The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-06-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napman41 View Post
Ignore Tommy Emanuel, Molly Tuttle, Joseph Terrell, Chris Frank - "Red Clay Ramblers", Woody Platt, Eli West, Joe henry, Andrew Marlin.
Well, the question is, do those artists really play those guitars on tour and in the studio, or do they just agree to play them for an ad on YouTube? Performing artists need to make money, and if a company approaches them to endorse their products, who'd be to blame them for taking that opportunity to get their name out there? But in my mind, that doesn't automatically translate into a "real" endorsement by an accomplished artist.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 09-06-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George brw View Post
The great relicing that Pre-war does is safe for us and does not look fake in my opinion
But it still is fake. That's what really bothers me about these guitars, regardless of how great they may sound.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 09-06-2019, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
Well, the question is, do those artists really play those guitars on tour and in the studio, or do they just agree to play them for an ad on YouTube? Performing artists need to make money, and if a company approaches them to endorse their products, who'd be to blame them for taking that opportunity to get their name out there? But in my mind, that doesn't automatically translate into a "real" endorsement by an accomplished artist.
PreWar Co does not give away or discount their models in exchange for endorsement (per their website). According to an interview, Tommy Emmanuel went down to check out the PW Co in North Carolina. He claims that BEFORE he went into their shop to check out their operation, he stopped at a dealer and was so blown away by their slope shoulder he bought it right then and there at full price. Then he shows up at PW having already owned one and ordered another.

PreWar Co also claims the aging process is not only about looks (although some people order them for that reason) and, rather, that the aging process actually affects the tone (although you can buy them without any artificial aging). Several reputably luthiers here will acknowledge, for example, that finish check does relief lacquer surface tension allowing wood to move better under vibration--part of why old guitars sound different from new. I'm sure there's more to it, but just one example of a non-visual effect of the artificial aging process. I've never held one, but pickers who have played a lot of old guitars claim these things are the real deal--Tommy E and David Grisman and Molly Tuttle among them.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
But it still is fake. That's what really bothers me about these guitars, regardless of how great they may sound.
Why does it bother you?
Old 09-06-2019, 01:56 PM

I feel bad about artificially distressing the guitar. It seems fake. But as for building a guitar with the pre war sound, that’s a great idea.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
PreWar Co does not give away or discount their models in exchange for endorsement (per their website). According to an interview, Tommy Emmanuel went down to check out the PW Co in North Carolina. He claims that BEFORE he went into their shop to check out their operation, he stopped at a dealer and was so blown away by their slope shoulder he bought it right then and there at full price. Then he shows up at PW having already owned one and ordered another.

PreWar Co also claims the aging process is not only about looks (although some people order them for that reason) and, rather, that the aging process actually affects the tone (although you can buy them without any artificial aging). Several reputably luthiers here will acknowledge, for example, that finish check does relief lacquer surface tension allowing wood to move better under vibration--part of why old guitars sound different from new. I'm sure there's more to it, but just one example of a non-visual effect of the artificial aging process. I've never held one, but pickers who have played a lot of old guitars claim these things are the real deal--Tommy E and David Grisman and Molly Tuttle among them.
I agree with everything said here. There is one slight factual correction. You now have to order at least the Level One Distress Level. It used to be you could order with no distress level.

From the PWG website:

"'Level 1' is our baseline option, it has -no- added play wear or distress.
Starting at level 1 our "distress level" is a critical component to the vintage sound that we are able to achieve. Our finishes are ultra thin Nitro Cellulose."
2006 Jubal Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Prairie State Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Senorita
2020 Iris Smeck
1972 Guild Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux
Old 09-06-2019, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubengal View Post
I agree with everything said here. There is one slight factual correction. You now have to order at least the Level One Distress Level. It used to be you could order with no distress level.

From the PWG website:

"'Level 1' is our baseline option, it has -no- added play wear or distress.
Starting at level 1 our "distress level" is a critical component to the vintage sound that we are able to achieve. Our finishes are ultra thin Nitro Cellulose."
I think what people are objecting to is the higher levels. You used to be able to order a level zero, but the PW folks feel the basic finish checking of a level one contributes to the tone they're going for, so they mandate at least that. Except for maybe a dulled pickguard, level one otherwise really looks like a new guitar. If I had $5000 burning a hole in my pocket, I'd go level one. Ain't she a beauty???

Old 09-06-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
I think what people are objecting to is the higher levels. You used to be able to order a level zero, but the PW folks feel the basic finish checking of a level one contributes to the tone they're going for, so they mandate at least that. Except for maybe a dulled pickguard, level one otherwise really looks like a new guitar.
Yes, for sure.
2006 Jubal Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Prairie State Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Senorita
2020 Iris Smeck
1972 Guild Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux
Old 09-06-2019, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

I see that Collings are now offering their Waterloo range in a "distressed" finish.

Why did I buy my Waterloo? because I wanted a guitar like on of my friends had - a rebuilt '40s Kalamazoo (or was it an L-00?).

We can accept that (real) pre-war instruments, that still survive, and are in playing condition, are often really good sounding instruments (or they may not have survived) and I fully accept that age lends tone to good instruments.

but,

well, a cosmetically pre-aged look just implies that you are something that you aren't.

(Which is why this ol' Limey has a Texan made hat, and great looking Western boots ...... but I don't wear 'em any more).
Old 09-06-2019, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I see that Collings are now offering their Waterloo range in a "distressed" finish.
I'm not a fan of the relic appearance to begin, but these waterloos have the worst aged finish I've seen...

vs. prewar...

Old 09-06-2019, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

I love the tone of these Pre*War dreads. I’m certainly not going to wait 14+ months ordering one so let’s see which opportunity on the used market presents itself first: a Pre*War D, a Martin D-18 Authentic 1937, or maybe an Arcara D1.

Hmmm...

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 09-06-2019, 07:33 PM

As I said in the other thread, doing intentional damage to wonderful guitars is just warped.

Obviously, there are lots of differing opinions on this, but I just see it as fundamentally wrong. By all accounts they make wonderful guitars. To then deface them on purpose, its positively offensive, IMO.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Looks like a pretty cool guitar company to me. I’m not a big fan of relics, but I understand why some are. Seems like they do a good job to me.

How’s the tone?
Old 09-06-2019, 07:38 PM

I've A/B'd several against Martin Authentics and felt the Martins won easily.

That said, Pre Wars are cool guitars and certainly worth trying before buying.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Looks like a pretty cool guitar company to me. I’m not a big fan of relics, but I understand why some are. Seems like they do a good job to me.

How’s the tone?
I am not a vintage Martin tone fanatic per se' not the ideal sound I hear in my head...but...I will say that I think that PWGC gets consistently closest to the iconic vintage 30's-40's Martin tone of any factory/boutique makers out there, including Martin, and they can also, with their very best efforts, rival any of the top level vintage Martin repro luthiers out there as well. They have definitely pretty well figured out the "secret sauce" as it were.

And their relic work is THE BEST, most accurate/authentic that I have seen by far...except for Nash relic'd electrics.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion