The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-15-2007, 09:32 AM

I've never cared for the music of Pat Metheney, or that of any of the G3 (Satriani, Vai, Ywengie), but I would never question their respective musical talents. Tastes in music vary, therefore to each their own.

Taylor 414e Ltd Claro Walnut__Takamine EC132C__Larrivee 000-40R__Yairi WY-1__Alvarez PJ85SC-DVS & PJ85SC-12DVS, RB30SC__Guild GAD-JF48__Seagull Model 12, S12, S6+ Folk, M4 Spruce__Ibanez AW-25 (12s), PF5CENT __Olympia OD?, OP2__Hohner Morena-HAM 712 mandolin__Flight Ukulele__Yamaha Guitalele
Old 05-15-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardism View Post
TE. I don't mind listening to him for a song or two on occasion, but I can't stand to watch him play. He is an incredibly skilled player that does absolutely nothing for me. If I had his chops, I wouldn't be playing the way he does. For me, it has no heart.
Alright, I've sat and read these posts as they are being added and I can no longer be silent, Yardism we will just have to agree to disagree with the understanding that "to each his own"and I'll let it go at that..............

Last edited by rlouie; 05-15-2007 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Yardism asked not to be maligned and I'm honoring that
Old 05-15-2007, 12:17 PM

Here is my Tommy Emmanual story.

I am not a great guitar player by any stretch of the word, so I go onto YouTube and type in "guitar lessons" so I can see how some of the songs I already know, and still want to learn, are actually played (Books lie).

Then one day I decided to type in "acoustic guitar lessons" to tighten up my search query. This is when I came across this video about harmonics. It was Tommy showing you how he makes his guitar sound like a piano, and what his harmonic thumb-picking technique is. Then he plays his rendition of Michelle - The Beatles. This video flat out blew me away.

Then I decided to look up his name, and came across this video called "Guitar Boogie" (The one where he is sitting down in front of a grey background, and is somewhat blurry.). Let me just say that I could not pick my jaw up off of the ground for at least a minute after this video finished. I could not believe there was not smoke coming off the pick, and strings.

Ever since I was lucky enough to come across this, Tommy Emmanual, person I had never heard of before, I have been seeing his name pop up everywhere. I have even been looking him up on the interweb to see if he is coming to Arizona any time soon (Not!), and I plan on purchasing at least one of his CD's this very weekend.

He is even rated #5 in the top 100 acoustic guitarists of all time.

In my humble un-talented opinion, Tommy, is one of the greatest guitarists my eyes have ever had the pleasure of seeing (On video).

I am now a major Tommy fan!

Rock on Tommy!
Old 05-15-2007, 12:21 PM

I have seen Tommy live, and I can tell you his whole heart goes into his his music. He is an incredible performer and the music oozes, explodes may be the more proper term, out of him on stage. As far as his style, it is percussive and that might not be for everyone, but thats how he likes to play, he was a drummer after all

So far as I know he and Chet were good friends and like everyone should do, he adopted his own flavor to add to Chet's style. If he played exactly like Chet or anyone for that matter, then that is all he would be, a copy.

Tommy plays in his own style and I love listening to all the complicated riffs and runs. It fascinates me. And in my mind I think he is the greatest acoustic guitar player right now, and one hell of a nice guy to boot!

Thats my $0.02.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcemech View Post
Tommy plays in his own style and I love listening to all the complicated riffs and runs. It fascinates me. And in my mind I think he is the greatest acoustic guitar player right now, and one hell of a nice guy to boot!

Thats my $0.02.
I would say that, while inevitably there are a few that don't connect with TE, I think he is one of the top guitarists. I say that instead of just "fingerpicker" because about half of the stuff he plays he does with a flatpick, and then quite a bit beyond that is hybrid picked. He apparently only learned pure fingerpicking after he saw a photo of Chet wearing a thumbpick. So the amazing thing about Tommy is that he can play full speed in any style. And I still would suspect that some of his speed is the result of being a former or part time electric guitar player.
2006 Taylor 310
2007 Kronbauer Mini-Jumbo
2006 Taylor GS-5 (sold)
Stewart Stowaway Strat (traveler)
2008 Fender Am. Std. Strat
2013 Taylor 814ce
Old 05-15-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbanjo View Post
oops, sorry rattletrap, I didnt mean that he sucks or anything, he's good at the guitar, I just don't like the way he plays it.... (if that makes any sense) he's way too... percussive for me, and he's kinda all over the place....

And for the record I'm pretty amazing at the guitar... you know... if nobody already told you.....

Cbanjo,
All is cool, we all have our different styles. IMO, being all over the place is kind of an asset. I tend not to like the percussive style either, it, IMO, tends to take away from the instrument.

I'm a long way from being amazing at the guitar, unless you were to say amazingly bad. But, I love it, I love much of the music produced by those people who can make it sing.

Do you have any stuff recorded? I'd like to hear it.

Taylor HR-14 Hot Rod NAMM Limited Edition "Hot Rod" (Aniversary Present from my Wife)

http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/b...letrap-photos/
Old 05-15-2007, 02:44 PM

Tommy is certainly a charismatic player, and it appears that many people are drawn to the live guitar acrobatics of songs like Guitar Boogie and Tall Fiddler. IMHO, Tommy is at his best playing delicate songs, that require finesse and a light touch. His sense of tempo and variances in volume, muted notes and such are just mind boggling. He plays with more emotion and feel than anyone I've ever heard. And, his technique is flawless.

If you want to see what I mean, get the live DVD called Live at Her Majesty's Theatre. Some of my favorites are Cowboy's Dream, Antonella's Birthday and Tahitian Sky.

Also, his version of Mona Lisa on Endless Road is sublime. Check out this vid and you'll know what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmsL8S8bDsk
Old 05-15-2007, 02:44 PM

HA! Imagine I actually had stuff recorded..... I think I'm light years from that stage.... sorry to dissapoint, but trust me, its for the best!
Old 05-15-2007, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Default if not some of the greatest...

pretty dang good, imho
paisley
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qHZULLyTBAk
mason
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oeJHnkUKg_M
dykes
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3mwFA56dKP8
hull (ok, so it's flatpicking)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mNpVvDXktQY
Old 05-15-2007, 03:17 PM

I'm not familiar with Tommy Emmanuel, but will check him out. Frankly, some of my favorite guitarists are not always the most technically proficient in the pure sense of the word. For example, James Taylor has a deceptively simple style, but I enjoy his music and always find some intriguing nuance in the way he plays.
Taylor 914ce
Martin D28e Modern Deluxe
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Custom Shop '55 Stratocaster (Sunburst Relic)
Fender Custom Shop '51 Nocaster (Blonde Relic)
Old 05-15-2007, 03:53 PM

I prefer Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:00 PM

Check out ol' Chet playing a fretless guitar here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVrq6RGQV8s
Old 05-15-2007, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

This thread reminds me of the new Rocky movie. Let's do a computer simulation of TE vs Chet

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
This thread reminds me of the new Rocky movie. Let's do a computer simulation of TE vs Chet
Great idea!

Just be sure to include Jerry Reed, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t9E73aU_sA
Old 05-15-2007, 04:30 PM
Luthier

Chet also said the same about; Doyle Dykes, Jerry Reed, Roy Clark and a few others.

Woody Boyd
Luthier
"Home of the banjo eating HOG"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell