The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-14-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormin1155 View Post
IMO one of the most underrated picks out there....

I agree.
I got one few weeks ago and really like it.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:49 PM

Been using V-Picks Tradition UL's for awhile now, but a buddy recently turned me on to Primetones, and so far I'm liking the 1.5 gripped triangle Primetones a lot.

However, I still really like the V-Picks Tradition UL's, so I alternate between the V-Picks and the Primetones now.

Old 09-14-2020, 03:03 PM

Dunlop nylon 0.73 and 0.88. And very rarely 0.60.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Lots of picks I love, but since theres only one favorite, I would have to say Charmed Life casein. Pick quality and customer service second to none.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

It's less than 24 hours since my last post here and I've switched my favourite pick already!

I spent the evening playing my Seagull S6 Spruce with a Dunlop Jazztone 207. I used to play the 207 a lot with that guitar and rediscovered why I used to like it. It has a very rounded tone and is soft in the strum, making it easier to sing over the guitar, yet strong for bass runs, licks and fills.

It's Molly Tuttle's favourite pick but I can't say that it is easy to use. It took me a while to get used to it when I bought my first one. And last evening it took 15 minutes or so to get reacquainted with one.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 09-15-2020, 04:48 AM

Fender Thins and their clones, though I will use thin toltex picks from time to time.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:12 AM

After using a real tortoise shell for years and playing the corners off I tried many and settled on the Bluechip TP-1R 60. The rounded corner I use on mandolin.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 09-15-2020, 06:00 AM

Trying new picks, comparing picks, etc. is one of my favorite hobbies. I probably should spend less time messing around with picks and more time actually playing and practicing.

My Top Tier - I love and use all of these regularly:
BlueChip TAD50
Dunlop Primetone Smooth 1.0, 1.3
Dunlop Gator .96, 1.14
Dunlop Ultex 1.14
Charmed Life Casein & Fender Tru Shell Casein (various thicknesses)

Others I enjoy but I don't use quite as often:
Celluloid Medium & Heavy
Wegen TF120
Clayton Ultem .94 (I want to try thicker versions of these, they are interesting and different in their attack and tone)
Nylon 1.0, 1.14

Final note:
I experiment with bevels as well. One of the things that I think makes BlueChips so attractive and addictive is that their bevel is excellent. I have an Ultex 1.14 that is one of my favorites because I worked the bevel exactly like I like it. However, this can be tricky (kind of like sanding saddles) because on some of my picks I went too far with the bevel and now I don't like those. So I think it's best to experiment with less expensive picks when you're beveling, or order an expensive one that already has a nice bevel.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:36 AM

I like thicker picks, around 2.0 mm. I've used most all the picks discussed so far. About a year ago I first tried Gravity Gold picks. They look and feel to be made of PEEK, another "space age" thermoplastic.

These are my favorite picks so far for guitar, mandolin and all my other instruments. They are available in 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 and 2.5 mm thickness in a variety of shapes and sizes. Cost is $20 - $25 depending on thickness/size.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:43 AM

I'm using a V-Pick "Venom" for my regular guitar. Surprisingly, for a slick piece of material, they are easy to grip and hold on to. The sound is nice and big, even though it's a lot thinner than the other picks I use.

On my baritone, I prefer a John Pearse "Fast Turtle" casein pick. It's pretty heavy. It has an interesting attack: When strumming, the sound is bold and brash, but when flatpicking, it's much more mellow.

I also really like the "Surf Pick," which is made from Lignum Vitae.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrumNSing View Post

Final note:
I experiment with bevels as well. One of the things that I think makes BlueChips so attractive and addictive is that their bevel is excellent. I have an Ultex 1.14 that is one of my favorites because I worked the bevel exactly like I like it. However, this can be tricky (kind of like sanding saddles) because on some of my picks I went too far with the bevel and now I don't like those. So I think it's best to experiment with less expensive picks when you're beveling, or order an expensive one that already has a nice bevel.
I’ve been practicing my own bevels as well on many of the different picks in my collection. I hit a home run on my Clayton NuTone medium and a D’Addario 1.25mm Celluloid. They sound and play as good as my Bluechip TP-1R 40 and 50. I’ve tried many different materials like ultex, Taylor thermex, and have had varying success, but really like the two picks I mentioned above. The D’Addario 1.25mm celluloid was the real surprise for me, and since they are so cheap comparatively, I can make a bunch of them and not worry about misplacing one.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:03 AM

Dunlop Delrin 2.0 and Dunlop Gator Grip 2.0
Old 09-15-2020, 11:33 AM

I just discovered D'Andrea Ultra Plecs in 2.0mm. I added a speed bevel to bring out the treble tones, and it sounds great.

It has a strong presence with a good balance between bass and high tones, almost no string/pick click noise, and low friction off the string for a smooth glide when flatpicking.

I wish it came in the shape of Dunlop Flow picks, or the Dunlop 308 (they're nearly identical), but it's available only in 351.

Last edited by Matt G; 09-16-2020 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Dunlop 307 vs 308
Old 09-15-2020, 03:30 PM

So I am almost exclusively a fingerstyle picker and I use a blue generic thumb pick that I get at my local piano/guitar store. I have no idea who makes them but I love them so much. My next favorite would be National. I noticed the other night on the Eagles Farewell concert in Australia their guitar player used a thumb pick for picking and strumming. Mmm.
2017 D'angelico ES1 Archtop
2018 Taylor 914ce
2019 Martin HD-28e
Old 09-15-2020, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Depends on the day. These are the two I use about 95% of the time. Both casein, both 1.5mm, but they sound really different in a way I can't describe. The Red Bear came with rounded corners, on the Charmed Life, I rounded them off myself. The Red Bear is louder and with a more authoritative tone, the Charmed Life can be perfect to take the edge off of heavier strumming. I have similar to identical picks from both makers with the opposite hole/grip going on. A Red Bear with no grips and a Charmed Life (different color) with grips. My fingers need grips some days and do much better without grips other days. But the corresponding picks sound the same, regardless of grips or no grips.

unnamed-2 by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion