The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-10-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
...there is something wrong in the Ferrari team and I wonder whether it is in the car's designs or something to do with that chap with the funny haircut and glasses?
Nah, I don't think Mattia is the problem; he seems to be quite transparent and honest regarding any issues with the team. I believe that whatever it was from last year where they got in trouble with the FIA over their engines/fuel/whatever it really was, that we'll never find out about, is where their troubles lay. Binotto has been quite frank about Ferrari not going to be competitive until 2022 when the new rules and new cars are in place.

Ferrari has been through similar droughts many times over the decades, so this is nothing new, really.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Nah, I don't think Mattia is the problem; he seems to be quite transparent and honest regarding any issues with the team. I believe that whatever it was from last year where they got in trouble with the FIA over their engines/fuel/whatever it really was, that we'll never find out about, is where their troubles lay. Binotto has been quite frank about Ferrari not going to be competitive until 2022 when the new rules and new cars are in place.

Ferrari has been through similar droughts many times over the decades, so this is nothing new, really.
I think you're right about last year's discrepancies tripping them up and yes they have had droughts before but they haven't won the championship since 2007 (and that was a very dodgy year).

As for Mattia Binotto being transparent - that's probably why he's so good at hiding in the crowd with his red and white striped shirt on.

YouTube
Old 08-10-2020, 04:37 PM

That's pre-C19, right?
Old 08-15-2020, 10:33 AM

I've officially decided that Mercedes is not really a part of the F1 fraternity; they are just doing their thing to showoff. From now on, they don't count in the racing results.

Last edited by Jeff Scott; 08-15-2020 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I've officially decided that Mercedes is not really a [art of the F1 fraternity; they are just doing their thing to showoff. From now on, they don't count in the racing results.
Mercedes cars finished 1,2 in the most recent Formula E series race in Berlin, as well.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've officially decided that Mercedes is not really a part of the F1 fraternity; they are just doing their thing to showoff. From now on, they don't count in the racing results.
Every season there is one team that is superior. Ferrari and Renault used to have it in the pocket, even McLaren and Williams in the past!

F1 is a technology war as well as tyre, and engine management strategies and, of course, by far, the best and most highly trained drivers in the world.

Whilst there are ten teams, there are only four engine builders at present. There are currently at least two teams driving, effectively last year's Mercedes and Ferrari cars (Racing Point and Haas).

Last year (was it?) the Honda engines were useless, this year, with Redbull, superior to Ferrari.

Also, its not just about coming first.

Every so often all the rules change, and next year all the cars must be redesigned. The cards get reshuffled.

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 08-16-2020 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

A good race in difficult heat in Barcelona today!

The excellent Sky presenters trying to get decent answers to complex questions and all the drivers just too whacked out to speak.

They all worked really hard, I hope those poor drivers get an extra Dollar in their wage packet !!
Old 08-16-2020, 06:11 PM

Louis is untouchable, but Verstappen continues to impress.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Every season there is one team that is superior. Ferrari and Renault used to have it in the pocket, even McLaren and Williams in the past!

F1 is a technology war as well as tyre, and engine management strategies and, of course, by far, the best and most highly trained drivers in the world.

Whilst there are ten teams, there are only four engine builders at present. There are currently at least two teams driving, effectively last year's Mercedes and Ferrari cars (Racing Point and Haas).

Last year (was it?) the Honda engines were useless, this year, with Redbull, superior to Ferrari.

Also, its not just about coming first.

Every so often all the rules change, and next year all the cars must be redesigned. The cards get reshuffled.
Actually the Honda engines had problems at the beginning of the season with Red Bull, but came on in the latter half. Didn't Verstappen win three races?

Sadly Ferrari has taken a step back, likely because they were doing some things with the engines that skated just a little to close to the edge, and had to dial them back. Which accounts for some of the lack of performance with both the works team and Haas. (The aerodynamic package and setup balance may also be to blame as well) Mercedes, on the other hand, is not only firing on all cylinders, but had built their car under the assumption that the Ferrari of last season would improve. At this point, it is their and Hamilton's championship to lose.

Fyi, they are NOT redesigning the car for next season. The new design parameters have been pushed back a year at least due to the pandemic. so the teams with be running this years car and engine in 2021, with some upgrades. Sadly, for Ferrari.

Usually there is a dominate team, but the next best often challenges for and sometimes wins the championship due to a better strategy, reliability or better driver. This year there may be too much of a gap back to the "next best." But as Verstappen's win at the second Silverstone race shows, they ae still a threat.

And the mid-field racing has been very good this year. Nice to thee that the camera operators and directors have learned not to linger on the leaders disappearing into the distance when there is good midfield dicing going on.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:21 AM

I was going to mention that it is sad to see that Williams is being sold to a private equity firm. Understandable, though.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
I was going to mention that it is sad to see that Williams is being sold to a private equity firm. Understandable, though.
Mixed emotions re the Williams sale. Sad to see such a previously successful 'family' team sold off to a numbers firm but who else can afford to compete in this arena?

On the other hand it is good to know the name will remain and there are no plans to move base or production. Hopefully they will be in a good position to exploit the new regulations in the coming seasons.

Other positives for the future are Racing Point becoming Aston Martin (Hope they go for a British Racing Green livery) and McLaren getting the Mercedes power unit back.

Hopefully we can have some old names finding glory and evening out the field a bit.

YouTube
Old 08-22-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
...the mid-field racing has been very good this year. Nice to thee that the camera operators and directors have learned not to linger on the leaders disappearing into the distance when there is good midfield dicing going on.
The mid-field is where the real action is. To me, these day, F1 is sort of like WEC, for one example, where there are different classes competing on the track at the same time.
Quote:
I was going to mention that it is sad to see that Williams is being sold to a private equity firm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post
Mixed emotions re the Williams sale. Sad to see such a previously successful 'family' team sold off to a numbers firm but who else can afford to compete in this arena?

On the other hand it is good to know the name will remain and there are no plans to move base or production. Hopefully they will be in a good position to exploit the new regulations in the coming seasons.
I have my concerns, too, regarding an investment firm owning Williams. I can't help but look at some other businesses that went that route: Gibson, Guitar Center, etc. Hopefully, Dorilton Capital will stay true to their word.
Old 08-22-2020, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I feel for Claire, (Williams) and have long had the feeling that she has kept the team going, possibly at considerable pesonal and financial cost for as long as her dad Frank is alive.

I hope things work out for the family and the staff.
Old 08-22-2020, 04:23 PM

There is a 2 hour documentary from 2017 just called 'Williams' on Netflix which follows the life of Frank and the team. With interviews from Claire and family and Peter Windsor (his passenger in his accident) the documentary is a must for any F1 fan and is very moving.

Sky also did a one hour doc celebrating Frank's 50 years in F1 that was good but not as in depth and emotional as the 2017 program.

YouTube
Old 08-22-2020, 04:52 PM

I first started watching F1 in 1979 when Australian Alan Jones was having success driving with Williams.
He became World Champion the next year and Williams gained a lot of fans down here.

I'll never understand why they dropped Damon Hill after he won his only F1 Championship in 1996.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic