The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-13-2020, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Here was my fairly recent attempt to summarize the process, with some representative gear examples:

https://acousticguitar.com/home-reco...oustic-guitar/
Old 09-13-2020, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHey! View Post
I’d like to get some quality gear to start making recordings at home. For now it’ll just be me and my guitar, mostly instrumental (I might try and sing a little), but I’d like gear that I can build upon down the road, if I want. I’ll set the high end of my budget at $5k, but will gladly spend less. I’m only setting it that high because I don’t have a frame of reference and would like to get a range of recommendations. I don’t have a computer that I can use for recording, so maybe I’ll need one? Anyway, looking for your recommendations and insights. Thank you!
Well, after spending a few hundred on mics I don't use, I settled on two AT 2035 mics and I use a Zoom H5 as my recording device. I have a spare bedroom that I record in, which although is not treated, it is the best room in the house for recording.

After recording I will import the raw recordings onto my computer and do editing in Rx 7 Standard. This is a great piece of software that will remove string noise, and other odd noises that can pop up from time to time. Once I get the sound file to a good point I'll then use Reaper to add reverb, adjust the stereo width, fade out etc.

Price list (prices approximate):

AT 2035 mics $300 for the pair
Zoom H5 $280
2 Mic stands $100
Zoom mic boom attachment $20(?)
Reaper $60
Headphones for editing $60
PC/Mac $$?

Good luck, its a lot of fun recording.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 09-13-2020 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
A Mac Pro is a great choice BUT will arguably use up 1/2 your budget.
There are some online stores with excellent reputations selling used Macs. Mac of all Trades is one of them. A 15" MacBook Pro with 16gb of memory (which is the minimum you'd want) can be had for $1000-$1500.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 09-13-2020, 09:31 AM

Default Home recording gear recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Here was my fairly recent attempt to summarize the process, with some representative gear examples:

https://acousticguitar.com/home-reco...oustic-guitar/

Thanks for the link, Doug. That’s an excellent article and valuable resource. Edit: I just spent some time watching you play on YouTube - fantastic! Thanks for sharing your talents!

https://soundcloud.com/user-652759467

Last edited by JHey!; 09-13-2020 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-13-2020, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Doug has been of so much help to myself as well as to others on the recording process. Such a great video.
I need to learn the great Editing techniques Doug shows us in this video. Just awaiting for my new interface to arrive before I attempt to edit.
Funny, I can build pretty complicated Websites, build furniture, Edit Photographs, but very embarrassingly, I am quite scared of learning editing in the DAW...LOL.
Often, It is just taking that first step that is the hardest. And I will take that first step. Just need a little pushing.
That is one of the reasons why the Zoom Recorder is not a bad way to start. Only a few hundred dollars and it allows you to play around with mic positioning and get a reasonable sound.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Wow, it’s overwhelming!

* The likely final purpose will be to share with friends/family, but I would also like to maybe one day put stuff on YouTube or other public platforms. I would like to be able to share recordings on this forum.
* Portability is important. I have some friends who are talented musicians and it’d be fun to record us together if the opportunity arises. I don’t have a dedicated room at home, but I do have space that I could dedicate to recording.
* I’d have to move some stuff around/get rid of some stuff, but space isn’t a big issue. However, I’d like to keep it simple/small for now.
* It’ll be somewhere between one guitar/one live track and Bohemian Rhapsody, but likely really simple. I’d like the ability to record multiple musicians, though.
* I’m not all that tech-knowledgeable, but I can learn quickly. I’d like something that’s easy to get started with, but maybe something that also allows me to go down the rabbit hole.
I’d check out the Lewitt DGT650 for portability. I’ve had one of these for a couple of years and absolutely love it for it portability, easy of use and features and the sound quality is great for a usb mic, totally acceptable for YouTube and demos and just good to have around very easy too use, very well designed.

I don’t have experience with high end mics but on the low end I can recommend the Oktava mk-012 for acoustic guitar, it always just works and has a lot of polar patterns/capsule options.

I was in the position of having to breakdown and setup every time I need to record and the Lewitt really came through there.

For vocals I use an audio Technica at2035 and it just works for my voice another lower end mic.

I think you have an advantage because you have nice guitars, they’ll sound at least decent through anything really with proper mic placement and a good sounding room
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
McSpadden Mountain Dulcimer
Casio CT-S1

Last edited by Mike J. Vitale; 09-13-2020 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I’d like to get some quality gear to start making recordings at home. For now it’ll just be me and my guitar, mostly instrumental (I might try and sing a little), but I’d like gear that I can build upon down the road, if I want. I’ll set the high end of my budget at $5k, but will gladly spend less. I’m only setting it that high because I don’t have a frame of reference and would like to get a range of recommendations. I don’t have a computer that I can use for recording, so maybe I’ll need one? Anyway, looking for your recommendations and insights. Thank you!
For guitar instrumentals I prefer recording in stereo (I use a spaced pair arrangement), so 2 mics for guitar. I prefer sdc mics, and while I like omnis the best they may be more problematic for home recording, so a pair of cardioids is a safer choice. I have a pair of omnis, but I just picked up a pair of used Sennheiser MKH40 mics. I'd be cautious buying used mics, unless you can really trust the seller and the history of the mics you are buying.
Ideally, you might eventually like a pair of external preamps. If so, you could spend less on the interface. As an example, the Speck 5.0 MicPre is very nice for acoustic work (clean, not colored), and Motu interfaces like the 624 are very nice.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 09-14-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
For guitar instrumentals I prefer recording in stereo (I use a spaced pair arrangement), so 2 mics for guitar. I prefer sdc mics, and while I like omnis the best they may be more problematic for home recording, so a pair of cardioids is a safer choice. I have a pair of omnis, but I just picked up a pair of used Sennheiser MKH40 mics. I'd be cautious buying used mics, unless you can really trust the seller and the history of the mics you are buying.
Ideally, you might eventually like a pair of external preamps. If so, you could spend less on the interface. As an example, the Speck 5.0 MicPre is very nice for acoustic work (clean, not colored), and Motu interfaces like the 624 are very nice.
I’ve been wanting to try those Sennheiser mkh40 mics, how do you like them?
Casio CT-S1
Old 09-14-2020, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J. Vitale View Post
I’ve been wanting to try those Sennheiser mkh40 mics, how do you like them?
I just recently picked up a used pair of MKH 40 cardioids, and I just started experimenting with them; they seem as I expected/hoped. Per the specs, they have a very flat extended frequency response, good off axis response, high sensitivity, and very low noise. My application is for stereo recording of solo fingerstyle guitar, in a home setting. They are neutral sounding, realistic to the source, with very good detail (maybe not as detailed and realistic as my Gefell M296S omni micss but I'm not really sure yet).

The pair of MKH40s that I bought were not originally sold as a matched pair. They came with actual frequency response measurements (smoothed / filtered graph compared to the not-smoothed frequency response measurements that come with Gefell mics) and though they were built about 4-5 months apart (in 2019), and originally bought at different times, the frequency response curves are almost identical, and their sensitivity at 1KHz is within 0.5dB of each other.

Overall, at this point I'm very happy with them.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 09-14-2020 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:41 PM

Buy the best mics you can.

IMO, per dollar spent, mics and room treatment have the greatest effect the sound quality of your recordings.

Last edited by Tico; 09-25-2020 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I just recently picked up a used pair of MKH 40 cardioids, and I just started experimenting with them; they seem as I expected/hoped. Per the specs, they have a very flat extended frequency response, good off axis response, high sensitivity, and very low noise. My application is for stereo recording of solo fingerstyle guitar, in a home setting. They are neutral sounding, realistic to the source, with very good detail (maybe not as detailed and realistic as my Gefell M296S omni micss but I'm not really sure yet).

The pair of MKH40s that I bought were not originally sold as a matched pair. They came with actual frequency response measurements (smoothed / filtered graph compared to the not-smoothed frequency response measurements that come with Gefell mics) and though they were built about 4-5 months apart (in 2019), and originally bought at different times, the frequency response curves are almost identical, and their sensitivity at 1KHz is within 0.5dB of each other.

Overall, at this point I'm very happy with them.
Thanks for the response, I heard they maintained a natural sound when close miked which got me interested in them
Casio CT-S1
Old 09-16-2020, 08:14 AM

Thanks for all the great advice/information. I’m going to go the laptop/DAW route. The only thing I’ve acquired so far is a laptop. I’m still researching DAWs, AIs and mics. I’m leaning towards Reaper for the DAW simply because a friend/musical associate uses and vouches for it. Someone else on this thread recommended it, too. There are so many choices for everything, though - trying to avoid analysis paralysis. I’m looking forward to getting everything together and starting the learning process. Hopefully I’ll have something to share in the not-so-distant future.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I’m still researching DAWs, AIs and mics. I’m leaning towards Reaper for the DAW simply because a friend/musical associate uses and vouches for it. Someone else on this thread recommended it, too.
You can try Reaper for 60 days free (and, hint, basically forever if you wait for the nag screen). But even buying the license is only $60. Give it a shot for free; if you run into snags there are a ton of tutorial videos, and if you end up not liking it you're not out anything.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:10 AM

Update: In the last week, I bought a MacBook Pro and a Universal Audio Arrow interface, downloaded Reaper, and borrowed an inexpensive mic (at2020) from a friend. To start, I have been learning the basic DAW operations. I figure I should get somewhat proficient with the recording equipment before I try and record a whole lot. I’ve tracked one song so far. When I figure out how to do some basic mixing and get it into a shareable format I’ll post a link. I’m looking forward to feedback and advice. In the meantime, I haven’t pulled the trigger on a mic/s yet, but that’ll be my next purchase. I’m continuing to research and read reviews. Hopefully I’ll be a bit more proficient with the equipment by the time I get a decent mic of my own. I’m finding the DAW learning curve to be a bit steep, especially at first, but it seems to get more familiar by the day.

Old 09-23-2020, 07:44 AM

Good plan - have fun and looking forward to hearing some tracks!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD