM

I just started stockpiling for my first build actually. Got the back, sides and soundboard all stickered up. Now I just need to find some money for the rest of it
Old 02-04-2010, 01:49 PM

I've built several guitars, but only in my dreams! That's probably as far as I ever get, but if I were to try my hand at it, I'd probably start with a kit. I've seen some wonderful guitars that were brought to life after starting out as a kit.

cotten
Old 02-04-2010, 01:53 PM
happiness

I do dream about it, but I have no woodworking skills, so I'd have a huge learning curve. Perhaps one day, with a kit...

Fliss
Old 02-04-2010, 01:59 PM

Hope to try a kit someday.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:09 PM

I've got some wood aging. I've got the shop and the standard tools. No git specialty tools yet

Taylor HR-14 Hot Rod NAMM Limited Edition "Hot Rod" (Aniversary Present from my Wife)

http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/b...letrap-photos/
Old 02-04-2010, 09:12 PM
do what huh?

I've got a lot of the tools from when I moonlighted as a repair tech, handling some pretty heavy stuff.

As soon as I have enough room to run a router without someone screaming about it, you can bet I'll have a room full going at one time.

My first is going to be a hog/adi spruce dread, ebony board and bridge...Oh I can only imagine.
G&L ASAT Classic
Fender Am Std Telecaster
Marlboro spruce/eirw dread
Wrongbox Cigar Box Lap Steel
Old 02-04-2010, 09:29 PM

I would love to one day build a guitar, but probably like in a class setting with a master luthier rather than a kit by myself, I wouldn't know what to do, no wood working experience at all. It is quite expensive to take a class to build your own, but I think it would be such a fun journey making something you are so passionate about.... I'll keep dreaming ... not gonna happen any time soon...

Santa Cruz H13 (Sitka/Mahogany)
Bourgeois OMC (Engleman/EIR)

Old 02-04-2010, 11:01 PM

I dream of it but like most, I have no woodworking skills. It has become a dream of mine; to build at least one in my life. I vascillate between just buying stuff and going slow on my own, or taking a class...but I don't think I want to start on a kit. I think I would wanna do the whole thing soup to nuts...
Old 02-04-2010, 11:34 PM

I have yet to procure enough space to set up shop, but my plan to accomplish that is well underway. I've read most of the way through Cumpiano's book, countless things on the internet, have most of my supplies lined up for the first one, and 4 more roughly designed after that

Just working the wood is a lot of fun. I have a half built violin that I'll be getting back to as well. I can only imagine what it will be like to finally hear the voice of my own creation. I don't think I'll ever do commissioned instruments, but I might try putting some up for sale after I've done enough to feel comfortable with my skills.

I love the design part. Finding just the right balance of visual artistry while keeping it looking more like a traditional guitar than an "eccentric luthier" guitar
Plus matching all the acoustically unimportant design with the overall vibe of the instrument. The shape and woods are predetermined to get the desired tone, so everything else can be planned to mesh with that. Although I must admit, the look of the woods and shape in combination does influence what tone I decide to target. Gotta take everything into account. These are functional works of art, not simply tools.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:22 AM

Smile

We will try building an all hog guitar this summer in our NYC apartment.

Got a little stack of stickered wood on a bookshelf in my home office and a humidifier puffing mist already...

I talked to a kit supplier a couple weeks ago who has a customer building on a coffee table in his apartment living room, wife standing behind him with a vacuum cleaner.

haha... So we're not alone!!

Last edited by raregroove; 02-05-2010 at 05:33 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:46 AM

I built one (for my dad) with another that will be done by next Saturday (commemorating 10 years of a ministry where I learned to play guitar). Both were done in a guitar building class offered by Phoenix Guitar Company.

Both times have been a great time and a great experience. This second time, I'm definitely more aware of things (especially the finish process and how important it is to take your time).
Old 02-05-2010, 02:16 PM

I've built a bunch (nearly 60) but its a hobby that pays for itself. If someone wants me to make them a guitar or a mndo, or a zouk or a .... (you get the idea) then I'll do it for cost plus beer money.

that way I get to keep one every now & then.

I have no intention of giving up the day job or even slightly considering myself as a pro.

MOST of my tools belong to the high school where I teach design technology though I do have a cupboard of my own goodies.

a huge amount of my wood is scrounged from the dumpster at a local building firm (they have the UK contract for fitting out pizza Hut & Starbucks as well as a lot of top end hotels, so lots of walnut, mahogany, oak etc.......

I've also just started a 11 yearold pupil whos making a Les Paul juniorish sort of thing, and I'm talking to another guy (15) who wants a bass. he asked if Id make him one and I told him no, but I'd help him to make his own..... we'll see!!
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair