The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-23-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
"Now, this may not handle like you're used to . . . "

"Are you kidding? I could drive one of these in my sleep!"
LOL! That would make a great Tesla skit on SNL, or even better an SCTV reunion.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
We were discussing the differences with our cars last night. The funny thing about your saying "I'm old and don't like that change." is one of our kids loves our manual transmission but thoroughly modern car. He and my wife turn off the lane assist yet my wife is the one who worries and insisted on the car that has the most robots helping. She rarely drives it.

In their defense (wife, son) the Subaru EyeSight doesn't steer the car but it sure is good at shouting at you or a fast effort to stop or drop your speed by I think 20 MPH if you're going faster.

My boss and a friend have commented on Tesla software updates as they apply to particular spots on the roads. They've both said their cars have become better about not trying when they're unsure.

For the VW, my wife and son hate the way the steering wheel will get a tug in a false positive or not getting it right. It probably bothers me less via more time in that car and for tugs, I once drove Macks and Freightliners that had no power steering. A front tire blowout in a 1963 Mack truck when I was probably 18 years old was a forever lesson in steering - mostly in my not wrapping a thumb and not letting go of the wheel.
For the first time in years I've noticed some of my teenage guitar students getting excited about cars. One has a Miata with a manual, another has totally rebuilt an old Jeep. Hope it's a good sign of things to come.

My '18 Tacoma has too many electronic features for my liking, but most can be disabled, like the lane departure alarm which can sense a rut on a gravel road and think it's a painted line, and the tire sensors which are fine for the summer tires but I don't have for the snow tires. I've never used the GPS but my wife will tinker with it as I drive. She also uses the seat warmer but I've never felt the need. I like the practical things like the AC generator, CD player, and powered rear window (it's a four door so I can't reach it from the driver's seat). That rear window is heaven for the dogs, and also ventilates the cab better than anything else.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:08 AM

I had to bite tongue yesterday when I ended stuck in the c suite open desk area for several hours hearing people be reactionary about car technology much along the lines of "freedom" and privacy. There was much irony because they also used and discussed cameras in their homes, Alexa, Google, and were doing more social media on their phones because of recent changes to WiFi available in c suite.

They all had late model vehicles. One a Tesla owner. I'd be more worried about making my home an easy thing to find and being listened to by multiple products than new systems coming to cars.

My guess is many or most who are making news for poor choices with autonomous car technology or just making poor choices would be doing more damage if they were keeping some here happy by driving low tech 1966 sedan.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Because a lot people believe all these techno improvements will allow them to do foolish things...and so they do them. Relying on technology too much is the slippery slope.
Anyway, just to clarify, my post was more of a generalization. If you think about it most technological advancements come with a price and in some instances, we were better off without them, way better off.
Modern medicine has allowed us to prolong life, but more often than not the quality of that life is awful.
Ask my 86 year old father-in-law who has a pacemaker and takes over 20 pills a day to live, while he suffers in a nursing home, unable to do anything except exist. I’m not suggesting that lives aren’t saved every day. There is a price though and in his case I wouldn’t call technology a step forward.
I don’t think “a lot of people” will believe such things. Some will, of course.

I don’t think technology is any different from anything else in the world. Everything in the manifest world is a mixed bag. It is the nature of things in this plane of existence. This existence is neither heaven nor “the other place”...but a mix of good and bad in anything and anyone. No reason to single out technology for critical scrutiny or resistance. IMO.

I think the downside of auto technology is pretty minimal compared to the downside of many human drivers. Human drivers can be unskillful drivers, can be distracted, can be impaired, and can make misidentifications and misjudgments of conditions and distances. They can be over confident. They can be careless. They can be pre-occupied with whatever is upsetting to them. Technology can compensate for some of these flaws. Some of these flaws will be superimposed onto any situation. Still, the advances in safety technology are impressive, and should be welcomed.

Last edited by buddyhu; 09-24-2020 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
I don’t think “a lot of people” will believe such things. Some will, of course.

I don’t think technology is any different from anything else in the world. Everything in the manifest world is a mixed bag. It is the nature of things in this plane of existence. This existence is neither heaven nor “the other place”...but a mix of good and bad in anything and anyone. No reason to single out technology for critical scrutiny or resistance. IMO.

I think the downside of auto technology is pretty minimal compared to the downside of many human drivers. Human drivers can be unskillful drivers, can be distracted, can be impaired, and can make misidentifications and misjudgments of conditions and distances. They can be over confident. They can be careless. They can be pre-occupied with whatever is upsetting to them. Technology can compensate for some of these flaws. Some of these flaws will be superimposed onto any situation. Still, the advances in safety technology are impressive, and should be welcomed.
There are three intersections we walk or bike by year-round that are ingress/egress to the neighborhood and one is also a freeway/beltline ingress/egress for our city and a major shopping/hotel/entertainment development. All the time and as much as 80% of the drivers you see distraction. Also accidents.

The distraction and inconsistency isn't just smartphones. People are looking at dashboards, occupants in vehicles, looking away, stuff in vehicles too.

Driving our 3 cars in those spots are reminders. One has no AEB or driving autonomy. Two do. Without fail they watch and react appropriately. You even see older technology save the day. In winter that intersection that also serves the freeway shows older cars but with ABS and ABS doing the job many humans don't.

I don't care how good some drivers are or me. Those times seeing many or most not doing a good job are why we benefit from this stuff.

This week gave me the opportunity for another fun technology poke I like. A few people were being reactionary about change and technology at work considering all our progress so bad. Knowing this about some I reminded them that eyeglasses, dental implants, one's hip replacements and that calculator with paper tape were all modern technology whether you count the world thousands or millions of years old.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic