The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-13-2020, 04:33 PM

I liked how Ricciardo split the 2 Mercedes on the 2nd re-start.
He showed the skill was still there even though his car wasn't in the same class.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-13-2020, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

6l6 wrote : " "Sound" is a BIG part of racing for me, and the F-1 cars simply don't deliver in that area".

Different era, way different skill sets, different criteria. F1 is about hybrid power units and ever more remarkable automotive developments.

As regards the engines : 2014–2021 - The FIA announced to change the 2.4 litre V8 to 1.6 litre V6 engines for the 2014 season. The new regulations allow kinetic and heat energy recovery systems [22]. Forced induction is now allowed, and instead of limiting the boost level, fuel flow restriction at 100 kg of gasoline per hour maximum is introduced. They sounded very different due to the lower rev limit (15,000 rpm) and the turbocharger. While superchargers are allowed, all constructors opted to use a turbo.

The new formula allows turbocharged engines, which last appeared in 1988. These have their efficiency improved through turbo-compounding by recovering energy from exhaust gases.[23] The original proposal for four-cylinder turbocharged engines was not welcomed by the racing teams, in particular Ferrari. Adrian Newey stated during the 2011 European Grand Prix that the change to a V6 enables teams to carry the engine as a stressed member, whereas an inline-4 would have required a space frame. A compromise was reached to allow V6 forced induction engines instead.[23] The engines rarely exceed 12,000 rpm during qualifying and race, due to the new fuel flow restrictions.[24]

Energy recovery systems such as KERS had a boost of 160 hp and 2 megajoules per lap. KERS was renamed Motor Generator Unit–Kinetic (MGU-K). Heat energy recovery systems were also allowed, under the name Motor Generator Unit–Heat (MGU-H)

The 2015 season was an improvement on 2014, adding about 30–50 hp (20–40 kW) to most engines, the Mercedes engine being the most powerful with 870 hp (649 kW).

Of the previous manufacturers, only Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault produced engines to the new formula in 2014, whereas Cosworth stopped supplying engines. Honda returned in 2015 with their own engine, while McLaren used Honda power changing from Mercedes power in 2014. In 2019, Red Bull switched from using a Renault engine to Honda power. Honda supplies both Red Bull and AlphaTauri.

Makes those big ol' gas guzzling tractor engines sound a bit stone age doesn't it?
Old 09-14-2020, 12:02 AM

Last weekend the talk was all about reverse order grids. Today, we learned all about reverse grid race starts.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:30 AM

Another stupid penalty given to Lewis Hamilton, this one "discretionary". Even to a casual fan, this is beginning to look like a conspiracy to keep him from breaking Michael Schumacher's records.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:11 PM

I was going to congratulate Lewis on another win, and then I watched the race.

What's it going to take for Bottas to win on merit?

Who was the FIA idiot that came up with the stupidly narrow escape area at turn 2? I thought they were doing those kinds of escape exits for safety reasons, beyond, just the cutting in front of a competitor issue. Instead, it could have caused serious harm (thinking about Carlos's encounter with it).
Old 09-27-2020, 04:07 PM

News just in - Hamilton points penalty imposed by stewards has been reversed after radio communications reveal the team instructed him to practice a re-start in a non designated area - Mercedes fined.

However ... Lewis was very lucky not to be fined for his dress sense.

... and yes, those are pink socks.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
Old 09-28-2020, 09:29 AM

Danny Ric made me smile when the team told him he had a 5 second penalty for turn 2 infringement. His response was "OK, I'll drive faster".

......and he got on with it.

YouTube
Old 09-28-2020, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

I like Formula 1 for a lot of reasons, chief among them being they also turn right once in a while and they have the absolute best pit stops.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Another stupid penalty given to Lewis Hamilton, this one "discretionary". Even to a casual fan, this is beginning to look like a conspiracy to keep him from breaking Michael Schumacher's records.
In both instances he did actually break a written rule. The they had not sanctioned him, then there would have been those who claims that the stewards were showing Hamilton favoritism. No win scenario.

He will break Schumacher's win record eventually. Now he has a chance to equal it in Germany, Schumacher's home country. Appropriate.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:56 AM

My on-demand streaming package for F1 requires me to wait 2 days to watch a broadcast, so I watched the Russian GP last night.

Race for the podium was most just a chance and a prayer for a mistake by another driver. Good midfield dicing again.

Thoughts...

Hamilton claims he has done out of designated area practice starts at many tracks. I don't know if this is true or not. Perhaps other stewards have been letting him get away with it. (and perhaps other drivers too). Here they did not. It might be a case of the stewards trying to go out of their way NOT to show favoritism at play here, I don't know. Interesting that Hamilton has a chance to equal Schumacher now at the German GP, Schumacher's home race. Would that the stands could be full of fans.

Bottas is simply not on the level of Hamilton. Oh, he is a good driver, and by all accounts an excellent teamate and wingman, but, just that and no more. I think if Hamlton and Verstappen were in the same equipment, they would be dicing for the win in every race.

Given the difference in performance, I have to wonder if Vettel is getting the same equipment that Leclerc is.

I feel for Perez. I hope that someone with a competitive car gives him a seat.

It is going to be interesting seeing how the cars develop next year, given that they have to basically run the same chassis as this year. I don't know how much that restriction applies to engines. And they are allowed to implement a certain amount of "upgrades" over a season, so what will that do?

I need eggs...
Old 10-11-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
In both instances he did actually break a written rule. The they had not sanctioned him, then there would have been those who claims that the stewards were showing Hamilton favoritism. No win scenario.

He will break Schumacher's win record eventually. Now he has a chance to equal it in Germany, Schumacher's home country. Appropriate.
Which he just did. Congratulations to Lewis! That was a tricky race. Nice of the Schumacher family to honor his achievement.
Old 10-29-2020, 01:01 PM

I am not surprised that Toto would support this as it would prevent Ferrari from trying to fix their power issues with their engine.

Dirty politics!

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...0YBCCORjo.html
Old 10-29-2020, 02:13 PM

I liked Lando Norris' take on Lewis Hamilton 2 days ago.

After the race on Sunday, Norris was asked what he made of Hamilton breaking Michael Schumacher's all-time record of wins.

"I'm just happy for him, nothing more," the Briton replied. "It doesn't mean anything to me, really. He's in a car which should win every race, basically.

"He has to beat one or two other drivers, that's it. Fair play to him, he's still doing the job he has to do."

He has apologized about saying this now however it does sum up Hamilton's F1 career well.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
Old 10-29-2020, 02:22 PM

As the SkySports commentators pointed out, Michael Schumacher had good cars, too. Personally, I think Hamilton could do well in these races with an E-Class sedan. The guy is a sensational driver. It's not just the car.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I liked Lando Norris' take on Lewis Hamilton 2 days ago.

After the race on Sunday, Norris was asked what he made of Hamilton breaking Michael Schumacher's all-time record of wins.

"I'm just happy for him, nothing more," the Briton replied. "It doesn't mean anything to me, really. He's in a car which should win every race, basically.

"He has to beat one or two other drivers, that's it. Fair play to him, he's still doing the job he has to do."

He has apologized about saying this now however it does sum up Hamilton's F1 career well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
As the SkySports commentators pointed out, Michael Schumacher had good cars, too. Personally, I think Hamilton could do well in these races with an E-Class sedan. The guy is a sensational driver. It's not just the car.
The difference being that Schumacher didn't have to beat the other driver in the fast car because the other driver was never allowed to beat him.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic