The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-11-2018, 01:52 PM

Default It took six years and three guitars, but I'm finally 'there'.

The first was a post-Peavey Cargo (2012); not a standout, but I just had to try a carbon, as much for utilitarian reasons as for the carbon sound experience, an ok guitar. Next was the newer generation Rainsong nylon parlor (2017), again for purposes of utility, but would a nylon carbon actually sound good? It only took 9 string changes and a micarta saddle to reveal some stellar qualities in lower tunings. Thirdly, the Emerald X20-7 Opus (2018) is a charm that came my way while searching for something merely respectable and weatherproof. Such a good guitar: chord voices possess an electrified element, which is unusual, as there's no pickup. I have yet to play another guitar with such a quick and effortless bloom.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:07 PM
Guest 928

Bax;

Interesting and neat progression. I have owned the guitars you mention (not counting the extra string on your 20) and found them all worth checking out.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the club Bax...do you have any pictures of that guitar with the extra string? We like to look at them.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:57 PM
Guest 928

WHAT JD SAID........................
Old 08-11-2018, 07:50 PM

Imagine in the mind's eye an image of a plain black, fret akimboed, string crowded, move it out the door at a discount price, getting more finger-smudged by the hour angelic choir. I play righties left-handed, and had wondered if the angles of a fan fret were going to be an issue, but nope, no problems. Since I get more than enough bass with low tunings, I went to a .009" gauge string for the first treble position as opposed to a bottom heavy #7. This bird can sing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber