The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-08-2018, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Bought one. Used it on three different guitars. Noticed no difference. Sold it for the same price I bought it for.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 11-08-2018, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

It seems to me that if you can use the ToneRite to vibrate the guitar enough to loosen the top or back such that it falls off, then the guitar has really opened up such that nobody can ignore the effect the ToneRite has had. End of controversy.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 11-08-2018, 05:40 PM

My stance about Tonerite and similar gadgets is the same as my attitude toward "relic'ed" guitars: I consider both means to "improve" the instrument without going to the effort of actually playing it.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

Last edited by SprintBob; 11-08-2018 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Point can be made in a more civil context.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
My stance about Tonerite and similar gadgets is the same as my attitude toward "relic'ed" guitars: I consider both means to "improve" the instrument without going to the effort of actually playing it.
How about wanting your guitar to sound as good as possible?

Last edited by SprintBob; 11-08-2018 at 06:59 PM. Reason: See edit of previous post.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:19 PM

It seems like it would be easy to create an experiment with two new guitars of the same model and the same strings. Verify that they sound the same. Record. Use Tonerite on one of the guitars and keep the other one in its case. Record them again.
Someone must have done this.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:04 PM

FWIW, it was awfully interesting to hear the following opinion from six of the greatest experts in the world (Linda Manzer, Michael Gurian, Chuck Ericsson, Roger Sadowsky, Dick Boak and Richard Hoover) at the Woodstock Invitational Builders Coffee Talk this year: “Guitars need to be played hard in order to sound their best.”

Food for thought.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
The ToneRite works pretty well on some guitars, not so well on others. The bracing pattern on Larrivée guitars seems to make them immune to the ToneRite, but Martins and - especially - lightly constructed custom guitars definitely show an effect.

whm
^^^
This!

Nothing more needs to be said.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:36 PM
Guest 728

With every Tonerite thread (and thread resurrection), I think about buying one of the darn things, just so I can rent it out to to the curious at a tidy profit.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:01 PM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
It seems like it would be easy to create an experiment with two new guitars of the same model and the same strings. Verify that they sound the same. Record. Use Tonerite on one of the guitars and keep the other one in its case. Record them again.
Someone must have done this.
Here is research paper on vibrational devices titled:

Effect of Vibration Treatment on Guitar Tone:
A Comparative Study

https://www.savartjournal.org/index....iewFile/22/pdf

My own experience parallels that of Wade's, it worked well on some guitars, not so well on others. I considered it a worthwhile investment for the return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
The ToneRite works pretty well on some guitars, not so well on others.
whm
Old 11-08-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Beach View Post
Here is research paper on vibrational devices titled:

Effect of Vibration Treatment on Guitar Tone:
A Comparative Study

https://www.savartjournal.org/index....iewFile/22/pdf

My own experience parallels that of Wade's, it worked well on some guitars, not so well on others. I considered it a worthwhile investment for the return.
From the study: “The results indicate that there was no statistically significant effect of the vibration treatment on any of the five measured qualities of the guitars”
Old 11-08-2018, 09:44 PM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneal View Post
From the study: “The results indicate that there was no statistically significant effect of the vibration treatment on any of the five measured qualities of the guitars”
The beauty or aka caveats of scientific studies...

Quote:
We also do not make conclusions about possible effects of more vigorous vibration treatment, including that of playing the guitar for
decades, or of the effects of simple aging on guitar tone. We do however suggest that the methods utilized in this study can be used to investigate the effects of these treatments and others on wooden string instruments of various types.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Beach View Post
it worked well on some guitars, not so well on others.
YMMV
Old 11-09-2018, 06:41 AM

In all seriousness, if people just buy a guitar they like the sound of, they wouldn’t need a tonerite.

Last edited by srick; 11-09-2018 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Referenced quote has been deleted
Old 11-09-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneal View Post
In all seriousness, if people just buy a guitar they like the sound of, they wouldn’t need a tonerite.
You've missed the point. The idea is that the tonerite will improve the sound of the guitar as can happen over time just by playing it.
If you bought a guitar and loved its sound, just imagine it sounding 10 or 20% better right away with the use of a device.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-09-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
You've missed the point. The idea is that the tonerite will improve the sound of the guitar as can happen over time just by playing it.
If you bought a guitar and loved its sound, just imagine it sounding 10 or 20% better right away with the use of a device.
dneals’s comment is spot on. There’s no indication that a Tonerite will allow it to sound “10 or 20% better right away”, nor is there such a claim. The only consensus, if that, is that it will make the guitar sound different. That could be better and that could be worse.

Way too many people buy acoustic guitars unplayed and then reach for every trick in the book to make them sound like the audio clip they listened to that convinced them to pull the trigger. A lot more due diligence on the front end would alleviate a lot of mistakes.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

Last edited by Goodallboy; 11-09-2018 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 11-09-2018, 08:27 AM

I have used Tonerite on a few guitars and it has had an effect on them for the better, according to my ears. Don't get me wrong, I liked the sound of these guitars when I first got them, but the Tonerite treatment made them even better to my ears. On some more than others, for sure.

The naysayers will naysay and make derisive comments, as they do. I'll be over here enjoying the sound of my guitars.

Last edited by jdto; 11-09-2018 at 08:49 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion