The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-14-2017, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Barb 1;

Congratulations, I look forward to subsequent reports. I've tried 12 strings at different times and always walked away from the size, the tuning, and the difficult finger picking. Your 12 string looks like it resolves my previous objections. And has me thinking......
OH NOOOOO! He wants a nylon 12-string... with a thinner body... the size of the Amicus... and a long slot head! Yeah... there's gonna be a bit of an up-charge for that!
Old 04-14-2017, 06:39 PM
Guest 928

Actually, what I've wanted is a thin-bodied X7, woody, nylon string, electric guitar. Six nylon string tunings are enough--12 is a killer. I've played 12 nylon string guitars. Actually, what I should say is that I've tuned 12 string nylon string guitars and haven't had much time for play. However, the six string nylon guitars being produced in CF are light years ahead of the wooden instrument in terms of tuning and staying in tune. I can envision a 12 thingy nylon strung guitar that would be way cool.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Congrats Barb! Great little instrument, and perfect for adding mandolin-like sounds to the mix without having to master the mando. I owned one awhile back, and made the attached recording very soon after I got it. I am now using Nashville tuning on a Taylor GS mini to achieve a similar tone, albeit less mandolinish.

https://soundcloud.com/mike-kelly-4/...-maiden-voyage
Old 04-15-2017, 09:30 AM
Guest 928

Mike;

Very nice, thank you. While the pitch is high, the sound is lush. This sounds like a good solo instrument and also one that would fit almost any musical group.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:25 AM

Thanks, Mike.
Your recording sounds great. I love the sound of the Amicus.
Barb
Old 04-15-2017, 10:28 AM

Hi Evan,
I agree that the Amicus makes a great solo instrument. I look forward to using it in that fashion.
Barb
Old 04-15-2017, 04:11 PM

I have one... the ole "Road Trip" one I think it is... really fun to play
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-15-2017, 05:23 PM

Whoa! A Kramster! How cool is that?

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-15-2017 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Deleted dupe post referred to, adjusted accordingly
Old 04-16-2017, 12:28 PM

Here it is next to the road trip Harp Guitar.

And what it might look like in the hands of a 6ft tall super model..

Or guarded by ancient warriors..

Or framed and sleeping under the clouds...

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

Last edited by kramster; 04-16-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:46 PM

That looks great Barb, and the video by Mike sounds great! I think I'd enjoy playing one of those.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:17 PM

Martingitdave, You would definitely enjoy playing an Amicus! It is a nice experience. I am a finger style player and this guitar has a beautiful sound when plucked with flesh and nails.
Barb
Old 04-16-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Barb, refresh my memory, what exactly is an amicus? Is that the large mandolin thingy?
The Amicus is what happens when a 12-String and a Mandolin fall in love and have little mutant babies.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 04-17-2017, 08:46 AM

All the best Barb!!! Kaki King does some amazing work with alternate tunings on a similar wood version of this type of instrument. Check out her song fences..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKOFrX7hWH0

Some amazing work.... you are making me wishing I did not sell mine....

Enjoy!!!
Old 04-17-2017, 09:25 AM

Thanks, Fixedgear60. It took me a long time to finally order an Amicus because I had played the Veillette Gryphon several times and was planning to get one. But the winter has convinced me that I don't want any more wooden guitars. I think that the Amicus sounds as good as the Gryphon albeit different. I am totally smitten with the Amicus.

I will check out the link you posted. Kaki King does some really interesting playing.
Best,
Barb
Old 04-17-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
All the best Barb!!! Kaki King does some amazing work with alternate tunings on a similar wood version of this type of instrument. Check out her song fences..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKOFrX7hWH0

Some amazing work.... you are making me wishing I did not sell mine....

Enjoy!!!
The specs of the Veillette Gryphon are really close to identical with the Amicus.

Both are D tuning.
Gryphon 18.5 scale length.
Amicus 18.0 scale length.

But the starting price for the Veillette Gryphon is $4,450.

That means you could buy 3 Emerald Amicus Opus, and have hundreds left over in your pocket, or or almost 3 Amicus Artisans. Best of all, the tuning of the 12 string carbon fiber would be rock stable compared with wood.

Kaki King plays one of her tunes often referred to as Celtic Tune that just begs to be played on an instrument made in Ireland, IMO.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber