The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-09-2019, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Cool Mt Old FRAP P.U. Came Back To Me!

Back in the 70's, I used a FRAP pickup on my acoustic on stage... jumped over to USTs when they came out, and I must have loaned that FRAP to a friend sometime in the early 80's...

Well, lo and behold! Received a package the other day that had not only my old FRAP pickup (w/ red preamplifier), but also an entire other FRAP unit called the "iT".

The iT has the pickup portion hardwired into a smallish aluminum box which serves as the preamp.

Both seem to be in good shape; my old one has a lot of gunk on the pickup's cable (from the old days when everyone smoked in every bar!), but I can clean that off... the iT has a slight breaching of the connecting cable, about 12" from the pickup transducer, but I do not believe that it is shorting out the cable.

Does anyone know where I can get more information on the original FRAP pickups? I know that Trance Audio Amulets "kind of" came from that design, and I know that Tedidy Randazzo used to work for FRAP. What I'm hoping for is more spec-oriented information, as well as install info.

Trying to decide what to do with these units, or if they'd be worth installing in one of my acoustic guitars...

Any one with any good ideas?
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

Last edited by jseth; 02-15-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:33 AM

I will direct Teddy over to this thread and he may have a lot to say about it.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 02-10-2019, 01:14 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Back in the 70's, I used a FRAP pickup on my acoustic on stage... jumped over to USTs when they came out, and I must have loaned that FRAP to a friend sometime in the early 80's...

Well, lo and behold! Received a package the other day that had not only my old FRAP pickup (w/ red preamplifier), but also an entire other FRAP unit called the "iT".

The iT has the pickup portion hardwired into a smallish aluminum box which serves as the preamp.

Both seem to be in good shape; my old one has a lot of gunk on the pickup's cable (from the old days when everyone smoked in every bar!), but I can clean that off... the iT has a slight breaching of the connecting cable, about 12" from the pickup transducer, but I do not believe that it is shorting out the cable.

Does anyone know where I can get more information on the original FRAP pickups? I know that Trance Audio Amulets "kind of" came from that design, and I know that Tedidy Randazzo used to work for FRAP. What I'm hoping for is more spec-oriented information, as well as install info.

Trying to decide what to do with these units, or if they'd be worth installing in one of my acoustic guitars...

One idea is use a Dazzo instead : Its , use , sound quality ( of which Frap was best in its day ) low feedback ,ease of installation and difference in weight on a guitar top and more reasons ....
We guarantee all the above .

Last edited by dazzoman; 02-10-2019 at 01:15 AM. Reason: misspell
Old 02-11-2019, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to both Vance and Teddy for their responses... I am looking for information on how to best make use of these two FRAP pickups, however; not looking to install something else at this time.

Anyone else have any good ideas for me?
are near...

Old 02-12-2019, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Anyone?

Come on... there must be more old-timers here that remember some of this stuff!
are near...

Old 02-13-2019, 06:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:

Hi JS,
How about going to the inception?

Perhaps you can glean some insight from the patent information. It's a long read....

https://patents.google.com/patent/US...arus%2c+Arnold

HE
Old 02-13-2019, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Howard... had not thought of going that route... I'll check it out later and see if there's anything useful for my needs.

Appreciate it...
are near...

Old 02-15-2019, 02:42 PM

Larry Cragg, Neil Young's tech might be helpful. I believe he still uses the system in his some of his instruments.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:34 PM

The F.R.A.P. GP-100 installed in my Gurian Jumbo Herringbone is still going strong after 40 years. Sounds great.

George
Old 02-15-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by throbert View Post
Larry Cragg, Neil Young's tech might be helpful. I believe he still uses the system in his some of his instruments.
I pulled a working FRAP system out of a 70's D-28 recently, complete with the red preamp. While doing my own research on it, the best resource I noted was Larry Cragg. Larry does a special stereo install for Neil, so maybe he could help with that second transducer you got. If you need another FRAP, go ahead and message me.

Svea
Old 02-15-2019, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post
The F.R.A.P. GP-100 installed in my Gurian Jumbo Herringbone is still going strong after 40 years. Sounds great.
Good to know! How is it installed? I'm assuming it's inside the body of the guitar, but where? Do you know how it's oriented? What do you use for a pre-amp, or do you need one at all? What type of amplification are you using (amp/PA?)... Do you perform often?

I would really appreciate your answers to these questions; they may help me to install one (or both!) in my acoustics. I already have decent/good pickup systems in both my Angus 6 and 12 string acoustics, but I'd love to yank out that UST and the battery box and wires!

I'd only do it if the FRAP's would either eclipse or come close to the sound of the Anthem...
are near...

Old 02-17-2019, 06:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Good to know! How is it installed? I'm assuming it's inside the body of the guitar, but where? Do you know how it's oriented? What do you use for a pre-amp, or do you need one at all? What type of amplification are you using (amp/PA?)... Do you perform often?

I would really appreciate your answers to these questions; they may help me to install one (or both!) in my acoustics. I already have decent/good pickup systems in both my Angus 6 and 12 string acoustics, but I'd love to yank out that UST and the battery box and wires!

I'd only do it if the FRAP's would either eclipse or come close to the sound of the Anthem...
Jseth ,

You will need a Frap or Transaudio preamp and make sure the cord length is as short as possible like within 7 feet (coming out of guitar ) or it loses capacitence unless you get the new Trans internal preamp they are offering now .
Placement by the Frap Co (circa 1980) was to remove all strings save low E , hold one Frap out along the X brace on the bridge plate near high E with tail wire facing end block .
You would drag it along the X brace , passing near high E , back and forth until you got the loudest signal while plucking E .
Repeat with his special glue or use what I use now for Dazzos which is much easier to deal with - Loctite 6 min epoxy gel . It will hold the pickup on hence it is so gooey and sticky like tree sap .
This will enable you to hear and check and slide back and forth until its the loudest spot while its wet ( 4 minuet window until it sets up )
Frap used a 24 hour cure glue that was an RTV type and you had to leave the guitar face down over night and pray it doesnt move a half a centameter or it changes the sound drasticly.
I was told by Leo Kottke recently that Michael Hedges put the Frap in back of G , B , E string on the bridge plate but I have never tried it .
Here is a pic of Leo's index finger showing me just that ( with his permission ) ...oops I have to post the pic somewhere els here , I don't see a paper clip button ...

Last edited by dazzoman; 02-17-2019 at 08:43 PM. Reason: goofed
Old 02-17-2019, 08:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here is the picture of the Frap placement shown by Leo K that he said Michael Hedges placed the Frap on his Martin .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1069.jpg (30.2 KB, 55 views)
Old 02-17-2019, 11:52 PM
Charter Member

Teddy - Thank you SO much for all the information! I really appreciate it. Sounds a little scary for a "non-tech" type of guy, but at least I know several locations for an install.

I have my old red FRAP preamp that came with the Model T... and the other FRAP is actually attached to a 2"x3"x4" aluminum case that holds 2 9v batteries - I'm assuming that it is the preamp for the iT...

I might have to give these a go...
are near...

Old 02-22-2019, 01:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Teddy - Thank you SO much for all the information! I really appreciate it. Sounds a little scary for a "non-tech" type of guy, but at least I know several locations for an install.

I have my old red FRAP preamp that came with the Model T... and the other FRAP is actually attached to a 2"x3"x4" aluminum case that holds 2 9v batteries - I'm assuming that it is the preamp for the iT...

I might have to give these a go...
You welcome ! The "IT" was a single dimentional Frap and wasnt their favorite product , had problems .I have one of those somewhere . IT has its own built in , in line like battery preamp ....
The red pre was their garden variety preamp and will do the job well .
I would attach that red pre on my guitar strap with a short pig tail wire for short distance for best sound, worked great , had Vol control right there .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification